Egg Yolks as risky to heart as cigarettes

How do the Japanese like their eggs? Overall, I love Japanese food, and even more, the beautiful way that is is served.

Most popluar in my opinion is rolled egg omelete (must-have in home made bento boxes), but they a little bit of soy sauce or fish broth, and sugar (similar to "tamago" you can get at Sushi Bars, although people usually do not make their omelette as sweet.)

I like eggs and I like egg yolks. I eat them in moderation, and count the calories.

I think this contraversy is a tempest in a teapot.

I remember ordering a hamburger in Yokosuka, Japan on my first visit there off a Navy ship in 1967. I was surprised when it was served with a fried egg on top.

When I first was in London and went to get pizza... egg was an option... I asked someone how they do it.... I was told they just crack an egg on top of the pizza and it cooks... I never did get one....

I saw this on NBC news and they said that the history of eggs have been 'it is good for you, it is bad for you, it is good for you.... and now it is bad for you'....

I do not know for sure, but I do know that people have been eating eggs for many years and not dropping dead... and I can not believe they are 'as bad as smoking'.... if so, there would have been more evidence over the years...

Scrambled Pizza Eggs...

have been a staple for years. Beat 3 eggs in a bowl, fold in some grated mozzarella, quartered pepperoni slices, sliced black olives, sliced mushrooms, oregano & basil to taste. (Do NOT try to work in tomato or tomato sauce -- BIG mistake!) Serves two. Mmmm.... :tongue:

Tyro

On one of the takes of this study I think they said that it was in excess of 4 eggs a day, which includes what you consume other than eggs that has egg in them...

Texas Proud said:
I do not know for sure, but I do know that people have been eating eggs for many years and not dropping dead... and I can not believe they are 'as bad as smoking'.... if so, there would have been more evidence over the years...

Wait until the reports on the hazards of second hand yolks comes out...

One of my favorite dishes (in Europe) is Steak Tartare.

Depending on the receipie used, most times it will have a raw egg on top (which you stir into the dish).

I know what you're thinking :angel: , but I enjoy it anyway...

On one of the takes of this study I think they said that it was in excess of 4 eggs a day, which includes what you consume other than eggs that has egg in them...

Oh, I thought eggs & cigarettes were being compared 1:1 :rolleyes:

That makes a huge difference. We usually have eggs once a week (Sunday mornings watching TCM or cartoons) -- maybe twice, so 5 eggs a week, all-inclusive, would be a lot for me.

Tyro

My mom used to eat eggs almost everyday. She's 94 now and doesn't get them that often anymore. Of course there are people her age who smoke everyday, so I guess that doesn't prove anything. I eat eggs maybe once a week. I try and stick to health foods like sausage and buttered biscuits for breakfast.:cool:

I've read through most of this thread and I tend to agree with folks who eat eggs (and anything else) in moderation. I've made it through 67 years so far, I'm fairly trim for my height, eat a lot of fruit and veggies and get regular exercise. We eat a lot of fish and probably have meat 2 - 3 times per week at the most. Eggs on Sunday morning are part of the routine; maybe one egg during the intervening week. I like beer and wine and, on occasion, am immoderate in my consumption although I often go for weeks without having either. I might drop dead tomorrow, but even if I had a chance to come back from the dead I'm not sure that there's a lot I would change about my consumption habits.

4 eggs per week but the study was very flawed so don't get alarmed.

Every time I read of a "this food is bad for you" I recall the article about a group of scientists studying the effect of steak. They concluded that steaks are bad for you. They were so concerned about their findings that they ate the leftover steaks.

Now I'm gonna go make an omelet.

I average 2 to 3 eggs a day, sometimes a lot more. Wouldn't even consider reducing my intake.

I get them from truly free-range chickens locally, and it's incredible how much difference that makes. The shells are much thicker and stronger, and the yolks are a deep, rich golden color, not the pale yellow of supermarket eggs.

I've been eating lots of eggs all my life.

We have an omelet now and then, but we get most of our eggs in baked goods. I do a lot of baking. One batch of cookies or muffins = 2 eggs; and the whole batch is gone in 2 days at most.

Amethyst

Thanks for the Marks Daily Apple link.
Those who ate the most eggs were the oldest – almost 70 years old on average, compared to the relatively sprightly 55 year-old egg avoiders. It’s pretty well accepted that with age comes the progression of atherosclerosis, a process that takes, well, time to occur. Plaque doesn’t just snap into existence; it develops. All else being equal, the older you get, the more plaque you’ll have.

Those who ate the most eggs also smoked the most and were the most diabetic.*To their credit, the authors tried to control for those factors, plus several others. Although they tried to control for sex, blood lipids, blood pressure, smoking, body weight index, and presence of diabetes, the study’s authors didn’t – couldn’t – account for all potentially confounding variables. In their own words, “more research should be done to take in possible confounders such as exercise and waist circumference.” Hmm. “Possible” confounders, eh?

Read more: Are Eggs Really As Bad For Your Arteries as Cigarettes? | Mark's Daily Apple

Sigh. Sometimes it seems like every study comes down to: If you eat X, and you're overweight, you smoke, and you're getting older, you're gonna die. I wonder if people keep doing these studies in the hope of finding some "X" (either eat this, or don't eat that) which will negate the effects of smoking, being overweight, and getting older!

Amethyst

"Those who ate the most eggs also smoked the most and were the most diabetic.*To their credit, the authors tried to control for those factors, plus several others. Although they tried to control for sex, blood lipids, blood pressure, smoking, body weight index, and presence of diabetes, the study’s authors didn’t – couldn’t – account for all potentially confounding variables. In their own words, “more research should be done to take in possible confounders such as exercise and waist circumference.” Hmm. “Possible” confounders, eh?"

Note - this is also a population of stroke victims/heart patients only, and they were asked to report what they ate from MEMORY! And for some reason the authors only asked about egg consumption in addition to smoking?

I think I read in another analysis that the older folks who ate more eggs also had a better cholesterol profile than the younger folks who ate fewer eggs. But the authors did not elaborate on that paradox in their study.

Last edited:
Although they tried to control for sex...

So which was better, more sex, or less? Please say more...

But the authors did not elaborate on that paradox in their study.

Can you say "China Study"?

It seems many of these studies start with the premise that eating meet is bad, whether for misguided "cholesterol" reasons, preconceived "environmental" reasons, or whatever, and then twist the results to suit that conclusion.

So, you have self-reporting, confounding factors, crappy "control" diets, and "researchers" who already have an outcome in mind...

Back
Top Bottom