Join Early Retirement Today

Exercise Gear
Old 11-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Exercise Gear

It seems to stay healthy I must exercise. I have been walking around the neighborhood. This is Ohio and winter is about to arrive.

I need suggestions for what to wear while walking in cold weather and light snow.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Thought you were moving to Florida?
Old 11-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you are walking in icy conditions, I use a rubber strap on traction device over hiking boots. I started out with YakTrax, but found that they only lasted me a season. Now I use Microspikes.

For warmth, I dress in layers, synthetic T shirt, fleece with hood, then a waterproof wind jacket over that. A neck gaitor is a huge help in staying warm. REI is your friend if you have one nearby.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
It seems to stay healthy I must exercise. I have been walking around the neighborhood. This is Ohio and winter is about to arrive.

I need suggestions for what to wear while walking in cold weather and light snow.
Amazon.com: Fox ECWCS Extreme Cold Weather Polypropylene Underwear Bottom, Brown, Large: Clothing

I call it my space suit.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

When the ice hits here and I can't walk fast......I have a treadmill that I have in front of a second tv. I just got a pair of slip-on rubber traction thingies from REI a couple of days ago. She is the one who walks the dogs.....and when there are icy conditions she sometimes loses the 2 dog tug-o-war.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Thought you were moving to Florida?
Not moving until a year or so from now.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
If you are walking in icy conditions, I use a rubber strap on traction device over hiking boots. I started out with YakTrax, but found that they only lasted me a season. Now I use Microspikes.

For warmth, I dress in layers, synthetic T shirt, fleece with hood, then a waterproof wind jacket over that. A neck gaitor is a huge help in staying warm. REI is your friend if you have one nearby.
I made this same migration.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:30 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Here is my winter outfit (the picture is from Google, not me).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trainer.jpg (166.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #9

Ah, a subject near and dear to my heart. I'm an Illinois resident and I go for walks with a neighbor year round. We are out there walking for exercise, not taking a stroll, and I assume that is the case for you as well. Because we are never standing still in the cold I've found that a lightly insulated hiking style boot works the best. Something with 200g - 400g of insulation should do if you wear a good wool sock with it. I have a pair of Merrill's that don't look like winter boots, but they fit me really well so they are comfortable to walk in and they have just enough insulation to keep my toes warm as long as I keep moving. Tip - for my bell-ringing shifts, I use toe warmers which are like hand warmers, and they last 2 hours.

Moving up the body, I bought a pair of flannel lined jeans last year and they're pretty comfy. On really cold days, long johns are still the way to go. My main weapon against the cold is a down parka. I've tried the layer approach, but I am tall, and the shells for most layering systems are not long enough for me. I wanted something that covered my butt and I finally found what I was looking for in the Mountain Hardware Downtown Coat. I can still use layers to adjust for conditions; often I'll wear the parka with only a heavy synthetic long sleeved t-shirt. On a really cold January night I'll add an additional insulation layer.

As others have posted a scarf or neck gaiter is a necessity particularly when the wind is blowing. I have both, but I think a nice comfy scarf is a little more flexible for taking a walk. I like Patagonia's Micro-D (for Delux) scarf. Long, unbelievably soft, and machine washable. For head gear you should own at least one hat that is advertised as being wind proof. When it comes to keeping my fingers warm, I struggled until I bought the Downtown Coat. It has long sleeves with stretchy cuffs inside and once I finagle them over my gloves, they seal out the air pretty well and now my hands stay pretty warm. I am keeping my eyes open for a pair of really good mittens, but they don't seem to last long enough to make it through to the post-winter sales.

Unfortunately, none of this stuff is cheap to buy right now and you apparently only need it for one season. Can you "mall walk" on the really cold days to avoid investing in cold weather gear?
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I also use the indoor bike trainer.....with a recumbent bicycle. Considering I just had my toe operated on....the indoor bike is likely the first exercise I will get long before I go outside to walk. The clothes that have been recommended are great and I also have that stuff. But....it comes down to one thing for me....can I walk FAST when it gets icy/snowy? Unless the snow is fresh, no. With heel slip and all kinds of other slipping....my groin usually feels like it's about to go. Just isn't worth it to me, and I LIKE it outside when it's cold.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I'm also a year round walker/hiker - mostly in Illinois. In winter, I generally hike in boots,smart wool socks, jeans, several upper layers, gloves/mittens, and stocking hat. I go out whenever its not raining and above 10 degrees. But I do walk on my treadmill when its real nasty out. Like others, I get most of my stuff from REI. Make sure that you get waterproof boots with good traction.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

One thiong I have never tried to figure in- as we get older, those of us who live where there is at least some ice and snow my be taking pretty big fracture risk by venturing out on the ice.

I know this winter I will be using my indoor rower more when there is ice, because I think ice and crutches or a cane are likely not a good combo. My buddy told me, don't get your hip done in winter, it is too hard to rehab. But there really isn't much control about that. I will still go out for groceries no matter what, though my GF has offered to deliver what I need. I think Safeway and Amazon deliver in my neighborhood also.

When there is no ice, I will be going out. Especially on a sunny Day in Dec or Jan, I'd go nuts if I stayed inside. It isn't cold enough here to worry about special cold weather clothing gear, but one needs good boots and rain gear.

Ha
Old 11-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We don't have the cold issue here in Central Valley CA. It only gets down to just about freezing at night, and usually high 40s to low 50s during the day during the worst part of the year. So, we usually adjust our exercise schedule to go out in the warmer part of the day. That said, since 2008 when I started forcing myself to run (no force required now), I have a hard time getting my heart rate up to where I feel I can call it "exercise" without breaking into at least a jog. I've had to dial back the running last year on the advice of the doc when dealing with a temporary BP issue (stress related, it seems), and then again this year due to some knee issues from from about April to July, but I'm working to get it back to my "pre-issue" levels. On my rest days from running, I walk 3-5 miles with the dogs at about 3.5 mph (incl "marking breaks"), and still rarely get much over 80-85 BPM. So, I classify my walks withe the pups as NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis). I suppose if I put on a 25 pound backpack and cold weather gear, and walked at 4mph without the dogs, I might be able to get it higher.

I know the question was about gear, but I'm curious about the effect of walking on HR for non-runners. How high (BPM or Max HR%) are you able to get it, after how long, and at what speed/pace?

R
Old 11-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter hunting, mostly walking on flat or sloped ground, some sitting quietly. If its going to be or stay much below freezing, I usually go with hiking boots (insulated snow boots at 20F or below) and wool socks. I am not a fan of long underwear. Instead I have two weights of insulated pants and a set of flannel-insulated overalls (pick which weight depending on how cold it will be). For upper body I usually have a flannel or moleskin shirt, possibly with a wicking underlayer if I expect to sweat a lot (exertion). if its really cold (20 or below) I will add a wool vest. Top layer is a coat or parka depending on how frigid the temp. I usually have a ball cap and a set of shooting muffs on which keeps my ears warm, but if I did not have the muffs on I would add a balaclava or a wool hat. Gloves are up to you. I find my hands sweat too much in heavy gloves if I am moving around much, so I usually wear a set that only has 40 grams of thinsulate in each glove. DW has poor circulation in her extremities, so she goes the heaviest she can find.

Depending on how fast you go and how much you sweat, you may want to lighten up layers or make sure you have wicking stuff on as a base layer. Getting wet and clammy is a great way to get hypothermia, so be careful.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I know the question was about gear, but I'm curious about the effect of walking on HR for non-runners. How high (BPM or Max HR%) are you able to get it, after how long, and at what speed/pace?

R
I never was one of nature's runners, so I have largely given up in favor of prolonged, lower exertion exercise. If I spend a day humping a rifle/shotgun and some gear (and I intentionally do not minimize weight on my stuff) around the plains or (more strenuous) in the foothills, it is VERY clear by the end of the day that I have had a thorough workout. Does this give me peak aerobic ability? Not likely, but I've yet to see research that suggests the long term health effects of such are superior to sustained walking, etc., especially when you take into account the wear and tear of impact, etc. on the joints. YMMV, and I imagine that everyone's physiology is different.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post

R
Last week I decided to do the Rockport Walking Fitness Test so I walked as fast as I could for 1 mile, and completed it in 12.2 minutes. My HR at the end was 122, and my RHR is 47.

DW did it in 15.1 minutes and her HR was 142 at the end and her RHR is 68. (She is a foot shorter than me at 5'1", and 9 months younger at age 58)

PS
I play tennis, and ride a bike but never run.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I wouldn't expect a 65-yr old to look like that, no matter how fit he is.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #18

Just going out for a walk doesn't do diddle for my HR. My normal walking speed is about 13:30 per mile. Unless I am going uphill the HR just doesn't go up. So when my toe gets better......I usually go out for a 5 mile walk in the morning and then get on the treadmill for another 30-45 minutes in the afternoon. Uphill on the treadmill at 4.4mph I can usually get a good workout. Although....that is the nice thing about the bike....I can go fairly easy and keep my HR in the low 100's or push hard and spike the HR as high as I want.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #19

I love to run, so I get out as often as I can. The key for me, as mentioned above, is simply to layer my clothing and wear less than I would like. It can be quite chilly when I start out, but after a mile or two I'm generally perfectly comfortable.

I won't run under only three conditions. If it's above 80 degrees F, below 10 degrees, or when there is ice or snow on the ground. In those situations, I have a treadmill and a rowing machine at home.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
The budget alternative is to use sheet metal screws in an old pair of shoes or boots dedicated for icy or snow-packed days. You wouldn't want to wear them on dry days, and never inside.

I haven't done this myself, I use YakTrax.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote