Join Early Retirement Today

Egg Talk
Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Egg Talk

This year, I've become a breakfast eater. Sometimes one just wants some scrambled eggs, bacon and toast.

But, what's the truth about the health benefits/hazards of eggs? One article may say there are many benefits. Another may say eggs are a bad as cigarettes.

Also, what about the pour from carton types (like Eggbeaters)? Are the pour type really any healthier than from the shell?

As an aside, I saw this very interesting gadget to separate the egg yolk and whites (of all places, featured on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno):

Pluck | Quirky Products

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I've eaten 2-3 eggs every day for many years, so obviously I'm a big fan. Mainly for breakfast, but I also love a hard-boiled egg in a salad. The good stuff is mainly in the yolk, so why get rid of it?

Also, I've always found it easy to separate yolks by simply pouring it back and forth between the two halves of the eggshell, retaining the yolk in one half. Normally, one or two transitions are plenty for a clean separation.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

You can live an ascetic monk like life, chewing bamboo shoots, until you are 95, or die earlier while enjoying your gluttony. Each of us can choose our own poison.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Theres a lot of articles online regarding the much maligned egg.

Eggs: Nutritionists Look at Eggs Health Benefits - Healthy Recipes, Nutrition and Cooking Tips to Improve Health or Lose Weight on MedicineNet.com

Ive raised chickens all my life and enjoy the benefits of their fresh free range eggs. I regard Eggbeaters much the same as margarine. Fake food. I feel the closer you can get to natural, the better off you are. Eggs and butter. Real food.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Administrator

Like so many other issues in life, I think moderation is the key. I go through a carton of eggs every 2-3 weeks or so, and do not feel bad about doing so, at all.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Like so many other issues in life, I think moderation is the key. I go through a carton of eggs every 2-3 weeks or so, and do not feel bad about doing so, at all.
+1

We get through eggs at a similar rate, and we eat breakfast out after a bike ride or walk once or twice a week and I usually eat eggs then, in addition to the ones we get through at home.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It's funny.. I did a search and ended up in Livestrong where one article mentioned all the benefits and the misleading myths. Then another mentioned to bad.

I also read one about shelled eggs vs eggbeaters. Now I think the way to go for me is just eat regular shelled as with the eggbeaters (I love them), I usually pour more than one serving. Plus, cost-wise shelled eggs is a better way to go.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Theres a lot of articles online regarding the much maligned egg.

Eggs: Nutritionists Look at Eggs Health Benefits - Healthy Recipes, Nutrition and Cooking Tips to Improve Health or Lose Weight on MedicineNet.com

Ive raised chickens all my life and enjoy the benefits of their fresh free range eggs. I regard Eggbeaters much the same as margarine. Fake food. I feel the closer you can get to natural, the better off you are. Eggs and butter. Real food.
OK, I'm looking at my Real Eggs in a carton (from Costco). Anyhow, the packaging says "made with 99% pure egg whites". No fat, no trans fat, no cholesterol. So, how is this fake food (other than the little bit of color that is added)?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #9

One scrambled egg (usually with cheese), one bacon, one toast (with real butter) six days a week. In addition one day a week I eat yellow hominy grits (with real butter).
Old 01-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I normally don't eat traditional breakfast in the morning. I will have some fruit and/or yogurt. Or an Ensure if I have put some weight on in the last day or so.

I love pickled eggs and hardboiled eggs as a snack.
If you own an egg slicer thingie, using thin slices on a cut up pieces of buttered toast or on a cracker makes 1 egg go a long way if cholesterol is an issue.

My all time favorite is egg salad.
I add chopped green onion and/or paprika and/or spicy mustard (a tiny bit) to the salad to perk it up.
I use red pimiento peppers (from a jar) and a slice of BACON over the egg salad in a warmed flour tortilla. I add chopped lettuce if I have it on hand.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Our 'go to' breakfasts are:
  • Steel cut oats with diced apples/pears & nuts
  • Frozen waffles with blueberries & nuts
  • Scramble w 2 eggs with cheese, tortilla chips & salsa (sometimes carmelized onions, peppers, etc. when on hand).
I'm not worried about eating real eggs 2-3 times/week. I'll probably live too long anyway.

For years we used to do EggBeaters exclusively, but they are SO EXPENSIVE we quit a long time ago. YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #12

The last couple of years, I have probably been averaging around 16-18 eggs per week. Seems you can find literature to support either pro or con view. I do know that my cholesterol has not increased at all since I have increased egg consumption - still under 160. If I was not going to eat the best part (yolk), I wouldn't bother with eggs at all.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
I do know that my cholesterol has not increased at all since I have increased egg consumption - still under 160.
Dietary Cholesterol does not affect one's Serum Cholesterol no matter how much the USDA wishes it to be so. (Check the science behind their claims.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
If I was not going to eat the best part (yolk), I wouldn't bother with eggs at all.
I couldn't agree more. (and I have had five eggs today and, at least, two per day for many years -- and, BTW, my cholesterol numbers are consistent with the USDA "ideal" numbers. The extra three eggs today was because I was making Pickled Eggs and they did not survive the peeling process.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #14

My normal breakfast is

3 scrambled eggs
2 slices toast w/butter
hash browns

I'm constantly experimenting with salsas/additions to the eggs.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My normal breakfast is

3 scrambled eggs
2 slices toast w/butter
hash browns

I'm constantly experimenting with salsas/additions to the eggs.
You should reconsider the potatoes... bacon is a much better choice. And the bread should also be jettisoned. <not entirely tongue-in-cheek>
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
You should reconsider the potatoes... bacon is a much better choice. And the bread should also be jettisoned. <not entirely tongue-in-cheek>
Funny you should mention this. MIL has eaten 2 loaves of bread a week for years. Now 84, she researches health issues 24/7 and came to the conclusion last week that bread is not good. She quit cold turkey a few months ago and feels a lot better. Same thing on potatoes. We were just talking about this yesterday.

And I like bacon more than bread or potatoes anyway.....
Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, my normal breakfast (most days) includes three eggs, fried in a sizable lump of real butter, along with several slices of bacon or sausage, and heavy cream in my coffee. My blood lipids are also good enough to keep me happy (HDL in the 80s, Triglycerides in the 90s, etc.)
Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

As an aside, I saw this very interesting gadget to separate the egg yolk and whites (of all places, featured on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno):

Pluck | Quirky Products
In case you want to try the frugal version first... check out this video.

Kindest regards.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post

Kindest regards.

Thanks. Seems simple enough.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post

Kindest regards.

Now I want to buy a carton of eggs and play with them.