Ebola in Texas

I cannot fathom why we are allowing flights from or people with passports from the affected countries into the US.

The flight part is easy. There are no direct flights from Liberia to the US; he changed planes in Brussels. Doubtful we would bar people flying here from Belgium. We have no idea what sort of passport he has (at least I don't).

The flight part is easy. There are no direct flights from Liberia to the US; he changed planes in Brussels. Doubtful we would bar people flying here from Belgium. We have no idea what sort of passport he has (at least I don't).

Frankly, the civilian air transport from the affected countries should be discontinued for the duration. Not holding my breath for that one.

It appears you can still buy N95 masks on Amazon. The "Ohsiht-o-meter" has not gone into the red yet for the Merkin public.

This is particularly humorous because ebola is not airborne.

It appears you can still buy N95 masks on Amazon. The "Ohsiht-o-meter" has not gone into the red yet for the Merkin public.

But it could go airborne any second now!!! I've got my place set up a la Chuck Heston/Will Smith/Eugene Arnprior in Omega Man/I Am Legend/The Last Canadian; back up generators, positive pressure ventilation, NBC suits, automatic weapons, 5 years of rations, the whole deal. Money well spent in my mind.

Last edited:
One can conclude from the news articles that this Liberian in Dallas flew here to try to save his life. His experience in Liberia clearly told him: "You are a dead man."

If Al Qaeda / ISIS wanted to make this interesting, they would provide money to have people with Ebola fly to the US.

One can conclude from the news articles that this Liberian in Dallas flew here to try to save his life. His experience in Liberia clearly told him: "You are a dead man."

If Al Qaeda / ISIS wanted to make this interesting, they would provide money to have people with Ebola fly to the US.

Ebola infected suicide bombers?

This is particularly humorous because ebola is not airborne.

Of course it's not. You can only get it from bodily fluids.

Which means the person that flew over here either came into contact with a prostitute, or contracted it in some other far more indirect method that no health organization is willing to admit to-everything from sweat on an airplane armrest/seat/tray table, to any surface in public, to airborn phlegm particles from coughing.

My bet is that it's far more transmissible than they are willing to admit. And if any other people in the US come down with it from the guy that wasn't showing symptoms (everything from healthcare workers to family to random public), it begs the question "just how did THEY get it?"

Last edited:
My bet is that it's far more transmissible than they are willing to admit. And if any other people in the US come down with it from the guy that wasn't showing symptoms (everything from healthcare workers to family to random public), it begs the question "just how did THEY get it?"

Scary stuff.

Which means the person that flew over here either came into contact with a prostitute, or contracted it in some other far more indirect method that no health organization is willing to admit to-everything from sweat on an airplane armrest/seat/tray table, to any surface in public, to airborn phlegm particles from coughing.

I'm sorry. I can't let you malign the man without comment. This NYT article explains the most likely source of the infection -- he helped take an ebola-stricken pregnant woman to the hospital and then back home when there was no room at the hospital for her.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/w...t-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

My understanding is that early symptoms is just a fever. I know plenty of people that don't even know when they have a fever much less some random person.

They have been studying Ebola for 30 years so they have pretty good understanding of it. That said this outbreak is one and probably soon two orders of magnitude larger than any other one, so he virus does have a chance of mutate, and they'll be more opportunity to find out if transmission is possible via things like sweat or airborne phlegm is possible.

On the bright side, I bet you can get great deals on blood diamonds in Sierra Leone right now..:nonono:

I don't think there has ever been any doubt that it can be transmitted by sweat.

What a difference 24 hours makes...

The Tuesday NBC Evening News was pre-empted locally for a news conference by Texas Health Presbyterian Dallas (THPD for short). Two potentates there, the head of infectious diseases, and the executive VP went on and on about how they were all ready for ebola, spread by bodily fluids only, on and on how there were no worries.
This is the same hospital that sent the guy home from their ER two days earlier with antibiotics.

Today we hear that when the guy went into THPD's ER days previous, he said he had just been in LIBERIA! And they checked off that they asked him about travel. And they sent him home!
Oh yes, they have it ALL under control. We don't need to worry.

I can't stand potentates who get up there, and spout the same things over and over as if that is the way it is, no possibility of them being wrong. No gray area.

