Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Are making a breathing joke?

Yes, you are correct that the odds of her quitting on the first try are very slim. Her hospitalist nor any of the respiratory therapists think she will quit.

I have never asked her to quit smoking because I know how stubborn and independent she is and bugging her would probably have the opposite effect. I would just complain about how stinky the smoke was.

She has never said the words "quit smoking" as far as I know so I was floored when she brought it up after about 3 days in the hospital. Like I said, she is very stubborn and doesn't like to be told what to do. Her attitude now seems to be that the cigarettes are trying to control her so she is not going to allow them to do that. This subtle shift gives me hope that her natural stubbornness is now working in her favor instead of against with respect to quitting.

Well... it is what I usually say when making this kind of comment.... but I can see where it can be viewed as joke...

Way back when we were young... my dad made any of our friends who smoked sign an agreement they would never smoke inside the house... one of them married one of my sisters and never did smoke in the house... even after my dad died.... even when it was raining HARD outside...

He does not smoke inside his house or car and does not in any of ours either... sure, he does smell when he comes back in, but not as bad as the smoke.... and much less damage to the inside of the house...

I will never let anyone smoke inside anything I own...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I quit smoking 8 years ago, after three of four failed attempts over 25 years. Sadly, one of the recurrances was after 9 months of being smoke - free ! Its a horribly hard habit to break. I finally did it with assistance from Chantix. For me it was a miracle drug. At the time it did not have the suicidal thoughts warnings. It did carry the "unusual dreams" warning and WOW where those dreams GREAT. Incredibly vivid. But I digress ...

My sister uses a e-cig and hasn't touched a "real" cig in 3 years. I'd have to call that a success. If the e-cig works for your mom I'd say let her use it - seems like an awesome compromise.

Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I quit smoking 8 years ago, after three of four failed attempts over 25 years. Sadly, one of the recurrances was after 9 months of being smoke - free ! Its a horribly hard habit to break. I finally did it with assistance from Chantix. For me it was a miracle drug. At the time it did not have the suicidal thoughts warnings. It did carry the "unusual dreams" warning and WOW where those dreams GREAT. Incredibly vivid. But I digress ...

My sister uses a e-cig and hasn't touched a "real" cig in 3 years. I'd have to call that a success. If the e-cig works for your mom I'd say let her use it - seems like an awesome compromise.
I would be ecstatic if she at least quit "real" cigarettes and moved to an e-cig. It looks like that's where she is headed right now. I just had DH go to Costco and purchase a box of cartridges and another starter pack so she has two more battery tips, another charger and enough cartridges to last a long time. I think the longer she stays away from the stink (she has a very keen sense of smell even as a smoker) of real cigarettes, the less likely she is to go back to them.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I quit smoking on January 30th, 1974. As a teenager I smoked one pack per day for three years. My then GF and now-wife suggested that I quit. I wanted to please her so I did. Have not touched a cigarette since that day.

I am now the typical fierce ex-smoker who hates the smell of cigarettes and especially cigars which I even hated while a smoker.

Mike D. - smoke free for almost 40 years.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the medical error, Buckeye. They are all too common. I wish your mother well. Be aware that 60 years of addiction and tissue damage may be irreparable. Time for you to get some well earned rest now.
+1
Old 11-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #26

Mom is doing well. She has been home from the hospital for 10 days and has regained virtually all of her strength and weighs 2 pounds more than she did when she was admitted to the hospital.

I stayed with her 24 hrs a day for the first 7 days. For the first 4 days, I made all her meals and waited on her hand and foot. On day 5, she started doing some stuff for herself like making her own breakfast. Now she is making her own meals and today she did her ironing (I know, who still irons?). She seems to have her confidence back, too. She has started taking shorts walks with her new walker.

The best part is she has been able to stay away from real cigarettes. She is wearing a nicotine patch and puffs on her e-cigarette occasionally but she seems determined to stay away from burning tobacco. She is noticing that her taste buds are more sensitive and food tastes better. She has told the neighbors in her apartment building that she is trying to quit and said she would have to move if she started smoking again because she would be embarrassed.

The next thing will be wading through all the bills and seeing what is not covered by Medicare or her supplemental policy. IMO, she spent two additional days in the hospital due to their medication error. If she has to pay charges related to being in the hospital those days, I'm going to have to figure out the best way to approach the hospital and push back on the charges.