Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2015, 06:13 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

great news alan. I get an embedded heart monitor tomorrow to keep an eye on my tachycardia to see if it warrants any treatment. $20K for a "thumbdrive" inserted below the skin of my chest - thankful for insurance as my portion is only $2K

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #62

Thanks everyone, I even managed to get the Doc's office to cut a physical check for the $660 they owed me, since they apparently can't do credits to a credit card and I told them I leaving for 6 months next day so mailing a check was no good.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Really good news--no intracardiac thrombus, so no need for anticoagulants. And the stress test--impressive indeed!
Old 04-30-2015, 10:37 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
Really good news--no intracardiac thrombus, so no need for anticoagulants. And the stress test--impressive indeed!
Thanks.

He did tell me to keep taking the aspirin a day that I started taking on advice from my Doc when the AFib happened in March.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:32 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I was doing HIIT similar to your regiment Alan for many years and my bp was 50/<100. In the last couple of years, I have not been as disciplined because of back issues along with headaches. When I hiked with a heart monitor, my heart beat could go up as high as 170. It felt like it was going to explode, but it was exhilaration. But you remind me that I was in the best of shape when I was doing it religiously so I’m going start up again and try to do it more consistently. I'm 58 yo btw.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneehigh View Post
I was doing HIIT similar to your regiment Alan for many years and my bp was 50/<100. In the last couple of years, I have not been as disciplined because of back issues along with headaches. When I hiked with a heart monitor, my heart beat could go up as high as 170. It felt like it was going to explode, but it was exhilaration. But you remind me that I was in the best of shape when I was doing it religiously so Iím going start up again and try to do it more consistently. I'm 58 yo btw.
As my old pappy never said, "If you don't use it, you lose it".

I think the best thing I can do is to work through the pain in the joints and keep them moving. I've had to give up running and any sort of impact sport or exercise because of my back. If I wasn't retired I wouldn't have time to fit in all the regular physio, stretching and strength training exercises for my back, shoulder (tendonosis) and foot (plantar fasciitis), to be able to do all the walking and hiking we enjoy so much.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1430584439.836191.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
As my old pappy never said, "If you don't use it, you lose it".

I think the best thing I can do is to work through the pain in the joints and keep them moving. I've had to give up running and any sort of impact sport or exercise because of my back. If I wasn't retired I wouldn't have time to fit in all the regular physio, stretching and strength training exercises for my back, shoulder (tendonosis) and foot (plantar fasciitis), to be able to do all the walking and hiking we enjoy so much.
I have a lot of trouble with my knees. For this reason I avoid anything high impact like jumping, jogging, etc.

Sometimes when I step up my exercise level, I experience some knee pain. But I have found that it's usually due to one or more of the muscles or tendons in my legs being tight (as a result of the exercise). So if I'm good about stretching often, I can avoid, or at least greatly reduce any knee pain from exercise.

So I think some of the joint issues can be managed by appropriate stretching, just like you indicate.