Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatordoc50 View Post
I've had way better luck with my docs than with plumbers, electricians, cable and internet providers, etc.
That's a good point. Now that you mention it, I just had an incident with a plumber we've used before with good results. I had an outdoor faucet that was dripping and wanted it repaired before winter so it wouldn't freeze up. I scheduled a morning appointment and after waiting for over an hour, called him on his cell to find out I was rescheduled for afternoon. Wasted my whole day on a simple repair.

At least I was at home and not sitting in a waiting room.......

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I started practice on August 4th, 1986, my fee for an extraction was 28 dollars. That included the exam and X-Ray. I made a good income, was able to save for home and put a little away for the future. I was happy as a lark. Retired patients and minimum wage workers could both afford my fees. Sometimes they had to borrow ten from their mother or pay me next week but it got done. I wish we would stop blaming providers for what politicians created. Inflation. Inflation created the working poor. Inflation created our healthcare crisis. Inflation is what makes docs over schedule, whether by greed or need.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatordoc50 View Post
When I started practice on August 4th, 1986, my fee for an extraction was 28 dollars. That included the exam and X-Ray. I made a good income, was able to save for home and put a little away for the future. I was happy as a lark. Retired patients and minimum wage workers could both afford my fees. Sometimes they had to borrow ten from their mother or pay me next week but it got done.

I wish we would stop blaming providers for what politicians created. Inflation. Inflation created the working poor. Inflation created our healthcare crisis. Inflation is what makes docs over schedule, whether by greed or need.
That doesn't jive with anything I've read in the last 10-30 years. Nor does it jive with how US health care costs have increased compared to all other developed countries to roughly double (with poorer outcomes), but we've had that debate (too) many times. Not trying to vilify any profession by any means (ie, blame providers) and politicians (more special interests) have definitely had a role, but it's not simply inflation. Again, lack of competition may have a lot more to do with it. And there's no easy fix...

A Depressing Look At Income Growth Compared To Health Care And College Cost - Business Insider
Attached Images
File Type: gif chart.gif (43.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Med_Infl.jpg (105.0 KB, 2 views)

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 12-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That doesn't jive with anything I've read in the last 10-15 years. Nor does it jive with how US health care costs have increased compared to all other developed countries to roughly double (with poorer outcomes), but we've had that debate many times. Not trying to vilify any profession by any means, and politicians (with special interests) have had a role, but it's not simply inflation. Again, lack of competition may have a lot more to do with it. http://www.businessinsider.com/colle...-income-2011-3
We have poured way more money into our system than other countries have into theirs. Defense, education, as well as healthcare have increased our inflation. A large percentage of us can't even feed ourselves without government assistance. The common thread to rising costs is inflation. The reason some industries inflate more than others is because of more government infusion of funds.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #65

The, the that's all folks....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Santa Pig.jpg (8.9 KB, 30 views)

Closed Thread