Effects of aging Part 2

Aja8888 - I have my SVT ablation scheduled in two weeks. Hoping to have the same great results as you (minus the hip issues).

What is annoying are the pains that come without any known injury. A few weeks ago I walked 18 holes on a relatively flat golf course. A couple of days pass, I probably walked another 9 and then mowed my lawn. That night I could barely walk as my right ankle felt like I had sprained it. Included swelling. Probably tendonitis due to overuse. Still annoying as it took ten days to truly heal.

Aja8888 - I have my SVT ablation scheduled in two weeks. Hoping to have the same great results as you (minus the hip issues).

Yeah the hip thing came out of the blue, so to say. :(

Good luck with the ablation!

Mine ablation was quite painless and a fast process. I was just wheeled into the Cath lab where I was wired up to a fancy computer. The Doc had a visual on a large screen right next to me where he watched the electrical pulses and tried to determine which one was causing the SVT. They "shoot you up" with something to get the SVT started and when he sees the circuit, he zaps it with RF energy through a wire shoved up a vein in your groin area. Amazing!

You then have to lie motionless on your back in recovery for a few hours to make sure the veins heal shut in your legs where the Cath wires were inserted. That was a real PIA as I don't like laying on my back for long periods.

Then the next PIA was getting the bandages off your thighs over the next few days. The tape they use must be what NASA uses to hold the Space Shuttle tiles on with!:facepalm:

Please give us an update after your procedure is over.

Great news!

I had by an operation by an interventional radiologist - blocking individual veins to fibroids (non cancerous growths) in my uterus. They insert tiny beads held in place by blood flow/pressure. Kills the fibroid and makes it shrink. Pretty wild stuff.
DW had this procedure some 15 years ago for same issue. Everything fine - given the male perspective.

Ablation results

Well I had my ablation procedure on Monday unfortunately after a few hours, they couldn’t get more that a few beats in SVT. The doc said he suspects that the issue is on the left side of the heart vs the typical right side and I needed to be under general to poke a hole through to the left atria to fix the problem. Apparently this is very rare for SVT.

So, they gave me a new prescription and sent me home.

Recovery wasnt too bad though have major bruising and soreness on the left groin where they had to work the catheters into the heart.

This was out of pocket $6K so now that I have reached the out of pocket max, I’d really like to have the second procedure to fix the dang thing before the end of the year. Unfortunately we leave Vermont tomorrow for our winter location in Utah. So now I either need for find another doc out west who can do it, or fly back out to Vermont later this fall to get it done.

Sigh

Yeah the hip thing came out of the blue, so to say. :(

Good luck with the ablation!

Mine ablation was quite painless and a fast process. I was just wheeled into the Cath lab where I was wired up to a fancy computer. The Doc had a visual on a large screen right next to me where he watched the electrical pulses and tried to determine which one was causing the SVT. They "shoot you up" with something to get the SVT started and when he sees the circuit, he zaps it with RF energy through a wire shoved up a vein in your groin area. Amazing!

You then have to lie motionless on your back in recovery for a few hours to make sure the veins heal shut in your legs where the Cath wires were inserted. That was a real PIA as I don't like laying on my back for long periods.

Then the next PIA was getting the bandages off your thighs over the next few days. The tape they use must be what NASA uses to hold the Space Shuttle tiles on with!:facepalm:

Please give us an update after your procedure is over.

Well I had my ablation procedure on Monday unfortunately after a few hours, they couldn’t get more that a few beats in SVT. The doc said he suspects that the issue is on the left side of the heart vs the typical right side and I needed to be under general to poke a hole through to the left atria to fix the problem. Apparently this is very rare for SVT.

Recovery wasnt too bad though have major bruising and soreness on the left groin where they had to work the catheters into the heart.

This was out of pocket $6K so now that I have reached the out of pocket max, I’d really like to have the second procedure to fix the dang thing before the end of the year. Unfortunately we leave Vermont tomorrow for our winter location in Utah. So now I either need for find another doc out west who can do it, or fly back out to Vermont later this fall to get it done.

Sigh

Oh, darn, sorry to hear. :(

When I had mine done, the doc put a catheter in each groin so that if he couldn't find it on the most common side, here was set to look at the other. But he found it on the right side first shot. But I had two groins to heal out and those bandages from hell to get off.

Maybe you can find a doc out west instead of the trip back to VT.

Good luck! :)

Sorry to hear about the complications. I also had to have the procedure done twice because the EP couldn't get the SVT fully triggered the first time. Unfortunately, a year passed after the first procedure before I started having SVT episodes again. So I had to start over with the OOP max on my insurance. But I didn't need general anesthesia for the second one, they just had to try again.

Sigh
If you trust your doctor I'd go back home for the procedure. Probably better to have the one that is familiar with you and your condition since it's not garden variety. Beware that things get very busy towards the end of the calendar year for the same reason you have...and FWIW I'd never schedule anything important either Thanksgiving week or between Christmas and New Years.

Mind sharing where your general spot in Utah is?

Back
Top Bottom