Egg Yolks as risky to heart as cigarettes

tmm99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I caught a tail end of this on TV this morning.
http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-egg-cholesterol-smoking-20120814,0,1391259.story

I will continue to eat whole eggs (pasture fed eggs which hopefully have more omega3 in comparison to omega6) at the same rate as before, but I wanted to get your take on it - especially from the low-carbers.

Just a trivia - Japan, as far as I know, has the highest egg comsumption rate in the world (and many still smoke!! - #12 in the world according to Wiki)

And tomorrows study will tell us that whole eggs are the only thing saving us from instant death. Medical researchers = publish or perish.

We're low carb and will continue to eat whole eggs. If you believe the Paleo/Primal argument, we are meant to eat them. I personally believe that it is good enough for most of the omnivores in the animal kingdom, its probably good enough for this hairless ape.

Like so many things, who knows?

Moderation is my only guiding principle.

Too old to worry about it and too tired to care...

There will always be a "study" to show why we should follow some form of diet/exercise.

My parents/grandparents never followed any "fad" (ate a lot of fat, smoked a lot, and performed no exercise) and all live till their late 80's, mid 90's.

Not that you can put a lot into your longivity based upon your immediate relatives (study's have shown :cool: ), but I'll just enjoy life rather than worrying about everything published.

Just my simple POV.

Just a trivia - Japan, as far as I know, has the highest egg comsumption rate in the world (and many still smoke!! - #12 in the world according to Wiki)
How do the Japanese like their eggs? Overall, I love Japanese food, and even more, the beautiful way that is is served.

If I could afford it, I could live well on seaweed and sashimi. I've been eating both of these for over 45 years. Especially love eel and sea urchin eggs and salmon eggs, all of which I pulled out of the ocean and prepared. Makes my mouth water right now.

I think all this stuff is off the charts on cholesterol, but the Japanese seem to be doing just fine on it.

Ha

Too old to worry about it and too tired to care...

There will always be a "study" to show why we should follow some form of diet/exercise.

My parents/grandparents never followed any "fad" (ate a lot of fat, smoked a lot, and performed no exercise) and all live till their late 80's, mid 90's.

Not that you can put a lot into your longivity based upon your immediate relatives (study's have shown :cool: ), but I'll just enjoy life rather than worrying about everything published.

Just my simple POV.

That's great about your parents. Were they living at home all the way to the end or did they have to move in to assisted living or needing some type of home health care in their 80s and 90s? I am always interested in reading stories about successful aging like that of your parents. Thank you for sharing.

I have read a number of pieces arguing that the study is significantly flawed. I don't have the cites and am too lazy to go back and find them. My disclosure - I like eggs and will keep eating them regardless.

That's great about your parents. Were they living at home all the way to the end or did they have to move in to assisted living or needing some type of home health care in their 80s and 90s? I am always interested in reading stories about successful aging like that of your parents. Thank you for sharing.
Out of the six (parents/grandparents), two went into assisted living for just a few months. One grandfather (late 80's) due to my grandmother not being able to lift him. She in turn was in assisted living (mid-90's) for a few months at the end due to not having anybody around for assistance.

All the rest died "in the saddle" (e.g. home).

As I said, I don't count on their longevity affecting my lifespan. That's just more of a bit of luck either attributed to health or avoidence of accidents.

Last edited:
I just read a commentary about this study earlier today: Science-Based Medicine » Eggs and Atherosclerosis

"With respect to eggs specifically, it seems that moderate consumption of eggs are not a health risk and may even be beneficial. It is reasonable, based on the data, to avoid extreme high egg consumption – but you can probably say that about most things. When it comes to diet the rule of thumb, everything in moderation, seems to be a good first approximation of the scientific data."

But I don't get sick from second-hand yolk when someone next to me is eating an omelet.

Seriously, though, I go back to my standby: (almost) all things in moderation, and I suspect that stressing over every last tiny morsel you put in your body will probably kill it faster than the food will.

Last edited:
Good thread here...What the chickens eat is key. so hard to find them raised pastured and without soy in their feed.

Seems like there is a resurgence of people raising chickens at home in suburbia, most towns allow hens...i guess one has the ultimate control of what they eat that way.

I can't help but wonder if eggs are so bad for us, how it has been a traditional food for so many generations. It really seems like eggs are being picked on in recent years. The contradictions pointed out in the Daily Apple study sure were interesting...

Good thread here...What the chickens eat is key. so hard to find them raised pastured and without soy in their feed.

Seems like there is a resurgence of people raising chickens at home in suburbia, most towns allow hens...i guess one has the ultimate control of what they eat that way.

I can't help but wonder if eggs are so bad for us, how it has been a traditional food for so many generations. It really seems like eggs are being picked on in recent years. The contradictions pointed out in the Daily Apple study sure were interesting...

Yeah, I hear more and more people getting chickens for their eggs. (They put a small coop in their backyard, but I wonder how they rotate the grass). My cat would LOVE the idea! I looked it up online one time for regulations in my city; I cannot remember now, but you can have so many hens per yard of certain size, but no roosters permitted!) I can get eggs from a local farm and I love their beautiful orange colored creamy yolks!

Last edited:
How do the Japanese like their eggs? Overall, I love Japanese food, and even more, the beautiful way that is is served.

Ha

I remember ordering a hamburger in Yokosuka, Japan on my first visit there off a Navy ship in 1967. I was surprised when it was served with a fried egg on top.

I remember ordering a hamburger in Yokosuka, Japan on my first visit there off a Navy ship in 1967. I was surprised when it was served with a fried egg on top.

In Latin America a very popular dish is "bistec a caballo" or "steak on horseback" a grilled steak with a fried egg on top.

Last edited:
There is a Tex-Mex place near here that serves a fried egg on each enchilada.

In Latin America a very popular dish is "bistec a caballo" or "steak on horseback" a grilled stake with a fried egg on top.

Grilled Stake with an egg on top??
I assume you only eat the egg unless these Latin's are really tough hombres;);)

In Latin America a very popular dish is "bistec a caballo" or "steak on horseback" a grilled stake with a fried egg on top.

In Germany it would be a pork cutlet, but the same idea.

Schnitzel al Holstein

Raw egg is popular as a dip for Japanese hot pots.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom