Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Well.... that's what I thought too. But my wife's data has proved it different. And the research of the Healthy Diet trainer has also shown it to b e different than total starvation. Apparently it doesn't take much to send one into conservation mode. Maybe it takes a lot more when you are only 22 years old. Again, wifey is 58 and I'm almost 61.

Z
Is "Healthy Diet" the name of a program? And where is the research of the Healthy Diet trainer and how was it conducted?

If one could be skinny by knowing about diets I would be Kate Moss and I don't think I know a program called Healthy Diet.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You were just helping Twinkie celebrate its 80th birthday on 4/7/10! No ER for this snack cake.

Twinkies and beer--now there's a diet that won't put me into starvation mode (the beer will supply all the nutrients). Plus of course the occasional chili dog to keep the calorie count up.
Beer, chili dogs, and Twinkies. Can we devise a food pyramid for that?

Old 04-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Beer, chili dogs, and Twinkies. Can we devise a food pyramid for that?
The BCT diet would make people LOOK like pyramids!

The trainers would teach the most efficient bending of the elbow to strengthen those muscles.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It can be. But when someone starts a thread with all sorts of specific numbers and also appears to come to some debatable conclusions, and adds all caps to statements claiming they are unbelievable, when some of us consider them believable, I don't think the OP should be surprised that analysis, suggestions and debate follows. Examples:

CONVERSATION AS AN END TO ITSELF:

Z) Nice weather we are having, eh? ( a general comment)
Z's neighbor) Yeah, nice, maybe I'll take a bike ride.

CONVERSATION LIKELY TO RESULT IN DEBATE:

Z) We had 9" of snow yesterday! ( a specific, verifiable statement)
Z's neighbor) No we didn't, it was 80 and sunny, are you on something?

Discuss

-ERD50
Not a clue what you are talking about. I've been enjoying the varied responses to my post, all 43 of them so far. Don't understand your goal oriented approach to everything. I'm sorry but I cannot help it if some of you feel that things I think are unbelievable, are actually believable. Nothin' I can do about that, unless I contact you first to ask if my post is OK. And guess what? I'm not going to get your permissions about whether I'm posting right.

You should probably avoid responding to my posts, since you have over and again completely misconstrued them here and other places on ER.

Zarathu
Old 04-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Is "Healthy Diet" the name of a program? And where is the research of the Healthy Diet trainer and how was it conducted?

If one could be skinny by knowing about diets I would be Kate Moss and I don't think I know a program called Healthy Diet.
My wife says that its called "LIVING HEALTHY, LIVING WELL". The author is Phyllis Bullins. She has a book out:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Liv.../9780741449122

Apparently she just happens to live around Philadelphia and is running the course at my wife's school.

Z
Old 04-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Someone with more than 3800 posts here has to ask me what I got out of conversation? You're funny.

Surely you jest! Conversation is an end in itself.
Take a look at the stats - on a daily basis you post 2x+ more than I do.

I was just interested to see if your answer was good enough not to add you to my ignore list. It wasn't
Old 04-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #47

Quote:
My wife says that its called "LIVING HEALTHY, LIVING WELL". The author is Phyllis Bullins. She has a book out:

Living Healthy, Living Well, Phyllis Bullins, Book - Barnes & Noble

Apparently she just happens to live around Philadelphia and is running the course at my wife's school.

Z
Thanks for the link. FWIW, I've found the discussion generated by this thread you started quite interesting.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I was just interested to see if your answer was good enough not to add you to my ignore list. It wasn't......
Oh..... thank the Lord for small gifts!
Old 04-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Thanks for the link. FWIW, I've found the discussion generated by this thread you started quite interesting.
I agree...... when a whole lot of people have a lot of varying opinions and comments, I get to learn all kinds of new things. If everyone believed the same about everything, then there wouldn't be any excitement about anything!

Since I've increased my fluid intake, I've begin to dislike coffee, and prefer just water. And I'm a REAL COFFEE DRINKER!

Z
Old 04-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #50

Quote:
Since I've increased my fluid intake, I've begin to dislike coffee, and prefer just water. And I'm a REAL COFFEE DRINKER!

