Join Early Retirement Today
Excellent Men's Health Article About Sub-Categories of LDL
Old 01-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Excellent Men's Health Article About Sub-Categories of LDL

Understanding Cholesterol And Heart Disease : Men's Health#

Very clear popular article about the discovery and elucidation of different lipoproteins that are all lumped together in the usual LDL clinical measurement. Also about the very different clinical consequences of these lipoproteins, and how LDL = "bad cholesterol" is way too oversimplified to be very useful.

It's also a story of two groundbreaking researchers, one now dead, and two amazing laboratory devices, one now superseded by the other.

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Good article Ha. A lot of the generic low fat recommendations are still floating around affecting how people eat. For years the advice made me uncomfortable with my propensity to eat eggs. this article recommends that I keep at it

Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe
Patients: I know my Cholesterol Number, is that enough?
bluescat is offline   Reply With Quote
Liporootein testing
Old 01-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
Liporootein testing

I follow Dr. Micheal Davis' blog, and he prefers the NMR version.
The Heart Scan Blog: Lipoprotein testing

I just found out that our local hospital now has a new 64 slice CT scanner and does calcium scoring for $50 cash. Woo -hoo. Now I can find out if I really have heart issues creeping up on me, or not, instead of all the supposed "risk factors" (just take some statins....etc.) There is no way they can be making a profit on this. I wonder what the motivation is for the investment. (I have my suspicions)

The Iranians are missing a plausable excuse. "The ultractrifuges are just for cholesterol testing to prevent heart disease!!"
waltwill8 is offline   Reply With Quote