Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here:Officials: Second person being monitored for Ebola
Officials: Second person being monitored for Ebola

And:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/us...h-patient.html

"Health officials in Dallas said Wednesday that they believed Mr. Duncan came in contact with at least 12 to 18 people when he was experiencing symptoms. So far, none has been confirmed infected."

By te way I was wrong a while back, predicting that some ebola carrier will hike across the southern border.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If they don't take extreme measures to nip this in the bud, there will be a panic. This is a time to say 'the hell with individual rights', quarantine aggressively, and people coming in from contaminated countries should have to have reasonable proof they were not in contact before boarding a plane coming here, and maybe submit to quarantine anyhow. IMO (not a medical professional).

-ERD50
I cannot fathom why we are allowing flights from or people with passports from the affected countries into the US.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Where was it reported that his sister now has symptoms?
Here it is. It is not confirmed yet, maybe she just has the flu.... maybe it is not his sister either.

Health officials are closely monitoring a possible second Ebola patient who had close contact with the first person to be diagnosed in the U.S., the director of Dallas County's health department said Wednesday.

Officials: Second person being monitored for Ebola

Or maybe a third...
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare...-case-in-miami

And do not forget, he was out and about for 4 days while he had symptoms. Who knows how many he may have spread it to. maybe it is not very contagious?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the links.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
<snip>
Or maybe a third...
Possible Ebola case reported in Miami | TheHill
<snip>
That link is from September 8, and 2 tests showed that it was not Ebola.
CDC Says Ebola Tests for Miami Patient are Negative | NBC 6 South Florida
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I cannot fathom why we are allowing flights from or people with passports from the affected countries into the US.
The flight part is easy. There are no direct flights from Liberia to the US; he changed planes in Brussels. Doubtful we would bar people flying here from Belgium. We have no idea what sort of passport he has (at least I don't).
Old 10-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The flight part is easy. There are no direct flights from Liberia to the US; he changed planes in Brussels. Doubtful we would bar people flying here from Belgium. We have no idea what sort of passport he has (at least I don't).
Frankly, the civilian air transport from the affected countries should be discontinued for the duration. Not holding my breath for that one.

It appears you can still buy N95 masks on Amazon. The "Ohsiht-o-meter" has not gone into the red yet for the Merkin public.

- George Orwell

Old 10-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is particularly humorous because ebola is not airborne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
It appears you can still buy N95 masks on Amazon. The "Ohsiht-o-meter" has not gone into the red yet for the Merkin public.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #29

But it could go airborne any second now!!! I've got my place set up a la Chuck Heston/Will Smith/Eugene Arnprior in Omega Man/I Am Legend/The Last Canadian; back up generators, positive pressure ventilation, NBC suits, automatic weapons, 5 years of rations, the whole deal. Money well spent in my mind.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

One can conclude from the news articles that this Liberian in Dallas flew here to try to save his life. His experience in Liberia clearly told him: "You are a dead man."

If Al Qaeda / ISIS wanted to make this interesting, they would provide money to have people with Ebola fly to the US.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
At least for now, as far as we know.

- George Orwell

Old 10-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
One can conclude from the news articles that this Liberian in Dallas flew here to try to save his life. His experience in Liberia clearly told him: "You are a dead man."

If Al Qaeda / ISIS wanted to make this interesting, they would provide money to have people with Ebola fly to the US.
Ebola infected suicide bombers?

- George Orwell

Old 10-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Of course it's not. You can only get it from bodily fluids.

Which means the person that flew over here either came into contact with a prostitute, or contracted it in some other far more indirect method that no health organization is willing to admit to-everything from sweat on an airplane armrest/seat/tray table, to any surface in public, to airborn phlegm particles from coughing.

My bet is that it's far more transmissible than they are willing to admit. And if any other people in the US come down with it from the guy that wasn't showing symptoms (everything from healthcare workers to family to random public), it begs the question "just how did THEY get it?"
Old 10-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post

My bet is that it's far more transmissible than they are willing to admit. And if any other people in the US come down with it from the guy that wasn't showing symptoms (everything from healthcare workers to family to random public), it begs the question "just how did THEY get it?"

Scary stuff.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:

Which means the person that flew over here either came into contact with a prostitute, or contracted it in some other far more indirect method that no health organization is willing to admit to-everything from sweat on an airplane armrest/seat/tray table, to any surface in public, to airborn phlegm particles from coughing.

