Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.
My Dr and my wife discussed whether I was going to blow my brains out. He thought I might and that she should be ready. She didn't know what to think. I would never do that.

I told every one I dealt with medically that I wanted to get better. They could tell by my attitude, too.

Mike D.

I just want to celebrate another day of livin'
I just want to celebrate another day of life

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #82
Mike's point is valid. If the person wants all medical steps taken - then all medical steps should be taken.
My brother had a terminal, inoperable cancer. He wanted all steps taken, even though the steps were extreme with no hope of a "cure"... He had 5 major surgeries in his last 2 weeks of life... all in attempts to slow the progression, reduce the symptoms. It was his choice... so they did it. (Even the doctors thought it was crazy but his tumor was unusual, it was a teaching hospital, so he was used to teach the residency candidates.)

On the other hand - my mother had a DNR, that needed to be honored... she chose to ex-tubate an inflated vent to make sure her wishes were followed.

Both were valid choices.

I still wonder who brought this to the media attention. It has to violate some privacy rules.

rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Throughout this thread I have been thinking....what if everyone was clear on what this lady wanted and just let her pass away with dignity? What would the headline have been?

Not so newsworthy, is it?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
But were you 87 when you came back from the dead? I didn't see anyone suggesting that the average Joe should be treated as a DNR if he or she collapses on the street. But once people get into their mid to late 80s it is questionable that the default should be to take every possible action to prolong life.
Giving someone CPR who collapses is not the same thing as taking every possible action to prolong life. It is taking immediate action when you don't know what that persons wishes would be and if that person survives the CPR then a decision can be made on further actions depending on the situation.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #85
My grandmother lived her last decades of life in a wonderful, very well respected and very well run progressive nursing care home that allowed residents to move from independent to assisted to medically assisted care. Suffering from two cancers, she had some small strokes and was moved to more intensive levels where they discussed her DNR options and started talking to the family about preparing for the inevitable. She started losing her memory and had trouble recognizing visitors. At 87, quality of life was not so good and prognosis looked grim. Doctors gave her 3 to 6 months to live. Her power of attorney kicked in as she was no longer capable to manage her own affairs.

At which point my Aunt, her child who lived nearest her, started calling in cousins to help better understand her medical options. Some very challenging doctor confrontations later, medications were changed, her cognition improved, she moved out of the intensive care and a few months later was back to independent living for another 10 years. She had a full decade of life before the cancer finally killed her, most of which she was the main party organizer in her community.

DNR is great for people who want that. But sometimes things are not what they seem, even if well respected doctors tell you so. Even the best doctors and institutions are not infallible or omniscient.
growing_older is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets
Good thread on an issue we all need to think about. The thing in this case I don't understand is why the 911 operator was even trying to get someone to do CPR. My understanding of the case was that the woman still had a faint heartbeat and shallow breathing. I could be wrong, but this is what I read in the original news reports. CPR was not even called for in this case.
Buck2520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #87
I have wondered about the same thing. We used to learn mouth-to-mouth and for insufficient breathing I wonder if that would have been helpful. Certainly the concerns about "violent" CPR and causing injury are issues that I would expect never to arise if a bystander attempted mouth-to-mouth.

growing_older is online now   Reply With Quote