Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #521
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Well so much for the experts in health knowing everything there is to know about Ebola:

U.S. scientists say uncertainties loom about Ebola's transmission, other key facts

"But penetration through intact skin has not been definitively ruled out, said hemorrhagic-fever expert Thomas Ksiarek of the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB), who co-led a session on Ebola's transmission routes."
I was not aware that previous statements had been made by health experts that ruled out any such contact with intact skin. After all, skin does have pores. I have always heard any exposed skin contact with bodily fluids was the vehicle for transmission.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #522
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The swine flu was serious. You'd get a fever, a sore throat, and an uncontrollable desire to make love in the mud.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 11-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #523

Three days later, Ebola has mostly disappeared from the American scene.

Doing a control F search on the Google news website there were three results... two of which related to a panic on a nude beach. The Drudge headlines showed no mention of Ebola. Alternet had two mentions, both having only to do with the economy. Trending Fox News featured something about Jesse Duggar and BBC featured the Victoria's Secret story....

How soon we forget.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #524

So was it "we dodged a bullet" or "much ado about nothing"?
Old 11-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #525

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
So was it "we dodged a bullet" or "much ado about nothing"?
IMO, there still doesn't seem to be a precise knowledge of its transmission. People kept parroting the line of "you can only catch it from bodily fluids" to suggest that they would have to have an open wound that's dripping blood right down on you to catch it...but then they seemed to gradually admit that other forms of transmission were feasible (sneezing in the immediate vicinity, the virus being on a surface for several hours, etc.)

Because of this, and because of the severe side effects/possible mortality rates and intense treatment and isolation requirements, I'd say that it's more of the former than the latter.

Probably the only thing that really saved us is that more people in the Ebola-stricken areas didn't have enough money to buy a plane ticket to a developed nation to try and get 1st world treatment. If that had happened - it would have been much more of a challenge, with possibly very bad outcomes if it spread. And given that it seemed most 1st world nations except the US had travel bans in place, you can guess where the few places were that they would have been able to go to.

And I believe that they only had the temperature monitoring stations in what, 6 airports? So all someone would have to do is pick a flight route that enters the US in an airport other than one of those 6.

And even if the 6 US monitoring airports had received, say, just 10 people with high fevers and advanced stages of Ebola, what would they have done - corralled them into an airport lounge to sit and wait to be flown back to where they came from? Or would they have sent them to the nearest US hospital for treatment?

AFAIK, no Ebola airline passengers were identified as having elevated temperatures in the US airports that later tested positive for Ebola - but what was the game plan if they did find people that tested positive? And what if those numbered in the dozens?
Old 11-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #526
Full time employment: Posting here.

The problem with all this is our priors suck. We have data from Africa, but it isn't that relevant here. And our data here doesn't yet rise above the level of anecdote.

The anecdote, however, is very encouraging. If it's not mere luck that a Duncan-scale screw up leads to zero community infections we can turn off the Ebola channel and maybe find one covering entero virus 68.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #527
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Three days later, Ebola has mostly disappeared from the American scene.

Doing a control F search on the Google news website there were three results... two of which related to a panic on a nude beach. The Drudge headlines showed no mention of Ebola. Alternet had two mentions, both having only to do with the economy. Trending Fox News featured something about Jesse Duggar and BBC featured the Victoria's Secret story....

How soon we forget.
I googled ebola and got hundreds and hundred of news results
Old 11-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #528

For my opinion devoid of science, I choose to believe that we have latent Ebola in thousands of people wandering around Texas, New York, and Minnesota. I don't' have facts to back that up. I just decided that is what is going on here.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #529
Give me a forum ...

From ABC News:
Quote:
Former President George W. Bush Visits Dallas Hospital That Faced Ebola

The Texas hospital that battled Ebola this fall got a special visit from former President George W. Bush today.

Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas became the first to diagnose an Ebola patient in the United States and then faced a nightmare as that patient died and two nurses became infected.

“The last five weeks have been a trying time for the city and residents of Dallas and especially the people of Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas,” Bush told the hospital staff, including Ebola survivor nurse Amber Vinson. “I appreciate the way the hospital and its professionals are sharing lessons learned in a way that helps the broader United States health care community respond to this terrible virus. As someone who has gone to Presbyterian hospital for care myself, I know it is a dedicated, professional and caring place, and I’m confident it is doing what is necessary to reaffirm the community’s trust.”
Today, Texas's Ebola ordeal ended when the last of its 177 people who had contact with the three Ebola patients completed the 21-day monitoring period, Ebola-free.
The high-profile visit might help dispel any lingering doubts prospective patients might have about getting treated at a hospital that was tied so prominently to this nasty infectious disease. A good news story.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #530
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Three days later, Ebola has mostly disappeared from the American scene. .............
I'm sure it was not spun up due to the election.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #531

I guess it was kind of like the fear over nuclear reactors near oceans. After the one incident, we have not had another nuclear reactor meltdown caused by a tsunami, showing that all of that fear was unjustified.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #532
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I guess it was kind of like the fear over nuclear reactors near oceans. After the one incident, we have not had another nuclear reactor meltdown caused by a tsunami, showing that all of that fear was unjustified.
But feel free to keep trying.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #533
Give me a forum ...

New York doctor cleared of Ebola, which means there are no known Ebola cases in the U.S.

Quote:
Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Monday that people should be reassured by the fact that tried-and-true approaches, such as contact-tracing and active monitoring, have helped to prevent broader transmission of the disease in the United States.
“In fact, it has worked,” he said, noting that contacts of patients in Dallas have all been cleared and that people who interacted with Spencer so far appear healthy.

On the other hand the real battle in West Africa continues and while there are signs of hope in Liberia, that isn't true in Sierra Leone.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #534
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder how Doctors without Borders is holding up for volunteers/medical teams. I know they have the funds but keeping up staff when the pressure is so high must be difficult.

When the tsunami hit in 2003/? they had so many donations they could not take restricted donations specific to that disaster because they were maxed out on available teams.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #535

I contacted several AirBNB hosts in the Houston area inquiring about a medium stay of a week or two. One guy has young children and was alarmed about me infecting his family with "infectious diseases coming out of Thailand."

I wrote back and asked him which particular 'infectious diseases' he was referring to. He had no idea but he still wanted reassurances that I was free of 'infectious diseases.'

You know, Thailand, that disease ridden country in the heart of Africa...

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
You know, Thailand, that disease ridden country in the heart of Africa...

There is just no hope sometimes....
Old 11-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #537

^ Yeah, I was thinking 'Ebola reported in Dallas and he was interrogating me on some disease that he couldn't identify'

Some people

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #538
Give me a forum ...

What happened to the Ebola "crisis"?

It seems to have evaporated after the election.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #539
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
What happened to the Ebola "crisis"?

It seems to have evaporated after the election.
Once no more people in the US contracted the disease, everyone lost interest.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #540
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Once no more people in the US contracted the disease, everyone lost interest.
Yea! Problem solved.