Join Early Retirement Today

Exercise and back pain
Old 06-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Exercise and back pain

For those of you with lower back pain, do you find it helps or hurts to incorporate exercise? I have received conflicting opinions and am just curious of the opinions of those who actually live it.
miller514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Back strengthening exercises resolved back pain for me.
Slide show: Back exercises in 15 minutes a day - MayoClinic.com

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Back pain has multiple causes. The right treatment, if any, depends on the cause of the pain.

If you have a slipped disk pushing on a nerve root, exercise may be a bad idea. In other situations, it may be helpful.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't have a slipped disc. I do have degenerative disc disease and mild scoliosis.

Here is what I know:
* Failure to exercise leaves me with muscle pain in the lumbar area of my back
* Walking daily, swimming 3 times a week, and a good dose of stretching or yoga leaves me pain free (also improves range of motion, general muscle strength, and endurance)
Old 06-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had been a runner for the last 35-40 years and had to quit running last year because of back pain. I now do just biking, swimming and light weights and although my back pain isn't gone completely, it's alot better. Based on my experience, I'd say that depending on what kind of back pain you have, you can taylor your exercise.

I did yoga for a couple of years and it helped my back alot. Then about 1-2 years ago, the yoga instructor at my health club was changed and she was probably too advanced for me and that actually caused me more back problems. So if you take yoga, be careful who you choose for the instructor. Also, I believe that are different types of yoga to choose from. For me, the most basic yoga classes with more stretching worked the best. As far as swimming goes, I think it has helped to keep my back more flexible, plus it's great aerobic exercise.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #6

The right exercise helps me. I can have slight low back pain on occasion, usually aggravated by sleeping funny or walking a lot on concrete. I find stretching exercises, as in yoga or Pilates, help as does stretching on my stability ball. I just got over a bout of pain in my shoulder. My doctor felt it was due to an impingement condition of some sort or another(tendinitis or rotator cuff inflammation). I did 12 weeks of physical therapy twice a week and what a difference! Almost completely better. I continue to do the exercises they showed me almost every day.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
If you have a slipped disk pushing on a nerve root, exercise may be a bad idea. In other situations, it may be helpful.
Heh...this is my problem in my lower back....a rotten disk.

It took a long time to figure out what I should do in the exercise department. If I tried something and it hurt, I stopped....I can't bear that kind of pain.

I found working my upper body with resistance works well. I can work my thighs and calves too, but I have to use less weight and watch my repetition. Sit-ups, push-ups....out of the question.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

When I've had back pain, for me doing exercises that strengten the stomach helped.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate the advice. I have never been a swimmer or into yoga, but perhaps I should give both a try and see if they help.
miller514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #10

+1 on yoga & stretching.

I have occasional pain in my lower back and find the postures that twist your spine while you're lying on your back to be very helpful in alleviating the pain in a day or two.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

There was another thread previously about the benefits of using an inversion table to help relieve back pain:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ain-36662.html

I bought a cheap inversion table (about $120) from Walmart 4-5 months ago and use it occasionally. I figured I could quickly spend $120 going to a doctor so why not give the inversion table a try first. It seems to help but I have no proof that it's really working or I'm just getting a placebo effect. My only proof that it's working is that I sometimes feel better after using it. Before I bought mine I read lots of reviews on the internet about inversion tables and many people claimed to get some relief using one.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:57 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

It's been 10 years since the last post on this thread, but since we're kicking around the idea of purchasing an inversion table does anyone have any input?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've considered one many times. Mostly haven't pulled the trigger because of space issues. Sis-in-Law swears by hers, and it's felt great the times I've used it back when people used to visit each other.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #14

I recently listened to this podcast. Dr. David Hanscom, an orthopedic spine surgeon, talks about relieving back pain. It's a bit over the top, but a very interesting solution to pain. The interview is also in writing in case you prefer to read than listen. Here's part of one of his answers to his specialty and background.

"I trained in a place called Minneapolis, Minnesota, which is considered one of the top Spinal Deformity Fellowships in the world at the time. I came out of the fellowship on fire with the zeal to do surgery pretty much in everybody. I spent eight years being a very aggressive surgeon. I studied a lot of complex spine surgery, but I noticed that my back pain surgeries weren’t working very well."

He goes on about when he got chronic back pain and how he figured out the best way to resolve his pain. Then he started suggesting his new method to patients. Pretty interesting and it might help.

https://www.integrativepainsciencein...id-hanscom-md/

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:49 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

My own experience with an inversion table was not beneficial and in fact hurt myself. Purchased one due to back issues including sciatica. I was in my mid forties. Perhaps it was just me, but I think it strained already hurt tissues. My chiro felt it could help, but past a certain age he would be concerned.

So I drag it from home to home and let it gather dust in the garage.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
My own experience with an inversion table was not beneficial and in fact hurt myself. Purchased one due to back issues including sciatica. I was in my mid forties. Perhaps it was just me, but I think it strained already hurt tissues. My chiro felt it could help, but past a certain age he would be concerned.

I've had back pain for just over 10 years, I had a spasm and pain down my leg, doc diagnosed it as a herniated disk and gave me prenosone, muscle relaxants and pain pills. Two weeks later I returned and reported I'm just now not crawling from bed to couch. He was surprised and said he thought the prednosone would have my up in 3 or 4 days.
A year later, I got an MRI to find out what was wrong, I had a herniated disc, just as the doc said.
At the end of 2018 I decided I'd had enough and went to a surgeon, after tests he said, we see nothing to tell us where to operate to solve your pain.

I recently started incorporating squats into my daily 3 mile+ walk. I do as many as 5 sets of 20 on a good day. After a time of this, I had 10 weeks of absolutely no pain. Then I started physical therapy for my shoulder, one of the stretches caused me to arch my back and before I knew it I was having back pain daily. My shoulder is better after 6 weeks of PT.
I've stopped the stretch that caused the back arching and just hoping I can get back to no back pain, with excerices.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
I have a friend in Lenore, he'll come and get it.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Try Volteran Gel that just because across the counter. It and lidocaine lotion together works wonders for anything that hurts.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #19

Regarding squats and back pain, I think a full flat footed squat stretches your lower back more than a squat on your toes, maybe because your upper body has to lean forward more for balance when your feet are flat on the ground. I'd been warming up before squatting anyway, for my knees, and I became even more careful when I figured out that back issue. My deep knee bends consist of about 10 reps, each being lower than the last, and I like to warm up my legs a little even before that. When I do them after my recumbent exercise bike (yes, I still use it despite the problems, more carefully than ever) I'm even more careful. I didn't even do the final full squat once. Yesterday I think I did and I'm OK. I'm constantly experimenting.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
Regarding squats and back pain, I think a full flat footed squat stretches your lower back more than a squat on your toes, maybe because your upper body has to lean forward more for balance when your feet are flat on the ground. I'd been warming up before squatting anyway, for my knees, and I became even more careful when I figured out that back issue. My deep knee bends consist of about 10 reps, each being lower than the last, and I like to warm up my legs a little even before that. When I do them after my recumbent exercise bike (yes, I still use it despite the problems, more carefully than ever) I'm even more careful. I didn't even do the final full squat once. Yesterday I think I did and I'm OK. I'm constantly experimenting.
My squats are flat foot, I start each by sticking my butt back and my arms out front. I only go until my thighs are level with the ground.* I try to keep my knees in the same plane as my toes in reality just a little forward of my toes.

* could go deeper, but I've been told that is bad for your knees, However I wonder if that is more when you are using weights.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote