ER sloppiness could have killed my mother...or saved her.

Mom is doing well. She has been home from the hospital for 10 days and has regained virtually all of her strength and weighs 2 pounds more than she did when she was admitted to the hospital.

I stayed with her 24 hrs a day for the first 7 days. For the first 4 days, I made all her meals and waited on her hand and foot. On day 5, she started doing some stuff for herself like making her own breakfast. Now she is making her own meals and today she did her ironing (I know, who still irons?). She seems to have her confidence back, too. She has started taking shorts walks with her new walker.

The best part is she has been able to stay away from real cigarettes. She is wearing a nicotine patch and puffs on her e-cigarette occasionally but she seems determined to stay away from burning tobacco. She is noticing that her taste buds are more sensitive and food tastes better. She has told the neighbors in her apartment building that she is trying to quit and said she would have to move if she started smoking again because she would be embarrassed.

The next thing will be wading through all the bills and seeing what is not covered by Medicare or her supplemental policy. IMO, she spent two additional days in the hospital due to their medication error. If she has to pay charges related to being in the hospital those days, I'm going to have to figure out the best way to approach the hospital and push back on the charges.

Back
Top Bottom