Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Wow! Glad I only traveled to Austin last weekend.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #362
Give me a forum ...

Eh, as long as you stay within Texas border, nobody will hassle you.

Sorry, bad joke!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #363
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
The problem with scooping stuff up is that left outside an animal over a few hours the virus dies. Its not like anthrax where the bacteria goes to a spore state and can live in the wild for 100 years. Now if you want to smuggle fruit bats ...
From CDC Web site:
Ebola dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature.
So, it does not stay viable as long as some other viruses, but still long enough for bad guys to make an attempt.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #364
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Eh, as long as you stay within Texas border, nobody will hassle you.

Sorry, bad joke!
OK, I promise not to leave the state for 21 days.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #365
Give me a forum ...

Hopefully Canada's public health system will be fit for purpose:

Canada’s public-health system braces for possibility of Ebola - The Globe and Mail
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #366
Give me a forum ...

Good news from Nigeria and Senegal:

Ebola: How to stop the disease ‘dead in its tracks’ - The Globe and Mail
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #367
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
This is good to read. They will probably be able to keep it under control now and hopefully some of the others will get control soon.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #368

We now have some good news. The "family" that was extensively exposed to the original Dallas ebola patient have all passed quarantine. No new infections.

This was a pretty close living arrangement and nobody caught ebola despite him being pretty sick. The only transmissions were to healthcare workers exposed to the worst ebola end of life symptoms. I've heard various unconfirmed stories about kidney dialysis being done which can be pretty messy.

This leads me to believe that with better quarantine/treatment protocols ebola presents a very limited threat outside the developing world. Of course all bets are off if Central America and/or Mexico develops a massive outbreak and the collective population decides to come here for treatment.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #369
Give me a forum ...

No exposed skin on healthcare workers. Buddy system to watch putting on and taking off off protective gear. And probably also spray down with bleach. Then the US will match the WHO protocols for treating Ebola patients.

The three days where healthcare workers weren't completely covered seems the most likely time they were exposed.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #370
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
We now have some good news. The "family" that was extensively exposed to the original Dallas ebola patient have all passed quarantine. No new infections.
Very good news indeed. However, as mentioned in an article in my earlier post, they still do not have a place to live because of the stigma.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Very good news indeed. However, as mentioned in an article in my earlier post, they still do not have a place to live because of the stigma.
Ingorance is a separate issue. They were living in the "West African Immigrant Community." Are they trying to move back there or is the problem finding a rental Dallas-wide? In Liberia, heathy orphans are left to starve due to fear and superstitiion.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #372
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Ingorance is a separate issue. They were living in the "West African Immigrant Community." Are they trying to move back there or is the problem finding a rental Dallas-wide? In Liberia, heathy orphans are left to starve due to fear and superstitiion.
Clay Jenkins will probably find them a new home in Highland Park
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #373
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Really good article. Thanks for sharing. It really outlines a "how to" in terms of how to combat the disease. Too bad the US didn't take it seriously enough.

Considerable relief that the relatives sharing a home were not infected. We're hoping that there are no new cases as a result of Duncan and this just ends up being a nightmarish lesson that means next time we have an imported case appear, the situation won't be treated nearly so cavalierly.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #374
Give me a forum ...

Dallas cancels Halloween!

Dallas Cancels Halloween Amid Ebola Concerns - National Report | National Report

I'm not picking up that news from any other source. You'd think if city officials canceled it there would be loads of reports, but only the one so I'm suspicious.

Based on some other headlines such as "White House To Be Painted Green For “Earth Month” In 2015" this appears to be a satire site.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #375
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Dallas Cancels Halloween Amid Ebola Concerns - National Report | National Report

I'm not picking up that news from any other source. You'd think if city officials canceled it there would be loads of reports, but only the one so I'm suspicious.

Based on some other headlines such as "White House To Be Painted Green For “Earth Month” In 2015" this appears to be a satire site.
OMG! Next thing you know, Dallas will cancel Cowboys football!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #376

Quote:
they still do not have a place to live because of the stigma.
Maybe. But it was also reported that their lease was up and they were planning to move before this all started. I've also seen reports that most of their belongings were destroyed as part of disinfecting, so they don't really have anywhere specific to return to. Certainly no where as nice as the conference center they are currently staying in.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

All the evidence suggests it is satire.

News On The Website nationalreport.net is Fake - On The Media

A Guide to Fake News Websites

Several sad things:
This website is absolutely tasteless and not funny.
It tries to make fun of right wing extremist views as well as some sad aspects of human life such as the spike in rapes in India, but it fails to be funny.
Unfortunately some of its stories have been picked up and reported as actual news.
Its disclaimer page is very hard to find (you have to google it) and the only disclaimer on the frontpage is that National Report is not for persons under 18 years of age.
If you go to the comments sections of their "articles" it is very clear that readers believe this stuff.
This scares me about our society more than Ebola virus, which can, with effort, be contained.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #378
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
All the evidence suggests it is satire.

News On The Website nationalreport.net is Fake - On The Media

A Guide to Fake News Websites

Several sad things:
This website is absolutely tasteless and not funny.
It tries to make fun of right wing extremist views as well as some sad aspects of human life such as the spike in rapes in India, but it fails to be funny.
Unfortunately some of its stories have been picked up and reported as actual news.
Its disclaimer page is very hard to find (you have to google it) and the only disclaimer on the frontpage is that National Report is not for persons under 18 years of age.
If you go to the comments sections of their "articles" it is very clear that readers believe this stuff.
This scares me about our society more than Ebola virus, which can, with effort, be contained.
Oh it was definitely satire. But reading the article itself, that wasn't clear. And the person that linked it somewhere else probably believed it.

It was only after noticing no other sources, and when I read the other headlines that the satire nature of the site was clear. But yes, I had to pay attention and dig a little bit. I notice many folks don't bother.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #379

Hoo boy. The closest a teacher got to an outbreak area was 3,000 miles but she's still going to wait the 21 days before going back to teach. She is concerned (probably justifiably) about mobs with torches and pitchforks.

Educator will be back from Kenya on Thursday - Journal News | News, sports, jobs, community information for Martinsburg - The Journal
Old 10-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #380
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Hoo boy. The closest a teacher got to an outbreak area was 3,000 miles but she's still going to wait the 21 days before going back to teach. She is concerned (probably justifiably) about mobs with torches and pitchforks.

Educator will be back from Kenya on Thursday - Journal News | News, sports, jobs, community information for Martinsburg - The Journal
Yeah, there is a lot of this kind of thing going on. I read someone couldn't go back to work for 21 days because they'd been on the cruise ship with the lab tech who had tested NEGATIVE for Ebola even before the ship docked in the US. Did they miss a crucial fact? Please!