Egg Talk

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This year, I've become a breakfast eater. Sometimes one just wants some scrambled eggs, bacon and toast.

But, what's the truth about the health benefits/hazards of eggs? One article may say there are many benefits. Another may say eggs are a bad as cigarettes.

Also, what about the pour from carton types (like Eggbeaters)? Are the pour type really any healthier than from the shell?

As an aside, I saw this very interesting gadget to separate the egg yolk and whites (of all places, featured on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno):

Pluck | Quirky Products

I've eaten 2-3 eggs every day for many years, so obviously I'm a big fan. Mainly for breakfast, but I also love a hard-boiled egg in a salad. The good stuff is mainly in the yolk, so why get rid of it?

Also, I've always found it easy to separate yolks by simply pouring it back and forth between the two halves of the eggshell, retaining the yolk in one half. Normally, one or two transitions are plenty for a clean separation.

You can live an ascetic monk like life, chewing bamboo shoots, until you are 95, or die earlier while enjoying your gluttony. Each of us can choose our own poison.

Last edited:
Like so many other issues in life, I think moderation is the key. I go through a carton of eggs every 2-3 weeks or so, and do not feel bad about doing so, at all.

Like so many other issues in life, I think moderation is the key. I go through a carton of eggs every 2-3 weeks or so, and do not feel bad about doing so, at all.

+1

We get through eggs at a similar rate, and we eat breakfast out after a bike ride or walk once or twice a week and I usually eat eggs then, in addition to the ones we get through at home.

It's funny.. I did a search and ended up in Livestrong where one article mentioned all the benefits and the misleading myths. Then another mentioned to bad.

I also read one about shelled eggs vs eggbeaters. Now I think the way to go for me is just eat regular shelled as with the eggbeaters (I love them), I usually pour more than one serving. Plus, cost-wise shelled eggs is a better way to go.

Theres a lot of articles online regarding the much maligned egg.

Eggs: Nutritionists Look at Eggs Health Benefits - Healthy Recipes, Nutrition and Cooking Tips to Improve Health or Lose Weight on MedicineNet.com

Ive raised chickens all my life and enjoy the benefits of their fresh free range eggs. I regard Eggbeaters much the same as margarine. Fake food. I feel the closer you can get to natural, the better off you are. Eggs and butter. Real food.

OK, I'm looking at my Real Eggs in a carton (from Costco). Anyhow, the packaging says "made with 99% pure egg whites". No fat, no trans fat, no cholesterol. So, how is this fake food (other than the little bit of color that is added)?

One scrambled egg (usually with cheese), one bacon, one toast (with real butter) six days a week. In addition one day a week I eat yellow hominy grits (with real butter).

I normally don't eat traditional breakfast in the morning. I will have some fruit and/or yogurt. Or an Ensure if I have put some weight on in the last day or so.

I love pickled eggs and hardboiled eggs as a snack.
If you own an egg slicer thingie, using thin slices on a cut up pieces of buttered toast or on a cracker makes 1 egg go a long way if cholesterol is an issue.

My all time favorite is egg salad. :D
I add chopped green onion and/or paprika and/or spicy mustard (a tiny bit) to the salad to perk it up.
I use red pimiento peppers (from a jar) and a slice of BACON over the egg salad in a warmed flour tortilla. I add chopped lettuce if I have it on hand.

Our 'go to' breakfasts are:
  • Steel cut oats with diced apples/pears & nuts
  • Frozen waffles with blueberries & nuts
  • Scramble w 2 eggs with cheese, tortilla chips & salsa (sometimes carmelized onions, peppers, etc. when on hand).
I'm not worried about eating real eggs 2-3 times/week. I'll probably live too long anyway.

For years we used to do EggBeaters exclusively, but they are SO EXPENSIVE we quit a long time ago. YMMV

Last edited:
The last couple of years, I have probably been averaging around 16-18 eggs per week. Seems you can find literature to support either pro or con view. I do know that my cholesterol has not increased at all since I have increased egg consumption - still under 160. If I was not going to eat the best part (yolk), I wouldn't bother with eggs at all.

I do know that my cholesterol has not increased at all since I have increased egg consumption - still under 160.

Dietary Cholesterol does not affect one's Serum Cholesterol no matter how much the USDA wishes it to be so. (Check the science behind their claims.)

If I was not going to eat the best part (yolk), I wouldn't bother with eggs at all.

I couldn't agree more. (and I have had five eggs today and, at least, two per day for many years -- and, BTW, my cholesterol numbers are consistent with the USDA "ideal" numbers. The extra three eggs today was because I was making Pickled Eggs and they did not survive the peeling process.)

My normal breakfast is

3 scrambled eggs
2 slices toast w/butter
hash browns

I'm constantly experimenting with salsas/additions to the eggs.

My normal breakfast is

3 scrambled eggs
2 slices toast w/butter
hash browns

I'm constantly experimenting with salsas/additions to the eggs.