Z
Interesting - I'm a big coffee drinker also but the increased fluid intake hasn't altered that. However, lots of other tastes have changed. For example, we used to LOVE Popeyes fried chicken, and their biscuits and beans. When we moved back to Louisiana a couple of years ago we went to our favorite Popeyes for old times sake and were surprised to find that we did not like it at all !! (and I could list loads of other examples).
Old 04-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Zarathu, hopefully this works for your wife long term, but 4 weeks on a particular diet and not losing weight on it isn't reflective of long term efficacy either. Whether that's 1400 calories or 800. Guaranteed the first 2 weeks are water weight loss, they always are - more if the person was quite overweight to begin with.

I can't fathom anyone doing 800 calories a day for 3 months, not losing a pound and actually sticking to it. You must have phenomenal self discipline to keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

A pretty good sample of people who do get to those levels are those who've had bariatric surgery. I've seen and read about too many people who have had bypasses etc. that have lost week after week on those low calorie intakes not to wonder if you had carb or calorie creep.

I've gone low carb in the past and not lost much (after the initial glycogen store flush) for a few weeks in a row, but my clothes were getting looser. After awhile, the fat loss gets reflected on the scale.

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Living Healthy, Living Well, Phyllis Bullins, Book - Barnes & Noble

Z
That's a new one for me--she must be local to your area. Did she do research on "starvation mode"?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That's a new one for me--she must be local to your area. Did she do research on "starvation mode"?
ITS NOT in her book. But she talked about it in her class with the students.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not a clue what you are talking about. I've been enjoying the varied responses to my post, all 43 of them so far. Don't understand your goal oriented approach to everything. I'm sorry but I cannot help it if some of you feel that things I think are unbelievable, are actually believable. Nothin' I can do about that, unless I contact you first to ask if my post is OK. And guess what? I'm not going to get your permissions about whether I'm posting right.
I certainly don't want you to seek my permission, and it isn't mine to give. All I said (and I guess you really don't understand it) is that if you post such things to a discussion forum, it should be expected for discussion to follow.

Quote:
You should probably avoid responding to my posts, since you have over and again completely misconstrued them here and other places on ER.

Zarathu
Perhaps, but I find some of them interesting and informative. I like to be exposed to different viewpoints, if all I want to do is agree with myself, I have several mirrors in the house.

-ERD50
Old 04-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Take a look at the stats - on a daily basis you post 2x+ more than I do.

Yeah..... I have the highest number of posts in the shortest amount of time in the history of the board. Other people may have beaten my record but their records have been obliterated by time. Its the key: I just like to talk! You don't talk for a living without that happening.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You are wrong. I know exactly how many calories are involved.
Sorry, your results are not physically possible. You are miscounting, and not by a little bit.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

My own experience has been similar to the OP's wife: I stopped losing doing weight watchers after I was 50 or so - very frustrating. I ALWAYS was hungry on WW. I am not hugely overweight nor have ever been - but I have just lost 20 pounds in a year (did not diet the whole time) and have another 15 or 20 to go. I had reached my all-time high thanks to prednisone...

Anyhow, in 2002 I read Atkins carefully and decided - in desperation - to try it. It works for me. I do induction most of the time. Generally my cholesterol levels improve after a few weeks, over all. I don't remember the numbers off hand.

I do remember trying to eat less and yet gaining weight or not losing and being hungry all the time.

The thing about a really low-carb diet is it burns fat, not muscle. I look much more toned when I'm on it than when I lose a similar amount of weight on low calorie diets. If I ever get down to a level where I am thin-ish... Don't know what I'll look like. I also don't get as hungry and don't get low blood sugar exhaustion on Atkins. I didn't give up caffeine or rx meds (the book likes you to do all that - can't, in my case).

If you do Atkins - you need to read the book seriously. It isn't as simple as low carb. People have gotten very ill ignoring how they feel on this diet.

There's a good book out in addition to Atkins' diet book: "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. The original article in the NY Times magazine is a quicker read: "What if it's all been a big fat lie"?

What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie? - NYTimes.com