We hear it is only spread by contact with bodily fluids, which they admit includes sweat. OK, so someone with active transmittance ebola wipes their fevered brow, and then touches a door knob, or an armrest of a chair. How long can the virus stay alive and viable in that case? How about the same with saliva? Mucus of any sort? Vomit? and on and on through all bodily fluids.

Yet we hear that ebola has been around for 30 years or so, and has been extensively studied. OK, what are the answers to the questions I outlined above? And I don't think I'm some genius, others can think about those vectors too.

It reminds me of a phrase that is commonly used when a large amount of personal data is stolen or misplaced - "There is no indication that any personal information has been used for illegal purposes"... I always tag on to that one important word - "YET!"

I would rather that someone say they don't know, then spew out platitudes.

How long can the virus stay alive and viable in that case? How about the same with saliva? Mucus of any sort? Vomit? and on and on through all bodily fluids.

Yet we hear that ebola has been around for 30 years or so, and has been extensively studied. OK, what are the answers to the questions I outlined above? And I don't think I'm some genius, others can think about those vectors too.

I think we will know the answers in about 3 weeks for the folks in Dallas.

Of course, you know what the budgets are for the NIH and the CDC which have programs to research infectious diseases like ebola. Have those budgets gone up or down in the past 5 years?

I don't think there has ever been any doubt that it can be transmitted by sweat.

Listening to Dr. today it CAN'T be transmitted by a few drops sweat. Not only do you contact with bodily fluid but it needs to a large quantity. For instance being vomited is a good way of catching it. But even been splashed by blood of Ebola victim doesn't mean you'll get Ebola unless you have an open sore. The immune system can handle small amount of the virus. It can even handle large amounts of the virus as long as you get proper hydration and electrolytes e.g. getting an IV drip.

Two important points he made. This is a very hard virus to transmit, there has never been a transmission of Ebola to another person outside of West Africa. 60%+ of the cases transmitted in West Africa is caused by their burial practices.
in the Ugandan ceremonies the Hewletts witnessed, the sister of the deceased’s father is responsible for bathing, cleaning, and dressing the body in a “favorite outfit.” This task, they write, is “too emotionally painful” for the immediate family. In the event that no aunt exists, a female elder in the community takes this role on. The next step, the mourning, is where the real ceremony takes place. “Funerals are major cultural events that can last for days, depending on the status of the deceased person,” they write. As the women “wail” and the men “dance,” the community takes time to “demonstrate care and respect for the dead.” The more important the person, the longer the mourning. When the ceremony is coming to a close, a common bowl is used for ritual hand-washing, and a final touch or kiss on the face of the corpse (which is known as a “a love touch”) is bestowed on the dead. When the ceremony has concluded, the body is buried on land that directly adjoins the deceased’s house because “the family wants the spirit to be happy and not feel forgotten.”/QUOTE]

Now person who has died from Ebola has a concentration of the virus and is leaking fluids from pretty much every orifice of their body. Needless to say this is not a common practice in the US or even the rest of the world.

I cannot fathom why we are allowing flights from or people with passports from the affected countries into the US.

Our local US Congressional representative is trying to pass a bill that would preclude any flights (passengers) that originated from Liberia from coming to US. I assume this refers to passengers that fly thru other countries, as I do not believe there are any direct flights currently.

My ohshit-meter is itching to climb and I'm starting to think through plans on what we should do if it's not be contained. I've never been a bugout type of thinker but for the first time I find myself thinking through scenarios. I suspect I'm not the only one who is thinking these thoughts for the first time today.

My ohshit-meter is itching to climb and I'm starting to think through plans on what we should do if it's not be contained. I've never been a bugout type of thinker but for the first time I find myself thinking through scenarios. I suspect I'm not the only one who is thinking these thoughts for the first time today.

Well, that's understandable, Andy, given the types of stories that have been spreading like wildfire in the media lately.

Compounding the complexity of this situation is the possibility that some of the socalled journalists reporting about this case possibly could be more interested in inspiring terror among their readers (thus upping their readership and ratings) than simply reporting the news. Consequently I suspect the danger is not so much in contracting ebola, as in possibly neglecting other important news stories that might be under-reported while this ebola fear is rampant.

Washing one's hands frequently as an early response to ebola-terror inspiring stories is always a good and harmless thing to begin doing while assessing the situation. I can't see that hand washing could do any harm, and even if ebola turns out to be a non-issue washing one's hands might help lower the frequency of colds as well as one's overall stress level.

During the anthrax scare some years ago, many at my (federal) workplace washed their hands a lot as well as trying to minimize the possibility for exposure. For example, not opening suspicious mail was appropriate for the anthrax scare, just as avoiding contact with bodily fluids from strangers might be appropriate for the ebola scare.

Last edited:
I wonder what the best hand wipes are? Anyone know? I might carry some like Monk.

I wonder what the best hand wipes are? Anyone know? I might carry some like Monk.

I don't have any idea. I prefer scrubbing my hands thoroughly with plenty of soap and water because I wonder about the chemicals in hand wipes. Also, during the anthrax scare years ago, my agency recommended soap and water instead of hand wipes and gave reasons which I have since forgotten, but which made sense to me at the time. I figured they knew more than I did.

I can wash with soap and water easily, being retired and pretty much a homebody. Also at restaurants or at my gym (the places where I can most often be found when not home) it is very easy to access soap and water.

Last edited:

If this thing gets loose the solution will be a quarantine. So be prepared to hunker down wherever you live for a week or two. That is far short of requiring a bunker.

From Kimberly-Clark

http://www.kchealthcare.com/media/133353/k-c-ebola-precautions-brief-truscott-final.pdf

Hand hygiene. Wash hands with soap and water immediately ... Soap and water are recommended due to the amount of organic contamination (blood, vomit, etc.) present that can interfere with the efficacy of alcohol hand sanitizers. Soap helps organics and the virus slip off,and water rinses them into the sewage system where they are effectively destroyed by standard sewage treatment procedures. ...

•70-90% ethyl alcohol (ethanol) based hand sanitizers will destroy lipid enveloped viruses like Ebola very effectively if the organic soiling is not present. This higher concentration than normally recommended is appropriate for disinfecting non-enveloped viruses including Norovirus, thus providing an added safety factor for the more easily disinfected enveloped Ebola virus.(See further rationale for this non-enveloped virus safety factor in the Surface Disinfection section.) The alcohol based hand sanitizer can also be used after a soap and water wash first to remove organic matter (soiling), if present

-ERD50

Thanks W2R. I'm traveling Sunday (NOLA) and next month (Las Vegas) and I always carry liquid sanitizer in my purse in case I can't readily get to soap/water. When I come home after running errands (homebody too, with exception of trips) the first thing I do is was my hands. I like wipes for wiping down when staying in hotels.....guess I'll continue using the Clorox wipes.

Thanks ERD50

Last edited:
Compounding the complexity of this situation is the possibility that some of the so called journalists reporting about this case possibly could be more interested in inspiring terror among their readers (thus upping their readership and ratings) than simply reporting the news.
I agree completely about the media. I rarely watch TV and only read the news online once per day. If it's important someone around me will tell me about it and then I can read more if desired. That's my way of not letting the media negatively influence my life.

At this moment, I'm not so concerned about actually contracting Ebola. Although our home is in the Dallas/Ft Worth area we are currently abroad on an island in Brazil. As long as it does not show up here, I feel nice and safe.

As I mentioned, I've never been a bugout/prepper kind of person. I know lots of people who did give it plenty of thought. My thoughts today circled around the fact that I am naive on the topic and if I should at least think through and develop a plan. Kind of like folks in Florida might have a plan for a hurricane, maybe I need to have something similar for unforeseen events.

... Two potentates there, the head of infectious diseases, and the executive VP went on and on about how they were all ready for ebola, spread by bodily fluids only, on and on how there were no worries.

Today we hear that when the guy went into THPD's ER days previous, he said he had just been in LIBERIA! And they checked off that they asked him about travel. And they sent him home!
Oh yes, they have it ALL under control. We don't need to worry. ...

I would rather that someone say they don't know, then spew out platitudes.

Yes, this is my biggest issue. 'We have it under control', but they let this guy go back home after he said he had just been in Liberia. And apparently, this information was not passed to the other health care workers he saw that day.

That is NOT having things under control! Don't pee on me and then tell me it's raining!

However, I do think this will stay under control. This slip will be a wake-up call. Hopefully, based on the descriptions of what it takes, it won't spread to any/many cases beyond this person. Clearly, better controls on people coming into the country are needed.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom