Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

blood on a dinner plate used to gross me out as a child so i'd order everything well done. i'd tell the waiter to burn it. if it came to the table as recognizable corpse, i'd send it back to the kitchen for further desiccation.

later in life i learned to eat meat blood rare and my cholesterol went through the roof. by the time i was 35 i was a walking time bomb of bad eating habits. in considering my survival, i realized that if i would never kill a cow, butcher and eat it all on my own. still, it took me a while to change my habits.

i have not eaten meat in about 10 years or more and i much prefer this way of living. as odd as it was to get used to tofu and other meat-substitutes, i find that now it is meat which is odd to eat. i know this because i had some soup which i thought was vegetable-based but turned out to be chicken and in there was a piece of the bird. i could tell on my first chew that something was wrong. i tried to chew it but wound up spitting it out. so it seems my transformation is complete. i am now eating only the foods which did not gross me out as a child.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What, no lutefisk?
Once a year, whether we need it or not.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
blood on a dinner plate....

if it came to the table as recognizable corpse...

...kill a cow, butcher and eat it...

...a piece of the bird...
Are you trying to convert everyone to vegetarianism here?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What, no lutefisk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Once a year, whether we need it or not.
You've got to be kidding! Greg was going on about feeding GMO corn and supplementing the hormones for milk cows, and you guys eat poisoned fish!!?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

from my friends at wiki:
Quote:
The first treatment is to soak the stockfish in cold water for five to six days (with the water changed daily). The saturated stockfish is then soaked in an unchanged solution of cold water and lye for an additional two days. The fish will swell during this soaking, attaining an even larger size than in its original (undried) state, while its protein content decreases by more than 50 percent, producing its famous jelly-like consistency. When this treatment is finished, the fish (saturated with lye) has a pH value of 11–12, and is therefore caustic. To make the fish edible, a final treatment of yet another four to six days of soaking in cold water (also changed daily) is needed. Eventually, the lutefisk is ready to be cooked.

Sterling silver should never be used in the cooking, serving or eating of lutefisk, which will permanently ruin silver.

It is important not to incubate the fish too long in the lye, because saponification of the fish fats may occur, effectively rendering the fish fats into soap. The term for such spoiled fish in Finnish is saippuakala (soap fish).
Yep, ya' sure wouldn't want to do anything 'unnatural' to your food!!

Finally, some words of comfort:

Quote:
Today, akvavit and beer often accompany the meal....
Ahhh, beer - good. Akavit (the water of life - a spiced vodka) - good. Lukefisk, I'll pass, thank you.

I always heard about the silver turning black from my Swedish in-laws, thought they were joking. I guess not! And I didn't know it was permanent, figured it was just accelerated tarnish. Scary!

-ERD50
Old 10-28-2007, 10:06 PM   #25

After 40 years of being a consumate carnivore (lottsa beef, pork (especially bacon) and sausages), DW started moving us on to more fish and the occasional chicken. Along with that we were starting to eat more veggies and fruits too. Now we have fish at least 2 times a week. Steak is a once a month or so treat, sausage and mushroom pizza's are also.
We have done this as part of our 'health kick'. It has been a weaning process over the last 15+ years.
Balance and a 'non-deprivation' policy has allowed us to get much more healthy in our diet and more importantly stay on it.

I still eat chocolate and the occassional dessert. After all you have to have some 'treats' to reward yourself for easing off the artery clogging stuff.
... oh ... and red wine, beer and alcohol is STILL good for you ... RIGHT?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:18 PM   #26

I'm about to hit my 31st anniversary of not eating meat. The first 6 years of vegetarianism I didn't eat seafood. Then I moved to Boston from the Midwest and thought I'd give it a try as I was worried about my lack of protein.

So I eat a lot of veggies and fruit and seafood when I go out to eat (I don't like to see raw fish). For some reason my cholesterol is really high - total cholesterol = 297. Fortunately my HDL is 85.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:29 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

There are lots of reasons to avoid feed-lot beef (versus range fed or pastured) including ehtics and avoidance of hormones and antibiotics. But, by now, it should start filtering to the popular press that the primary culprit is not "eating cholesterol" and fat. It's the insulin response (and consequent laying on of fat on and within your body which results in a cascade of harmful metabolic effects) to refined carbs: corn syrup, high fructose additives, bread, pastry, sugary cereals, pasta.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:02 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post

I still eat chocolate and the occassional dessert. After all you have to have some 'treats' to reward yourself for easing off the artery clogging stuff.
... oh ... and red wine, beer and alcohol is STILL good for you ... RIGHT?
beer, red wine - good. And if I see a study that they are not, I assure I will find the bias in that study

So is chocolate if you get the good stuff - dark, not some sugared up flavored junk. Chocolate makes a great everyday 'treat' - it tastes wonderful and it is good for you (in moderation, like most other good thngs). Esp the stuff with the cocoa nibs or nuts in it - you get your fiber, too.

-ERD50
Old 10-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Eating fish does have its downside -
Crustations - high in cholorestoal
Some fish - high in mercury should not be eaten too often
Huge fishing fleets depleats fish populations
Huge drift nets that are discarded/lost by fishing boats ensnare and kill fish and other large marine animals.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We haven't eaten meat (of any kind including fish or poultry) or dairy or eggs for 12 years. Except I tried some eggs and chicken once about a year ago when I was invited to eat with our oldest son's in-laws. It made me feel very sick and I am not going to do that again.

We juice broccoli and carrots, and eat lots of brown rice and beans. When we go out, we eat Chinese vegetarian (DW is Chinese).

We started doing this because our youngest son had severe intestinal problems. Doctors at Texas Children's in Houston couldn't cure him but a radical change in diet did.

My blood pressure was about 145/90 before we changed (this high all the way back to age 19 when the Army wouldn't allow me to enlist due to high blood pressure). Now at age 57, BP is 110/60 and total cholesterol is 130 (triglicerides are well below 100 when they used to be about 400).
Old 10-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
We haven't eaten meat (of any kind including fish or poultry) or dairy or eggs for 12 years. Except I tried some eggs and chicken once about a year ago when I was invited to eat with our oldest son's in-laws. It made me feel very sick and I am not going to do that again.

We juice broccoli and carrots, and eat lots of brown rice and beans. When we go out, we eat Chinese vegetarian (DW is Chinese).
You sound like my daughter since she is a vegan. My daughter and I have been watching a program on BBC, You are What You Eat with Dr. Gillian McKeith. We have really been eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies. My daughter bought me a juicer for my birthday. Carrot juice is pretty good.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #32

great pocket guide, by region on which fish are safer/better to eat for a variety of reasons...Monterey Bay Aquarium: Download a Regional Seafood Watch Card
Old 10-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another great reference, very comprehensive - What to Eat, by Marion Nestle. She is a well-known nutritionist (doesn't advocate any particular diet) and this book is a wealth of information about all kinds of food issues - mercury in fish, benefits or not of organic, research on artificial sweeteners, you name it.

Being a nutritionist she of course leans away from artificial/highly processed food, but otherwise is of the "everything in moderation" camp. Not anti-vegetarian or anti-vegan, but not pro- either.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:06 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

My long term expereience with eating vegitarian nearly turned me into full blown type 2 diabetic: way too much reliance on pasta, pizza, flour tortillas, pancakes, bagels . . . you get the picture. Protein from soy is good protein but alas, soy has estrogen-like compounds . . . not good for hormonal issues; especially if you are a 50+ male trying to maintain muscle mass. I respect concern about animal cruelty and try to buy my meat products from ethical sources and eschew feed lot products for range fed (proper ratio of omega 3's to 6's; if you don't know what that means, you should learn b/c otherwise you are in the dark on fats-which are MANDATORY for good health). I estimate that the popular press is still a year or two away from reporting the research recogntion that the true issue re heart disease (for most people) is not "fat" (other than trans fats) but rather refined carbs.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:21 PM   #35

Quote:
We started doing this because our youngest son had severe intestinal problems. Doctors at Texas Children's in Houston couldn't cure him but a radical change in diet did.
Interesting. I used to work there years ago.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:47 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Are you trying to convert everyone to vegetarianism here?
me? trying to convert? you have no idea just how lazy i am, do you?

in fact, in today's world of overpopulation, limited resources and wildlife management, i suppose i should be glad that someone is culling the herds. i assume you are only eating the sick, weak and old.

meanwhile. the associate press reports that the "use of cholesterol and blood pressure medicines by young adults appears to be rising rapidly" More young adults on cholesterol drugs - Yahoo! News.

Quote:
Dr. Howard Weintraub, the heart disease prevention expert at the American College of Cardiology, said he's "thrilled" by the dramatic increase, which he says is tied to requests from patients with "a brand new sense of urgency" and referrals from other doctors to his private practice.
ya'all don't require conversion; you need an exorcism. but don't look towards me for that. sorry but i can't be bothered.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 11-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Carrot juice is pretty good.
try some parsley with that. (real men don't eat parsley. we juice it with carrots.)

another odd but tasty combo is apple & celery.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:06 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf View Post
My long term expereience with eating vegitarian nearly turned me into full blown type 2 diabetic: way too much reliance on pasta, pizza, flour tortillas, pancakes, bagels . . . you get the picture. Protein from soy is good protein but alas, soy has estrogen-like compounds . . . not good for hormonal issues;.
1. Refined carbs are not good for you, I agree. That is why we eat whole grains primarily brown rice.
2. There is much disagreement over soy - my wife eats soy and I don't but that is primarily because she is underweight and I am not.
3. My favorite doctor concerning health information is Dr. McDougall at drmcdougall.com. I have read or viewed most of his books and his dvd's. It is his view and mine that any meat or dairy in the diet is not good.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:26 AM   #39

I'm with Windsurf, the key is eating humanely and within reasonable limits for your health. We eat pastured pork or beef maybe once a week. The rest of the time it is chicken or beans for protein and lots of (mostly) locally grown vegetables and fruit. The Omnivore's Dilemma was a real eye opener for us and our diet now consists mostly of stuff that I can pronounce, like beer! But I couldn't be totally vegetarian, I like variety too much.
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:38 AM   #40

Quote:
2. There is much disagreement over soy.
i deal with this by eating tofu and edamame but my protein shakes are made with whey instead of soy.