I'm sorry. I can't let you malign the man without comment. This NYT article explains the most likely source of the infection -- he helped take an ebola-stricken pregnant woman to the hospital and then back home when there was no room at the hospital for her.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/wo...=top-news&_r=1
Old 10-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My understanding is that early symptoms is just a fever. I know plenty of people that don't even know when they have a fever much less some random person.

They have been studying Ebola for 30 years so they have pretty good understanding of it. That said this outbreak is one and probably soon two orders of magnitude larger than any other one, so he virus does have a chance of mutate, and they'll be more opportunity to find out if transmission is possible via things like sweat or airborne phlegm is possible.

On the bright side, I bet you can get great deals on blood diamonds in Sierra Leone right now..
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #37
Administrator

I don't think there has ever been any doubt that it can be transmitted by sweat.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #38

What a difference 24 hours makes...

The Tuesday NBC Evening News was pre-empted locally for a news conference by Texas Health Presbyterian Dallas (THPD for short). Two potentates there, the head of infectious diseases, and the executive VP went on and on about how they were all ready for ebola, spread by bodily fluids only, on and on how there were no worries.
This is the same hospital that sent the guy home from their ER two days earlier with antibiotics.

Today we hear that when the guy went into THPD's ER days previous, he said he had just been in LIBERIA! And they checked off that they asked him about travel. And they sent him home!
Oh yes, they have it ALL under control. We don't need to worry.

I can't stand potentates who get up there, and spout the same things over and over as if that is the way it is, no possibility of them being wrong. No gray area.

We hear it is only spread by contact with bodily fluids, which they admit includes sweat. OK, so someone with active transmittance ebola wipes their fevered brow, and then touches a door knob, or an armrest of a chair. How long can the virus stay alive and viable in that case? How about the same with saliva? Mucus of any sort? Vomit? and on and on through all bodily fluids.

Yet we hear that ebola has been around for 30 years or so, and has been extensively studied. OK, what are the answers to the questions I outlined above? And I don't think I'm some genius, others can think about those vectors too.

It reminds me of a phrase that is commonly used when a large amount of personal data is stolen or misplaced - "There is no indication that any personal information has been used for illegal purposes"... I always tag on to that one important word - "YET!"

I would rather that someone say they don't know, then spew out platitudes.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
How long can the virus stay alive and viable in that case? How about the same with saliva? Mucus of any sort? Vomit? and on and on through all bodily fluids.

Yet we hear that ebola has been around for 30 years or so, and has been extensively studied. OK, what are the answers to the questions I outlined above? And I don't think I'm some genius, others can think about those vectors too.
I think we will know the answers in about 3 weeks for the folks in Dallas.

Of course, you know what the budgets are for the NIH and the CDC which have programs to research infectious diseases like ebola. Have those budgets gone up or down in the past 5 years?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:23 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I don't think there has ever been any doubt that it can be transmitted by sweat.
Listening to Dr. today it CAN'T be transmitted by a few drops sweat. Not only do you contact with bodily fluid but it needs to a large quantity. For instance being vomited is a good way of catching it. But even been splashed by blood of Ebola victim doesn't mean you'll get Ebola unless you have an open sore. The immune system can handle small amount of the virus. It can even handle large amounts of the virus as long as you get proper hydration and electrolytes e.g. getting an IV drip.

Two important points he made. This is a very hard virus to transmit, there has never been a transmission of Ebola to another person outside of West Africa. 60%+ of the cases transmitted in West Africa is caused by their burial practices.
[QUOTE] in the Ugandan ceremonies the Hewletts witnessed, the sister of the deceased’s father is responsible for bathing, cleaning, and dressing the body in a “favorite outfit.” This task, they write, is “too emotionally painful” for the immediate family. In the event that no aunt exists, a female elder in the community takes this role on. The next step, the mourning, is where the real ceremony takes place. “Funerals are major cultural events that can last for days, depending on the status of the deceased person,” they write. As the women “wail” and the men “dance,” the community takes time to “demonstrate care and respect for the dead.” The more important the person, the longer the mourning. When the ceremony is coming to a close, a common bowl is used for ritual hand-washing, and a final touch or kiss on the face of the corpse (which is known as a “a love touch”) is bestowed on the dead. When the ceremony has concluded, the body is buried on land that directly adjoins the deceased’s house because “the family wants the spirit to be happy and not feel forgotten.”/QUOTE]

Now person who has died from Ebola has a concentration of the virus and is leaking fluids from pretty much every orifice of their body. Needless to say this is not a common practice in the US or even the rest of the world.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote