Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Emphysema
Old 11-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Emphysema

Got clued in to some sad news the other day about someone that the old timers here will recognize. I am always sad to hear of the passing of one in our current circle of acquaintances, even if that knowing was only 'virtual' through the web.

Quote:
John Russell
October 27, 2009
CRESTVIEW, FL - John Walter Russell, 63, of Crestview, FL, died Tuesday, October 27, 2009. Arrangements by Bailey-Kirk Funeral Home in Princeton.
BAILEY-KIRK FUNERAL HOME

If you don't smoke; don't start.

If you do smoke; quit.

DRiP Guy

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

He was JWR1945 here. Hasn't posted in a few years. Too damn young. Thanks for letting us know.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 11-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am sorry to hear about his death. There are many very unpleasant ways to die, but emphysema has to be way up there.

He did the math on the "Retire on TIPS plan." He wrote like an engineer, but I read all his posts anyway.

RIP, JWR.

Ha
Old 11-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RIP.

I know more who are in their 80s and 90s smoking than those who died this young.

Stop smoking.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
(snip)

He did the math on the "Retire on TIPS plan." He wrote like an engineer, but I read all his posts anyway.(snip)

Ha
can you point me at a thread about the plan? I searched the forum for "retire on TIPs" (in quotes) but this thread was the only hit.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
can you point me at a thread about the plan? I searched the forum for "retire on TIPs" (in quotes) but this thread was the only hit.
Perhaps the best way to handle this is just to point out that John was a frequent contributor to the Income and Dividend investing portion of the Morningstar site, and that if you are interested in his views, that might be the best place to go.

A typical thread:
JWR....TIPs - Funds, Portfolio, recession, I-Bonds, market valuation - Morningstar
Old 11-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Sad news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
DRiP Guy is tactfully avoiding mention of the issues surrounding JWR's conceptual errors concerning investment math.

Groucho Marx remains the ultimate authority on the TIPS retirement plan: "You can if you have enough of them."

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Nords:
And you, sir, are no Groucho Marx.
Yours is the first derogatory post I've seen about JWR's untimely demise.
John was always a sincere gentleman who went to great lengths to explain his philosophy, and the math behind it, for his concept of a 'safe withdrawal rate' --it is tragically ironic that his efforts did not serve his interests well, but I am sure they gave many others food for thought.
Have fun,
George
Old 11-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post

I see nothing derogatory in anything posted on this thread regarding the sad passing of a fellow human being.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

This is sad news.

Looking over the old threads, I was reminded that JWR was religious. I'm hoping his faith was a source of comfort during his illness, it is for many people.

Wow. We write our electronic notes and to each other for a few years, share our philosophy, little bits of our lives. Then someone's biological systems break down and he just never logs on again. Another light blinks out . . .
Old 11-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
This is sad news.

Looking over the old threads, I was reminded that JWR was religious. I'm hoping his faith was a source of comfort during his illness, it is for many people.

Wow. We write our electronic notes and to each other for a few years, share our philosophy, little bits of our lives. Then someone's biological systems break down and he just never logs on again. Another light blinks out . . .
At least in this case we got a heads up.

RIP - JWR.

heh heh heh - .
Old 11-05-2009, 06:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
This is sad news.

Or he goes SK, and your QSL's go unanswered... John was a licensed ham radio operator as well, call sign W8JLK.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #13

Thanks for sharing the sad news DRIP. It is always sad to have anyone's life shortened by illness like this. I remember him well.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nords:
And you, sir, are no Groucho Marx.
John was always a sincere gentleman who went to great lengths to explain his philosophy, and the math behind it, for his concept of a 'safe withdrawal rate' --it is tragically ironic that his efforts did not serve his interests well, but I am sure they gave many others food for thought.
Have fun,
George
Wow, ONE post, and you're already dissin' folks...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Sorry
Old 11-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
Confused about dryer sheets

Sorry

If I misinterpreted "issues surrounding JWR's conceptual errors concerning investment math" as snide innuendo, then I certainly apologize, and I absolutely do not want to pursue that point further.
John's views occasionally invoked controversy, but, IMHO, were always presented with sincerity, to the benefit of those willing to give them some independent thought. May he rest in peace.

Cheers,
George
Old 11-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #16

Spoken like a true old timer, eh George?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I know more who are in their 80s and 90s smoking than those who died this young.

My first thought also. A great uncle complained of emphysema from a very young age but outlived his entire generation, and there were a lot of them. Makes me wonder if emphysema was the only COD. My cardiologist would ask if there was also some heart disease, perhaps unrelated to smoking.

May we pause in our, as Unclemick puts it in a very different context today, "snits people get into on forums."

As the Irish say, "Johnny, I hardly knew ya." Sad day.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #18

As much as anything, it reminds me that it's important to stop and sniff the flowers along the journey to your destination. We can talk about SWRs and retirement income strategies all we want, but Mr. Russell's passing at the all-too-young age of 63 should remind us that there's no guarantee we'll be around for the future we're saving for. So if we are depriving ourselves in the here and now in order to live it up decades from now, well... while it's important to still set aside for retirement, we may want to allow for having some good times today.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 11-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If I misinterpreted "issues surrounding JWR's conceptual errors concerning investment math" as snide innuendo, then I certainly apologize, and I absolutely do not want to pursue that point further.
John's views occasionally invoked controversy, but, IMHO, were always presented with sincerity, to the benefit of those willing to give them some independent thought. May he rest in peace.
Cheers,
George
Apology accepted.

Your response is perhaps typical of those who didn't have to read and analyze all the misconceptions and just plain mistakes in the discussions. How soon our collective memory forgets.

When Kyounge asked, I realized that it does no service to the board's newer members to leave them with any possible impression that his advice served as anything more than a warning to be responsible for your own ER planning... and for doing your own math. I've been around here for a while, so I felt it appropriate for me to speak up.

His TIPS idea may have worked with enough of them to handle an ER's actual inflation (not just the CPI), consumption of principal, and a definite expiration date. But it's not a 4% SWR solution. Joe Dominguez was a titan of ER yet he made more than his share of financial mistakes too.

Not even the most conservative Boglehead would advocate their approach.

BTW when my obituary is posted on this board, I hope it incites a heavily moderated fistfight argument about whether my estate will ever be able to pay off my mortgages...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #20

Nords, it would be an honor if I am still a mod to arbitrate said fistfight!

Closed Thread