You should reconsider the potatoes... bacon is a much better choice. And the bread should also be jettisoned. <not entirely tongue-in-cheek>

You should reconsider the potatoes... bacon is a much better choice. And the bread should also be jettisoned. <not entirely tongue-in-cheek>

Funny you should mention this. MIL has eaten 2 loaves of bread a week for years. Now 84, she researches health issues 24/7 and came to the conclusion last week that bread is not good. She quit cold turkey a few months ago and feels a lot better. Same thing on potatoes. We were just talking about this yesterday.

And I like bacon more than bread or potatoes anyway.....

FWIW, my normal breakfast (most days) includes three eggs, fried in a sizable lump of real butter, along with several slices of bacon or sausage, and heavy cream in my coffee. My blood lipids are also good enough to keep me happy (HDL in the 80s, Triglycerides in the 90s, etc.)

One of my favorite places for breakfast is The Cracker Barrel and just happened to visit one today. I am what is called a "meat and potatoes" guy but today I added a few other things as usual. Uncle Herchels(?) Favorite is my thing. Two eggs easy over, 8 oz hamburger steak, grits, hash browns, biscuits and gravy. Once in awhile I'll have catfish instead of the hamburger steak. Yum! Better double up on the Simvastatin tonight.

I'm remembering back in the good old days when Mom used to fry the eggs in bacon grease. Always kept a old coffee can on the stove to hold the left over grease ("drippings" we called it). In those days we also ate a meat dish we called "grits" but it was a pork base with pin oats, a German dish. Fried it in the bacon drippings. I've seen it in stores called "goetta" and it may have also been called "spec". That stuff was really good but I haven't had it in 60 years.

By todays standards and thinking, I can't believe I'm still alive.

Don't mean to start a bruhaha, but most early large studies of cholesterol & vascular health were flawed. Not designed to account for fact that blood effects of eating more cholesterol vary between individuals, and that there are good and bad forms. Besides dietary cholesterol, cholesterol is also produced by the body. Some folks cut out essentially all the bad stuff & their blood panels do not change... so drug treatment is considered. In others diet change (& proper exercise) improves things so drugs are not needed. In any case, never substitute anything you read on the 'net for sound medical advice ;)

FWIW- Over the years, & more blood tests than I care to count, I find eating 1-2 eggs once per week is OK but 3-4x/wk consistently and I see it in my next blood panel. And I know folks who tightly control their diet to no avail, while others seem to eat whatever they like with no bad effect on their blood panels. Sometimes cholesterol, like life, just ain't fair.

And I don't eat EggBeaters 'cause they taste funny :0

I watched a very interesting documentary about a year ago that provided what I thought to be extremely compelling evidence that the entire cholesterol theory was flawed from it's beginnings in the 1950's and that the overuse of statins was excessive. The real dangers from diet are in sugars, according to this particular documentary.

I know lots of doctors. Literally a couple thousand of them. I haven't talked to one yet that would tell me eggs are bad for me. In fact, many of them are convinced that eggs are an almost perfect food that got a bad rap for a couple of decades.

I'm going to try and find that name of that documentary......

In case you miss this section, here are some interesting points from the website:

• There’s never been a single study that proves saturated fat causes heart disease.
  • As heart-disease rates were skyrocketing in the mid-1900s, consumption of animal fat was going down, not up. Consumption of vegetable oils, however, was going up dramatically.
  • Half of all heart-attack victims have normal or low cholesterol. Autopsies performed on heart-attack victims routinely reveal plaque-filled arteries in people whose cholesterol was low (as low as 115 in one case).
  • Asian Indians – half of whom are vegetarians – have one of the highest rates of heart disease in the entire world. Yup, that fatty meat will kill you, all right.
  • When Morgan Spurlock tells you that a McDonald’s salad supplies almost a day’s allowance of fat, he’s basing that statement on the FDA’s low-fat/high-carbohydrate dietary guidelines, which in turn are based on … absolutely nothing. There’s no science behind those guidelines; they were simply made up by a congressional committee.
  • Kids who were diagnosed as suffering from ADD have been successfully treated by re-introducing natural saturated fats into their diets. Your brain is made largely of fat.
  • Many epileptics have reduced or eliminated seizures by adopting a diet low in sugar and starch and high in saturated animal fats.
  • Despite everything you’ve heard about saturated fat being linked to cancer, that link is statistically weak. However, there is a strong link between sugar and cancer. In Europe, doctors tell patients, “Sugar feeds cancer.”
  • Being fat is not, in and of itself, bad for your health. The behaviors that can make you fat – eating excess sugar and starch, not getting any exercise – can also ruin your health, and that’s why being fat is associated with bad health. But it’s entirely possible to be fat and healthy. It’s also possible to be thin while developing Type II diabetes and heart disease.
  • Saturated fat and cholesterol help produce testosterone. When men limit their saturated fat, their testosterone level drops. So, regardless of what a famous vegan chef believes, saturated fat does not impair sexual performance.

Back
Top Bottom