Join Early Retirement Today

Exercise More -> Eat More
Old 07-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Exercise More -> Eat More

DW feels that the more she exercises, the hungrier she gets, and the more she eats. She says she's hungrier the next day, especially.

Anyone info on this?

Found this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7080440/
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've done a comprehensive study of a single test subject, and have found this to be 100% true. It's my latest, best excuse for complete slothfulness.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For me, it depends on what kind of exercise. If I do a long, strenuous hike I don't find that my appetite increases noticeably. But if I weight train especially lower body, strenously enough to end up with sore muscles, then I definitely am hungrier later in the day and the next day. Eating more protein helps with that.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The article that Calgary Girl posted in another thread, from the Calgary newspaper, found something different, they suggest that exercise acts as an appetite suppressant.

I would think that the endorphins released during exercise would make you feel less hungry, but when they wear off, then the hunger comes. That is how it is with me, anyway.

Here's the article from the calgary herald, which has depressing data on maintenance of weight loss.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
The article that Calgary Girl posted in another thread, from the Calgary newspaper, found something different, they suggest that exercise acts as an appetite suppressant.

I would think that the endorphins released during exercise would make you feel less hungry, but when they wear off, then the hunger comes. That is how it is with me, anyway.

Here's the article from the calgary herald, which has depressing data on maintenance of weight loss.
Sometimes when you think you are hungry, you are really just thirsty; first drink some water (or weak herbal tea), wait 20 minutes or so , and see if you are still hungry.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
For me, it depends on what kind of exercise. If I do a long, strenuous hike I don't find that my appetite increases noticeably. But if I weight train especially lower body, strenously enough to end up with sore muscles, then I definitely am hungrier later in the day and the next day. Eating more protein helps with that.
I find this true with backpacking. After a long day of backpacking I am barely hungry. What's weird is about four days later it hits me and I get really hungry.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

My feeling is that evolution has finely tuned us to walk and climb trees and other low aerobic stuff. If we were meant to run our knees would face backwards.

I heard (don't remember where) higher aerobic and anaerobic exercise burns blood sugar, making us hungry. Low aerobic exercise (walking and the like) burns body fat.

There is a theory out there that caloric restriction extends life. When we eat, and burn calories, free radicals are formed, which damage our cells. If you believe this, high aerobic activity leads to eating more calories, which leads to an earlier death.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
There is a theory out there that caloric restriction extends life.
I can't resist...

It doesn't make you live longer, it just feels like it.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #9

Wild. DW and I were literally just talking about this. She exercised this afternoon (again), and was complaining that she was feeling more hunger after exercising. When I do intense exercise, I don't feel hungry for a while (usually an hour) afterwards. Guess different bodies respond differently.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Depends, usually I eat the most the day after weight training and I eat the most later in the day of high intensity aerobic training. The rest of the time, the exercise can suppress my appetite.
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

I actually feel less hungry after I work out. I've gone to the gym when I've been really hungry and after weight training and 40 min of cardio, I forget that I wanted food. Most of the time after a work out, I only eat because I should, not because I am hungry. I think part of it is a mental thing.
Jessica08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

From my unscientific study of one, I eat more when I'm doing lots of running. Not necessarily immediately after running, but later or the next day. I believe my metablism rises and I crave more food.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I *always* eat more and gain weight for the first 2-3 weeks of a new (and soon to be former) exercise regime. After a while I build up a little more muscle mass and my basal metabolic rate comes up enough to make up the difference.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

My gym workout is mostly weights, with as little cardio as I can justify (usually 3x as much time lifting weights with some intensity, as doing cardio).

It really, really REALLY lowers my appetite. That is because I am a cubicle dweeb who battles a tendency to engage in stress eating, and exercise lowers my stress level. Lifting weights especially does this, because I focus and get pretty serious about it and channel all that stress.

Usually if I work out, I end up feeling more satisfied than I would normally feel, after consuming about 250 calories less than usual. I'm not saying that I always eat less after lifting - - but often I do. Who can eat much while on an endorphin high? Not me, anyway.

I have no idea how a purely cardio routine like running or elliptical would affect my appetite, because I just can't get myself enthused about these activities and have never done a routine like that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
DW feels that the more she exercises, the hungrier she gets, and the more she eats. She says she's hungrier the next day, especially.
Sure. If I don't eat a snack between taekwondo and bedtime, I'll wake up at 2 AM starving to death.

The only effective counters I've found are to:
- Drink more water and wait 15-20 minutes. If you're still hungry then you'll at least have had the time to plan what you'll be eating instead of randomly emptying the fridge.
- Eat more protein & fiber.

A cup of coffee helps slow down my eating too, but that's a temporary solution wrapped inside a bunch of other problems.

I find that I have to keep track of the things that trigger my bad eating habits-- beer commercials, eating a meal out with friends, or being stressed.

The calorie-restriction cults have never really had a good response among people who like to exercise frequently and build muscle.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #16
Administrator

I agree with the article OP posted, and I always have a snack when I get in from work - fruit usually - before the work out, then eat dinner after the workout but try and eat it very slowly, and drink a big glass of water. However I still snack plently during the evening so always have plenty of fruit, veggies and crispbread on hand. On a Sunday before we cylce about 45 minutes to breakfast we always drink a glass of milk first to give an energy boost.

the only other thing I would add is that it is much better to be fit than thin, so try and evaluate your increase in fitness as a good measure of progress, not just how much weight you are losing.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

I decided to train for a half-marathon this year and during the first month or two of increased exercise it seemed that I was famished every minute of the day. I eat meat infrequently - maybe once every 8-12 weeks - but started experiencing cravings for beef and then actually dreamed about sides of beef (not pretty!). It's become more manageable with time but I still plan for 100-250 calorie snacks shortly after an intensive workout.
redmcclain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmcclain View Post
It's become more manageable with time but I still plan for 100-250 calorie snacks shortly after an intensive workout.
You are supposed to eat or drink something with a couple of hundred calories or so as soon as possible, say 30 minutes or so, after vigorous exercise. Glycogen is replenished more efficiently during that time and the faster you replace it the faster your recover.

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

I went from occasional exercising to a real routine 1hr. water aerobics and half hour weights and I haven't noticed any change in my eating habits or my hunger levels.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #20

Does she stay below her aerobic threshold?
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote