Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In the winter, we walk the mall 5 or 6 days a week... three times around = 1 mile. On the "good" days, 2 miles.

Twice a week, the local hospital sponsors a Tai Chi hour before the mall opens... usually 60 to 70 seniors. We do that too. Pretty easy, but keeps ya flexible.

They also sponsor free BP, Cholesterol, and Diabetes tests each month, and a large, 100 booth health fair twice a year.
Not aerobic, but at age 75+, most attendees, don't need aerobic.

imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Once cycling season is done (for me, any time the outside temperature drops into the 40's. I know, I've become a fair weather cycler!) I drag out my old Nordic Track (old school) ski machine. I bought this machine at a garage sale in 1992. It was used, but brand new. I think it was a used as a clothes rack in someone's bedroom. I paid $20 for a machine that originally sold for $550. I have used it ever since.

Don't sweat the small stuff! And realize, it is all small stuff!
Brdofpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado
While living in AK between 2007-2011 I added screws to my running shoes after I fell a couple of times. I used 1/4" pan head screws then switched them out for 1/4" hex head sheet metal screws for better grip. First time I fell was in Fairbanks, was crossing an entrance to the Safeway in front of about 6 cars waiting to leave the parking lot, felt and looked like an idiot. Decided then that traction was needed and tried the screws which worked well. I come from a cold area but AK opened my eyes about winter recreation, saw many people riding mountain bikes (with studded tires at -40F), preschoolers playing outside during recess down to -25F (temperature or windchill) and in the 4 years I worked in AK school was only cancelled twice due to ice storms (school was optional below -50F).
painterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Keen hiking boots, smart wool socks, lightweight long-underwear, Sporthill 2 pants, lightweight long-underwear shirt, mock turtleneck, neck gaiter, LL Bean endurance jacket, smart wool glove liners and nike walking gloves. And a smart wool headband. I love walking or snowshoeing in winter, as you can probably tell, so I got this clothing thing down pretty well. I walk up until -20 as long as it's not too windy.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
Ah, a subject near and dear to my heart. I'm an Illinois resident and I go for walks with a neighbor year round. We are out there walking for exercise, not taking a stroll, and I assume that is the case for you as well. Because we are never standing still in the cold I've found that a lightly insulated hiking style boot works the best. Something with 200g - 400g of insulation should do if you wear a good wool sock with it. I have a pair of Merrill's that don't look like winter boots, but they fit me really well so they are comfortable to walk in and they have just enough insulation to keep my toes warm as long as I keep moving. Tip - for my bell-ringing shifts, I use toe warmers which are like hand warmers, and they last 2 hours.

Moving up the body, I bought a pair of flannel lined jeans last year and they're pretty comfy. On really cold days, long johns are still the way to go. My main weapon against the cold is a down parka. I've tried the layer approach, but I am tall, and the shells for most layering systems are not long enough for me. I wanted something that covered my butt and I finally found what I was looking for in the Mountain Hardware Downtown Coat. I can still use layers to adjust for conditions; often I'll wear the parka with only a heavy synthetic long sleeved t-shirt. On a really cold January night I'll add an additional insulation layer.

As others have posted a scarf or neck gaiter is a necessity particularly when the wind is blowing. I have both, but I think a nice comfy scarf is a little more flexible for taking a walk. I like Patagonia's Micro-D (for Delux) scarf. Long, unbelievably soft, and machine washable. For head gear you should own at least one hat that is advertised as being wind proof. When it comes to keeping my fingers warm, I struggled until I bought the Downtown Coat. It has long sleeves with stretchy cuffs inside and once I finagle them over my gloves, they seal out the air pretty well and now my hands stay pretty warm. I am keeping my eyes open for a pair of really good mittens, but they don't seem to last long enough to make it through to the post-winter sales.

Unfortunately, none of this stuff is cheap to buy right now and you apparently only need it for one season. Can you "mall walk" on the really cold days to avoid investing in cold weather gear?
I might just join the mall walkers.
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #26
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I know the question was about gear, but I'm curious about the effect of walking on HR for non-runners. How high (BPM or Max HR%) are you able to get it, after how long, and at what speed/pace? R
I don't measure HR, but I know my HR has been higher during some of my hikes than during some of my sub 7 minute per mile runs. It all depends on the terrain of the walk/hike. I can match the HR of my runs in the first hour of my hikes - 3 miles averaging 20 minutes per mile, with an ascent of 1600'.
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I might just join the mall walkers.
I prefer to be outdoors, and have some el-cheapo insulated clothing for just that, but mall walking is a very good way to get a bit of exercise in inclement weather. Plus, for me at least, the people watching is interesting. Folks who frequent malls are in an entirely different lifestyle category from me...

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote