Ever had a doctor/dentist actually see you at appt time scheduled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are physicians that fall off schedule because their patients need more time, and there are practices that deliberately over-schedule in an attempt to maximize billing. As we all here know, one instance does not indicate a trend, when it happens most of this time, it is probably deliberate.

So Michael, would you be willing to pay a little more for docs that schedule fewer patients and are more likely to see you on time? Would it be worth, say, a 10% kicker?

Would you be in favor of a system where gov't insured patients (Medicare, Medicaid, Tri-care, etc.) either are seen within 30 mins (or whatever) of their scheduled appointment or the gov't doesn't pay, maybe even fines the doc?

If your doc could pretty much eliminate schedule slippage by seeing 10% fewer patients and allowing some "padding," would you be OK with your personal cost for the visit going up to compensate?
There are physicians that fall off schedule because their patients need more time, and there are practices that deliberately over-schedule in an attempt to maximize billing. As we all here know, one instance does not indicate a trend, when it happens most of this time, it is probably deliberate.
+1. From the outset the question was about doctors who almost always run late on appts, even the first one of the day :confused: I haven't seen a post where anyone here said they couldn't understand and accept some schedule slippage for any number of reasons.

And in your hypothetical, costs wouldn't necessarily increase. The patients who had to come back for follow up visits/tests would generate additional revenue with another appt, vs arguably getting extra attention at no cost with the status quo.

Are you suggesting there are no efficiencies left in health care, no ways to improve productivity? What profession hasn't been asked to more with less for decades?

Last edited:
So Michael, would you be willing to pay a little more for docs that schedule fewer patients and are more likely to see you on time? Would it be worth, say, a 10% kicker?

Would you be in favor of a system where gov't insured patients (Medicare, Medicaid, Tri-care, etc.) either are seen within 30 mins (or whatever) of their scheduled appointment or the gov't doesn't pay, maybe even fines the doc?
Not sure why you are asking me, lots of people participating in the discussion. Since you asked, I can't answer because I haven't yet found any physicians or practices that publish prices for reference or comparison.

+1. From the outset the question was about doctors who almost always run late on appts, even the first one of the day :confused: I haven't seen a post where anyone here said they couldn't understand and accept some schedule slippage for any number of reasons...
So, would you be willing to accept a token, say 10%, price increase so the doc could schedule fewer patients and increase the probability that you'd be seen on time?

So, would you be willing to accept a token, say 10%, price increase so the doc could schedule fewer patients and increase the probability that you'd be seen on time?
See above (in fairness I may have edited while you were replying).

Not sure why you are asking me, lots of people participating in the discussion. Since you asked, I can't answer because I haven't yet found any physicians or practices that publish prices for reference or comparison.

No need for an absolute number. Would you be willing to pay, say, 10% more for the doc visit to compensate the doc for seeing fewer patients per day and increasing the probability you'd be seen on time?

Everyone seems to agree that "overbooking" so that doc always has a patient in queue leads to schedule slippage. Why not increase fees a bit so that doc can slightly under book and likely not have schedule slippage due to whatever reasons he/she experiences delays?

Seems like a small price to pay to eliminate major stress on both sides of the equation.

edit: BTW, I totally agree that prices for doc services should be published and readily available. Full open kimono. I'd like to know what I'm going to pay, what the Medicaid folks will be paying for the guy sitting next to me, what doc gets from the insurance company, what doc gets from private pay patients, etc. Sadly, I think readily available full price disclosure is a ways off...........

Last edited:
See above (in fairness I may have edited while you were replying).

If you think your doc overbooks so that he/she always has a patient ready to be seen and the number of patients per day is maximized (likely causing a lot of schedule slippage), would you be willing to pay a bit more so that doc receives the same total daily revenue but sees fewer patients? Your probability of being seen on time would increase and doc would receive the same compensation (and have less stress). Sounds like a win - win.

Last edited:
If you think your doc overbooks so that he/she always has a patient ready to be seen and the number of patients per day is maximized (likely causing a lot of schedule slippage), would you be willing to pay a bit more so that doc receives the same total daily revenue but sees fewer patients? Your probability of being seen on time would increase and doc would receive the same compensation (and have less stress). Sounds like a win - win.

Are you suggesting there are no efficiencies left in health care, no ways to improve productivity? What profession hasn't been asked to more with less for decades?
Amazing what can be achieved with competition...just watched a report last night about New Balance who took the time to manufacture a shoe from 8 days to 2-1/2 hours. Is it apple to apples, no. Does it apply in principal, yes.

I've had way better luck with my docs than with plumbers, electricians, cable and internet providers, etc. Heck, many times they don't show up at all! I'd have to say that healthcare, in my experience, ranks very high with me in customer service. Airlines are probably at the bottom. Restaurants are hit or miss.

I've had way better luck with my docs than with plumbers, electricians, cable and internet providers, etc.

That's a good point. Now that you mention it, I just had an incident with a plumber we've used before with good results. I had an outdoor faucet that was dripping and wanted it repaired before winter so it wouldn't freeze up. I scheduled a morning appointment and after waiting for over an hour, called him on his cell to find out I was rescheduled for afternoon. Wasted my whole day on a simple repair.

At least I was at home and not sitting in a waiting room.......

When I started practice on August 4th, 1986, my fee for an extraction was 28 dollars. That included the exam and X-Ray. I made a good income, was able to save for home and put a little away for the future. I was happy as a lark. Retired patients and minimum wage workers could both afford my fees. Sometimes they had to borrow ten from their mother or pay me next week but it got done. I wish we would stop blaming providers for what politicians created. Inflation. Inflation created the working poor. Inflation created our healthcare crisis. Inflation is what makes docs over schedule, whether by greed or need.

When I started practice on August 4th, 1986, my fee for an extraction was 28 dollars. That included the exam and X-Ray. I made a good income, was able to save for home and put a little away for the future. I was happy as a lark. Retired patients and minimum wage workers could both afford my fees. Sometimes they had to borrow ten from their mother or pay me next week but it got done.

I wish we would stop blaming providers for what politicians created. Inflation. Inflation created the working poor. Inflation created our healthcare crisis. Inflation is what makes docs over schedule, whether by greed or need.
That doesn't jive with anything I've read in the last 10-30 years. Nor does it jive with how US health care costs have increased compared to all other developed countries to roughly double (with poorer outcomes), but we've had that debate (too) many times. Not trying to vilify any profession by any means (ie, blame providers) and politicians (more special interests) have definitely had a role, but it's not simply inflation. Again, lack of competition may have a lot more to do with it. And there's no easy fix...

A Depressing Look At Income Growth Compared To Health Care And College Cost - Business Insider

Attachments

• chart.gif
    chart.gif
    43.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Med_Infl.jpg
    Med_Infl.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
That doesn't jive with anything I've read in the last 10-15 years. Nor does it jive with how US health care costs have increased compared to all other developed countries to roughly double (with poorer outcomes), but we've had that debate many times. Not trying to vilify any profession by any means, and politicians (with special interests) have had a role, but it's not simply inflation. Again, lack of competition may have a lot more to do with it. http://www.businessinsider.com/college-and-health-cost-versus-income-2011-3
We have poured way more money into our system than other countries have into theirs. Defense, education, as well as healthcare have increased our inflation. A large percentage of us can't even feed ourselves without government assistance. The common thread to rising costs is inflation. The reason some industries inflate more than others is because of more government infusion of funds.

The, the that's all folks....

Attachments

• Santa Pig.jpg
    Santa Pig.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 30
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom