Effects of Aging?

ProspectiveBum

Full time employment: Posting here.
I've been reading the 'biggest unanticipated downside of ER' thread, and some of the comments have given me pause:

Car-Guy said:
Biggest unexpected downside in retirement. That's easy.

Effects of aging after 60. Am surprised to see (or I should say, feel) the effects of the past five+ years.

Nemo2 said:
Comes on fast, dunnit?

aja8888 said:
Wait until you see what happens to you after age 70.

I didn't want to hijack that thread, but what sort of changes are we talking about? Loss of strength/endurance? General tiredness or lack of energy? Or...? I know the answers will be anecdotal, and everyone has a different biological age, but it'd be helpful to get a better idea of what to expect.

I'm 44, and aside from an occasionally balky knee, I generally don't feel much different than I did 10 years ago. I play tennis about once a week, but have never been a hard-core athlete, so maybe my overall endurance has slipped, and i just haven't noticed yet. I drive a desk the rest of the time, so am not 'active' by any stretch of the imagination.

Lately, I've been thinking of pushing my FIRE date out from age 56 to 58 or 59 to generate a bigger cash cushion. If the effects of aging are dramatic, maybe I'll stick with the earlier date, and enjoy the cash while my body is still willing to cooperate... :hide:

It's impossible to know how your health will be in 10 years. It was always the rumor at our company that the average manager would last about 5 years after retirement from my mega-corp with a full pension.

Not being eligible for said pension, I FIREd early in July 2014 at age 52 expecting a long and happy retirement. My weight was down to 195 at the time from a high of 210 and although I had been very healthy in my 30's running at least 5 miles a day for years, I really didn't exercise or take good care of myself since then. My health was an afterthought during my career. I was a smoker and a huge Coke drinker and that was a big part of my daily caloric intake.

Today I am 55 and during a 12-month period starting at Thanksgiving in 2015, I was in the hospital three times. First for a cat bite that became infected and required treatment. Next, in January I almost lost a finger because of a staph infection I got somehow where I had to wear an IV device for six weeks. And then in September I had a huge heart attack that I miraculously survived with four new stents.

None of this was anticipated and I am certain that had I been at work I would be dead now, taken out of the building in a stretcher. The thought of that is horrifying to me especially as just prior to my retirement, two of my employees suddenly passed away at very young ages - younger than me. It was a huge catalyst for me to get out.

You just never know when it's your time. I certainly never expected my first date with destiny would be at 55. As a result, I am down to 163 lbs. which is more my normal BMI weight and I'm regularly exercising and eating like a healthy human. My cardiologist tells me I should have a long and normal life with my new heart as long as I watch my exercise and diet. My previous lifestyle was a killer.

It's a potentially life-altering decision you take to defer your retirement and adding work years is a big deal. The body does start to wear down, to heal slower and require more rest, and your next 10 years will be enlightening. I always thought of my work as a means to an end; and once you start to get to your 50's, the number of good years left to enjoy starts to look very small. It always feels better to have more money as a cushion, but if you have reached your financial goal, why bother working for extra money that you will likely never spend?

I thank the universe every day for my freedom from the matrix, and for the extra-innings that I have been granted. Every day I don't have to fight traffic or listen to upper management act like mega-corp a-holes is bliss. There are a lot of things in life you can defer without consequence. In my opinion, retirement isn't one of them.

Last edited:
OP - Clever of you to have picked up on it.

The effects are huge, lack of energy, ability to take naps, weakness of muscles, surprising little health issues that crop up and take a long time to heal.

Here is an example I was thinking about earlier today before reading this thread. Back when I was 40, when I needed a large storage shed, I would figure it out, and build it myself, frame it, build the walls on the floor and raise them (needed help with that lifting part). Sheath the roof, put on the shingles, etc.
Basically build it myself in a week.

Now, just thinking of it makes my back hurt in anticipatory pain, and I mean that literally.

It's also a little depressing realizing you have 10 maybe 20 years left, and the last few are not going to be great healthwise.

I'm 59 and physically active. In my 50's both my swimming time and running time gradually increased. I have some back ache when I first get out of bed and when I bend over to pick up things. So far, that's it.

One of our main incentives to retiring early is that we know so many couples, including our parents, where one of them gets so ill shortly after retirement that their plans of a carefree retirement are badly affected.

To that end we really worked hard at keeping fit and at age 55 when we retired were both in great shape. At work I had a treadmill stress test the year before I retired (just something my company did every 5 years for its managers 40 and older) and the cardiologist said my results were "spectacular, and I mean spectacular, but this is just a test and doesn't mean you won't have heart problems next year, next month or even tomorrow". 6 years later I was in the ER with a heart problem. It turned out to be A-Fib, which is not a total disaster by any means but is an unexpected health problem. I expected to have debilitating joint problems as I aged (lots of family history there) and may still encounter this, but heart issues were not expected at age 60.

Looking at the possible causes of A-Fib the only one beyond my control is age.

Last edited:
I'm 62 now and when I bend over to tie my shoes, I look around for anything else that needs to be done while I'm down there.

"Sir Arthur" is my biggest problem, but one aspirin a day seems to keep it at bay...for now.

It's kinda like being a kid's party balloon when the helium starts leaking...one minute you're tight and banging up against the ceiling, the next you're saggy and floating near the floor..........and the fact that you have an upbeat slogan across your middle doesn't help one iota.

Some time back I identified this as my new theme song...still is:

It's also a little depressing realizing you have 10 maybe 20 years left, and the last few are not going to be great healthwise.

When I was 60 I met an older guy who told me "You need to realize that even if you live to be 90, you only have 15 or 18 good summers left".

THAT is why so many of us RE. The days are long but the years go fast.

Getting older is not necessarily such a downer. I'm heading towards 69 and, like others have reported, if I reflect fairly, my energy and capabilities have dropped off over the last decade. But not massively. I still ride my bike for 20-30 miles on most nice days but my definition of nice has become more restricted. Still, I can see what I am willing to tackle declining and when I look at my three siblings in their mid-80's I realize the next decade will take energy down a notch. Also having flown off my bike on two occasions and busted my shoulder and my hip I am vastly more aware of the need for caution as the clock winds down. A fair number of people keep snow skiing into their older decades - I have stopped, partly because I don't like cold but also because I generally crash a few times on any skiing outing and am leery of that these days. But, despite the inevitable physical decline, research shows that older folks are typically much happier than their younger counterparts. I have been retired for 12 years. I started out feeling good and have slowly moved up on that scale. I suspect I will plateau soon and may drop back down a bit as I become more restricted in my late 70's but, absent a very serious and chronic health setback, the future looks pretty rosy.

All's well that ends well.

I didn't want to hijack that thread, but what sort of changes are we talking about? Loss of strength/endurance? General tiredness or lack of energy? Or...?

Yep, that's it in general. That plus, minor injuries that would go away in a few days when I was younger now have a tendency to accumulate and/or don't go away (ever).

I'm one of those guys that always ran 100+mph. Now I'm down to ~70 and I see a school zone coming up ahead. That's okay, I'll slow down. I just don't want to see a stop sign! :)

Last edited:
66. Not too much impact yet. Still workout strenuously almost every day. Weight has crept up a bit but not much. Still bike and ski although it does seem a little more work. A few more aches and pains. My hips are a little sore in the mornings and when I sleep the wrong way. So far so good I guess.

Big concern is Diabetes which runs in my family. So far have kept it at bay by my fitness regime. Can't stress enough how important a good fitness level is in the aging process.

Last edited:
We have been avid RV'ers for the last 20+ years, and have watched many other Rv'ers work to full retirement age. You cannot believe how many of the husbands had serious health issues that resulted in their ability to just sit around--and do little else. I'm talking bad backs and hearts. It's really sad to see their wives having to setup their campers and doing all the 'grunt work' while the husband sits and watches.

We never know how many good years we've got left--and I chose to retire at 58 and grab all the Gusto the first time around.

I'm now 66, and doing well despite being a Type II diabetic. My wife has had spinal stenosis and arthritis and is under pain management. Within a 3 month period, mid foot arthritis raised its head and she can barely wear shoes or even sleep due to pain. We've gone from being perpetual European travelers to doing North American road trips by car. Those days of hiking all over big cities may be over for my wife.

My biggest concern right now is maintaining stable diabetes. Unfortunately 2/3 of diabetics will end up with open heart surgery, so the odds are against me. But the biggest fear is loss of kidney function--and dialysis. My father and uncle both lasted 4 years on hemodialysis, and I have a 60 year old cousin on dialysis that's on her last leg. Diabetes is very hereditary, so my daughter needs to take care of herself.

But the good news is that my parents and grandparents had long lifespans due ot staying active.

I'm glad donheff posted something positive about life after 60. I'm almost 64 and last night I signed up for the first of 4 charity bike rides, each 35+ miles, that I'll be doing this summer, God willing. I get to the gym every day and weigh less than I did in HS. In April I leave for Central America and I've put down a deposit on a tour of India and Kathmandu in March, 2018 (with my Aunt, who will be 70).

It's partly good genes, partly clean living, partly the grace of God, and I'm also well aware that eventually I'll fall apart just like everyone else if I live long enough. My parents seemed to slide downhill when they hit 80.

I know it can change in the twinkling of an eye. DH was diagnosed with polycythemia (bone marrow making too many red blood cells) 11 years ago at age 65. He managed it with the help of doctors but the last 3 or 4 years I could really see the deterioration in his stamina. It morphed into acute myeloid leukemia (which is common), diagnosed last July, and he died last November. I hang out on a site for widows and widowers and there are way too many tales of sudden death.

Anyway, don't take deteriorating health after 60 as inevitable. Stuff happens that's out of your control, but plenty of it is. There are many people who have reported greatly improved health after ER because of decreased stress levels and more time to exercise and eat right. And do balance saving for tomorrow with living for today. I knew that if I retired at 65 (ended up retiring at 61), DH would be 80 and might not be up for travel. We made at least one major trip every year; our last one, to Iceland in 2015, was one of our best.

At 30 I was running 10 miles a day, every day. At 60 I was cycling 50 miles a day, every day. At 73 I could stair climb up to/around 5,000 steps in a session. At 74 1/3, trying to get back from sciatica, and fight off arthritis, I do 45 minutes on the elliptical most days.

Even if I can get to the point where my back/knees/hip will allow me to do what I feel I should do it'll be a far cry from being 60. 60 is almost teenaged. :D

65 and the only chronic issue I have just recently arrived: elevated blood pressure. Two different meds aren't really getting it so doc prescribed an alternate; went to pharmacy and it was $130 a month. Nope. Waiting on an alternate. Did say if I lost 10# it might do it so working on that, BMI is borderline overweight.

The blood pressure sorta pisses me off as I've been pretty rigorous about exercise over the decades. Not a big deal compared to other's issues but it's the first dose of health reality I've had. Other than that I notice a decline in energy and some occasional aches. Broke a collarbone three years ago and I believe the alignment has caused another shoulder issue that MRI detected, can't remember the three word description, not rotator cuff related. Anyway, because of it and the popping I can't do weight work at gym or use machines. Must admit, there are many projects I did in life like building a house and additions that I would never do today. Partly because of stamina but also fear of injury, especially where ladders are involved. Recently had my first contracted out wood repair; second story window.

My jump into retirement at 60 wasn't really well planned but I'm glad it happened when it did. Not as much because I'm so ecstatic about not working as because I was young enough to make the mental and physical adjustment. And now if you put a gun to my head and said I had to return to work I'd just say "pull the trigger."

Effects of Aging >>>> I just turned 60 and retired 58 that is why I wanted every year I could to do the things I do. My health has been very good through my life so far. An ache here and there no major issues so I have been blessed so much.
I do know the day is coming where I won't be able to walk into my cabin in the winter in deep snow or go ice fishing or hike in the mountains. These activities I live for but again it is mind over matter that may keep us from doing things as age creeps up.

All the money in the world can't give back our health and youth. Aging is scary but a reality.

At 30 I was running 10 miles a day, every day. At 60 I was cycling 50 miles a day, every day. At 73 I could stair climb up to/around 5,000 steps in a session. At 74 1/3, trying to get back from sciatica, and fight off arthritis, I do 45 minutes on the elliptical most days.

Even if I can get to the point where my back/knees/hip will allow me to do what I feel I should do it'll be a far cry from being 60. 60 is almost teenaged. :D

An impressive list of accomplishments! I hope to be as active as you are at 60, but even before hitting 60, I cannot do what you did at 60, so I don't know how that could happen....:LOL:

OP - Clever of you to have picked up on it.

I often wonder about this. My Dad is 92 and I often wonder what he's thinking. It seems death would be on your mind a lot. My Dad is active and seems happy but everytime a famous person dies who is 10 or more years younger than him I wonder how he feels. I don't bring it up cause I don't want to depress him.

Great thread. One thing I've noticed is that our older relatives seem to hit a "use it or lose it" stage sometime in their sixties. Meaning if they walk five miles a day and hike up hills, and they keep doing those things, they are able to keep on doing them indefinitely, albeit at a slightly slowing pace. But if they stop... they very quickly lose that physical capacity and have a hard time starting up again.

It's gotten me thinking (as I am near 40) that I need to start building some steady habits instead of assuming I can always quickly get back in shape when I'm ready to.

SIS

An impressive list of accomplishments! I hope to be as active as you are at 60, but even before hitting 60, I cannot do what you did at 60, so I don't know how that could happen....:LOL:

I'm not attempting to portray myself as some kind of 'super athlete', I was always a middle-of-the pack (or worse) plodding guy - generally I'd run alone, but in Saudi we had a running club, and if there were 80 entrants in a race I'd be (around) 40th; 40 and I'd be 20th, etc, and most of the others were just 'regular guys'. Tortoise & Hare stuff, except the Hares were on their second coffee by the time I finished.:LOL:

Last edited:
I retired at 59 and was pretty healthy except for asthma . Well a few years ago the asthma became COPD . I swim 55 laps several times a week and that really helps but I still have to plan my activities depending on how my COPD is that day .Thankfully we traveled a lot before this happened because now I have to plan my travel according to my disease .It is what it is .Almost everyone I know has developed something .I was at a party and we were all talking about our cardiologists,internists and orthopedic surgeons . What a difference ten years has made . I just turned 70.

I know and have known many people that live in to their 90's. I would say that 99% of them never had an exercise routine or ran, walked or worked out in any shape or form. They lived and did their daily routine but that was it. They did what they wanted but didn't do the extra to stay fit. As we age we all know there will be a time when we might not be able to do everything we did as a 30 year old. I also think that we can do what we did as a 30 year old but will be a lot slower and may need help doing some of the activities we love to do.
My dad told me many times that the Golden Years aren't golden. That is very very true statement!

I'm 62 now and when I bend over to tie my shoes, I look around for anything else that needs to be done while I'm down there.

"Sir Arthur" is my biggest problem, but one aspirin a day seems to keep it at bay...for now.

This made me burst out laughing - so it's not just me! I'm 61, recently started following your advice above, and I thought there was something wrong with me! I guess not. :LOL:

It's kinda like being a kid's party balloon when the helium starts leaking...one minute you're tight and banging up against the ceiling, the next you're saggy and floating near the floor..........and the fact that you have an upbeat slogan across your middle doesn't help one iota. <snip>

This is the funniest damn thing I have read in a long time - and the most descriptive! :D

Everyone is different, of course, so these anecdotes are just that.
In my 40s, I ran 10K (6 miles) nearly every day. In my 60s, that was down to 3 or 4 miles, just 3 or 4 times a week.

Now 70 and with an arthritic hip, I'm reduced to a brisk 5 mile walk 5 days a week.

It's a little bit difficult, but I'm happy to take pleasure in what I can do, rather than lament what I can no longer do.

My ideal role model was Larry Lewis. Here is his obituary from 1974:
https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=DS19740202.2.11

Runner Dies At 106
SAN FRANCISCO (UPI) Larry Lewis, a long-distance running centenarian who ran six miles through Golden Gate Park almost every day of his life, died Friday at the age of 106. Doctors at Hahnemann Hospital said Lewis died of cancer of the liver. “He never gave up,” said Robert Brown, a friend who was with Lewis when he died. Lewis became ill recently but until then he was a veritable dynamo who could outrun and outwalk men half his age. Lewis, a waiter at the St. Francis Hotel, celebrated his 102 nd birthday by running 100 yards in 17.3 seconds, half a second faster than on his 101 st birthday. The extra speed, Lewis explained, was due to his sneakers. He said he wore street shoes for the 101 st birthday dash. Lewis, a one-time assistant to the great Houdini, ran 6.7 miles through the park every day almost always in a time of 37 minutes. “I can’t sit still,” Lewis once told newsmen. Lewis was reared on a Navajo Indian reservation in Arizona and left at 15 to join the P.T. Barnum Circus as an acrobat and aerialist. For 33 years he was Houdini’s assistant.

In my case, I ER only has improved my ability to exercise regularly, cook healthier meals and be less stressed. However, I have kidney disease that is slowly getting worse and worries me. I also developed something called VMT last fall that makes my vision bad in one eye. They say it will slowly get better, but it's annoying and happened due to age.

My friends of the same age (65ish) have developed serious diseases like MS, Parkinson's and dementia and one has already spent time in a nursing home. I don't believe any of them were caused by retirement, but instead showed up with age.

Back
Top Bottom