Join Early Retirement Today

ER slows aging? We think so!
Old 10-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

ER slows aging? We think so!

DH and I both have been getting quite a few comments lately that we look very young for our ages. We both attribute it to retiring very early and being fully FI. We been retired for just over 20 years - two decades of much lower stress!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I don't have any science to back that up but I can tell you, that my health with more exercise less stress has made me feel better. My BP and blood tests show the results of not working. As far as getting better looking that may not happen. LOL

Congratulations on 20 years in FIRE.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:37 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went to eye exam recently, my doctor did a high resolution photo of the inside of my eyes.
He was showing me pictures and commented that the blood vessels were fairly straight. He said that denotes low stress. Apparently high stress cause those vessels to get all twisty.
ER'd for 11 years now.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Retiring early alone doesn’t extend your life, as the OP knows.

If in retirement you become more physically active, eat healthier, stay mentally engaged and stay socially connected, you’ll probably (substantially) extend your life. A desk worker who doesn’t have time to eat right who retires and exercises regularly will probably live longer. The OP is probably an example. And early retirement can extend your life even more than a later retirement if you’re on this path.

But if you become more sedentary, eat less healthy, become less engaged and isolated than during your work years, retiring could shorten your life. A construction worker who retires and sits and watches TV alone all day, becomes obese and isolated will probably shorten his/her life. Early retirement can shorten your life even more than a later retirement if you’re on that path.

There are always exceptions and special cases (e.g. people who are forced to retire, whether due to poor health or other reasons). But in general good health and social interaction can extend your life. Poor health and isolation can shorten your life.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:05 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Retiring early alone doesn’t extend your life, as the OP knows.

If in retirement you become more physically active, eat healthier, stay mentally engaged and stay socially connected, you’ll probably (substantially) extend your life. A desk worker who doesn’t have time to eat right who retires and exercises regularly will probably live longer. The OP is probably an example. And early retirement can extend your life even more than a later retirement if you’re on this path.

But if you become more sedentary, eat less healthy, become less engaged and isolated than during your work years, retiring could shorten your life. A construction worker who retires and sits and watches TV alone all day, becomes obese and isolated will probably shorten his/her life. Early retirement can shorten your life even more than a later retirement if you’re on that path.

There are always exceptions and special cases (e.g. people who are forced to retire, whether due to poor health or other reasons). But in general good health and social interaction can extend your life. Poor health and isolation can shorten your life.
+1
Timeisprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:34 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Our stress dropped so much due to not dealing with corporate type work and commuting, as well as feeling financially secure. I attribute most of our somewhat youthful appearance mostly to the lowered stress.

Of course once retired we also had lots of time - time to eat well and healthily, travel, exercise, rest as needed, enjoy many activities, etc. We have enjoyed a slower pace of life in retirement. I think that slower pace has been good for both of us.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The time to get some enjoyable exercise and cook my own meals should mean I am healthier than I otherwise would have been. If I get my
QPUT (Quantum Parallel Universe Transporter) working, I'll zip over to a parallel universe and see what happened to an overworked Chuckanut.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
DH and I both have been getting quite a few comments lately that we look very young for our ages.
You've chosen your friends well!
Old 10-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You've chosen your friends well!
Haha - the most recent ones were actually new acquaintances on a recent trip.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So I'm playing a couple weeks ago with the seniors at my golf course. A man I hadn't played golf with turned to me after a few holes and asked me "are you even old enough to golf with the seniors?" I replied I just turned 64. He says "holy cow you look good". I guess I should have hunched over a bit.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I'm 76 and constantly get carded. (LOL).

Actually, I frequently get told I don't look a day over 65...

So I usually show my ID card to prove the obvious:

AF ID card.jpg
Old 10-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

OK, let me do some quick math to see if I aged more during my prime 30 working years VS what I will age during my prime 30 retirement years.

During my prime 30 working years, (age 30 to 60), my age increased by 100% in those 30 years.

During my prime 30 retirement years, (age 60 to 90), my age will only increase by 50% in those 30 years.

So simple math would "seem" to indicate that I aged twice as fast in my prime working years than I will in my prime retirement years. I guess I should have retired much earlier to start slowing down the aging process sooner.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote