Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Egg Yolks as risky to heart as cigarettes
Old 08-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Egg Yolks as risky to heart as cigarettes

I caught a tail end of this on TV this morning.
http://www.latimes.com/health/booste...,1391259.story

I will continue to eat whole eggs (pasture fed eggs which hopefully have more omega3 in comparison to omega6) at the same rate as before, but I wanted to get your take on it - especially from the low-carbers.

Just a trivia - Japan, as far as I know, has the highest egg comsumption rate in the world (and many still smoke!! - #12 in the world according to Wiki)
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And tomorrows study will tell us that whole eggs are the only thing saving us from instant death. Medical researchers = publish or perish.

We're low carb and will continue to eat whole eggs. If you believe the Paleo/Primal argument, we are meant to eat them. I personally believe that it is good enough for most of the omnivores in the animal kingdom, its probably good enough for this hairless ape.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Like so many things, who knows?

Moderation is my only guiding principle.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
gone traveling

Too old to worry about it and too tired to care...

There will always be a "study" to show why we should follow some form of diet/exercise.

My parents/grandparents never followed any "fad" (ate a lot of fat, smoked a lot, and performed no exercise) and all live till their late 80's, mid 90's.

Not that you can put a lot into your longivity based upon your immediate relatives (study's have shown ), but I'll just enjoy life rather than worrying about everything published.

Just my simple POV.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Just a trivia - Japan, as far as I know, has the highest egg comsumption rate in the world (and many still smoke!! - #12 in the world according to Wiki)
How do the Japanese like their eggs? Overall, I love Japanese food, and even more, the beautiful way that is is served.

If I could afford it, I could live well on seaweed and sashimi. I've been eating both of these for over 45 years. Especially love eel and sea urchin eggs and salmon eggs, all of which I pulled out of the ocean and prepared. Makes my mouth water right now.

I think all this stuff is off the charts on cholesterol, but the Japanese seem to be doing just fine on it.

Ha
Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Too old to worry about it and too tired to care...

There will always be a "study" to show why we should follow some form of diet/exercise.

My parents/grandparents never followed any "fad" (ate a lot of fat, smoked a lot, and performed no exercise) and all live till their late 80's, mid 90's.

Not that you can put a lot into your longivity based upon your immediate relatives (study's have shown ), but I'll just enjoy life rather than worrying about everything published.

Just my simple POV.

That's great about your parents. Were they living at home all the way to the end or did they have to move in to assisted living or needing some type of home health care in their 80s and 90s? I am always interested in reading stories about successful aging like that of your parents. Thank you for sharing.
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #7

Long as its not bacon
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have read a number of pieces arguing that the study is significantly flawed. I don't have the cites and am too lazy to go back and find them. My disclosure - I like eggs and will keep eating them regardless.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
That's great about your parents. Were they living at home all the way to the end or did they have to move in to assisted living or needing some type of home health care in their 80s and 90s? I am always interested in reading stories about successful aging like that of your parents. Thank you for sharing.
Out of the six (parents/grandparents), two went into assisted living for just a few months. One grandfather (late 80's) due to my grandmother not being able to lift him. She in turn was in assisted living (mid-90's) for a few months at the end due to not having anybody around for assistance.

All the rest died "in the saddle" (e.g. home).

As I said, I don't count on their longevity affecting my lifespan. That's just more of a bit of luck either attributed to health or avoidence of accidents.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

I just read a commentary about this study earlier today: Science-Based Medicine » Eggs and Atherosclerosis

"With respect to eggs specifically, it seems that moderate consumption of eggs are not a health risk and may even be beneficial. It is reasonable, based on the data, to avoid extreme high egg consumption – but you can probably say that about most things. When it comes to diet the rule of thumb, everything in moderation, seems to be a good first approximation of the scientific data."
FIRE2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #11

The study is seriously flawed, like a lot of these observational studies (most of which confuse correlation with causation). Mark Sisson posted about this study today:

Are Eggs Really As Bad For Your Arteries as Cigarettes? | Mark's Daily Apple

PS - I eat two farm fresh eggs every morning, and plan to continue to do so. My blood test numbers are all just fine
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

But I don't get sick from second-hand yolk when someone next to me is eating an omelet.

Seriously, though, I go back to my standby: (almost) all things in moderation, and I suspect that stressing over every last tiny morsel you put in your body will probably kill it faster than the food will.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
The study is seriously flawed, like a lot of these observational studies (most of which confuse correlation with causation). Mark Sisson posted about this study today:

Are Eggs Really As Bad For Your Arteries as Cigarettes? | Mark's Daily Apple

PS - I eat two farm fresh eggs every morning, and plan to continue to do so. My blood test numbers are all just fine
Thank you Thank you Thank you! This is exactly the kind of article/post I was looking for!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Good thread here...What the chickens eat is key. so hard to find them raised pastured and without soy in their feed.

Seems like there is a resurgence of people raising chickens at home in suburbia, most towns allow hens...i guess one has the ultimate control of what they eat that way.

I can't help but wonder if eggs are so bad for us, how it has been a traditional food for so many generations. It really seems like eggs are being picked on in recent years. The contradictions pointed out in the Daily Apple study sure were interesting...
web_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Here is another critique of this study, with some of the same points, and some new on
Old 08-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Here is another critique of this study, with some of the same points, and some new on

Eating Egg Yolks as Bad as Smoking? | Understand Nutrition

I generally do not like to poh-pooh studies, because it is complicated and I am no expert. But this seems like a good alternate look.

Ha
Old 08-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by web_diva View Post
Good thread here...What the chickens eat is key. so hard to find them raised pastured and without soy in their feed.

Seems like there is a resurgence of people raising chickens at home in suburbia, most towns allow hens...i guess one has the ultimate control of what they eat that way.

I can't help but wonder if eggs are so bad for us, how it has been a traditional food for so many generations. It really seems like eggs are being picked on in recent years. The contradictions pointed out in the Daily Apple study sure were interesting...
Yeah, I hear more and more people getting chickens for their eggs. (They put a small coop in their backyard, but I wonder how they rotate the grass). My cat would LOVE the idea! I looked it up online one time for regulations in my city; I cannot remember now, but you can have so many hens per yard of certain size, but no roosters permitted!) I can get eggs from a local farm and I love their beautiful orange colored creamy yolks!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Eating Egg Yolks as Bad as Smoking? | Understand Nutrition

I gnerally do not like to poh-pooh studies, because it is complicated and I am no expert. But this seems like a good alternate look.

Ha
Yeah, I guess one can skew the study to get the result one wants... Like I said, I never intended to quit eating eggs, but good to know that nobody here seems to think eggs are bad for you.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #18

I prefer the taste of whole eggs over eating cigarettes. They also go better with bacon, hash browns, and toast.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
How do the Japanese like their eggs? Overall, I love Japanese food, and even more, the beautiful way that is is served.

Ha
I remember ordering a hamburger in Yokosuka, Japan on my first visit there off a Navy ship in 1967. I was surprised when it was served with a fried egg on top.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I remember ordering a hamburger in Yokosuka, Japan on my first visit there off a Navy ship in 1967. I was surprised when it was served with a fried egg on top.
In Latin America a very popular dish is "bistec a caballo" or "steak on horseback" a grilled steak with a fried egg on top.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote