Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
In one view, Obamacare really has only one feature
This conclusion is rabidly partisan. The core of ACA isn't just the subsidies. Rather, the core of ACA includes Guaranteed Issue and renewal (folks with preexisting conditions aren't kicked to the curb, nor are folks who exceed a lifetime cap); Community Rating (insurers cannot evade Guaranteed Issue by charging excessively unaffordable rates); Rate Review and Medical Loss Ratio (insurers cannot garner windfall profits, but rather have to return profits in excess of a community standard to subscribers); Essential Benefits and Exchanges (insurance products standardized so consumers can do price comparisons, and insurers offering insurance through a marketplace where consumer can pick and choose between available alternatives). The subsidy is just one portion of ACA.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In one view, Obamacare really has only one feature: putting as many people as possible onto the insurance rolls
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
This conclusion is rabidly partisan.
Well, maybe that's why the author specified that it was "one view." And, the law itself was "radically partisan"--that's not a political opinion on my part, it's a straight objective reporting of the vote count in Congress.

Portions of the law are being stripped away during implementation--maybe temporarily. Some of the changes (like elimination of the employer mandate) are expected to increase the number of people being added to the insurance exchanges/government insurance. None of the changes are expected to decrease the loading of people into the exchanges. I suppose people are drawing their conclusions based on what they are seeing.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ACA stopped being partisan the day it was passed, and that was affirmed the day that the SCOTUS ruled. As MichaelB has said in the past, it is now the law of the land and our focus is to be on what it is and how best to operate within it. Claiming that ACA has one feature is counter-productive to promulgating the message about all the features that it actually does provide.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
ACA stopped being partisan the day it was passed, and that was affirmed the day that the SCOTUS ruled. As MichaelB has said in the past, it is now the law of the land and our focus is to be on what it is and how best to operate within it. Claiming that ACA has one feature is counter-productive to promulgating the message about all the features that it actually does provide.

I am not trying to get a back and forth going that might bring on the pig... but just because a law is passed and is the law of the land does not change if it is partisan or not...

There are a lot of partisan laws on the books that have been upheld by SCOTUS...

Yes, it is the law of the land.... and it should be followed as written... I think the point that people are making is that it is not... and the people that are making those decisions were the people who pushed it through...
Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for yet another lively discussion, everyone!