Existing Health Insurance & Basal Cell

SkisALot

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone know how basil cell carcinoma will effect my health insurance premium? I've had an Aetna policy in California for 2 1/2 years. I was accepted then even though I had actinic keratosis and now I've been diagnosed with basil cell carcinoma. My policy renews in January and I'm scheduled to have the spot removed in October. I don't have any other conditions. In fact, other than the dermatologist I haven't seen a doctor in over 2 years.

SkisALot said:
Does anyone know how basil cell carcinoma will effect my health insurance premium? I've had an Aetna policy in California for 2 1/2 years. I was accepted then even though I had actinic keratosis and now I've been diagnosed with basil cell carcinoma. My policy renews in January and I'm scheduled to have the spot removed in October. I don't have any other conditions. In fact, other than the dermatologist I haven't seen a doctor in over 2 years.

If I understand you correctly that you have and will continue to have your same existing policy, there should be no change in your premium. Outside of a person not declaring an existing health condition prior to acceptance, or fraud, your premium price will not be any different than what others in your age group band are paying. I assume you are in an individual plan? Health insurance isn't (or legally it shouldn't) like car insurance where you will pay more for accidents. Needless to say your chances of ever rate shopping and changing companies wouldn't be as good because of health incident. Good luck with the removal and relax about the health insurance. It appears through people that I know that rate increases have dropped this year from years past. Hopefully you will have a smaller increase, too!

If I understand you correctly that you have and will continue to have your same existing policy, there should be no change in your premium. Outside of a person not declaring an existing health condition prior to acceptance, or fraud, your premium price will not be any different than what others in your age group band are paying. I assume you are in an individual plan? Health insurance isn't (or legally it shouldn't) like car insurance where you will pay more for accidents. Needless to say your chances of ever rate shopping and changing companies wouldn't be as good because of health incident. Good luck with the removal and relax about the health insurance. It appears through people that I know that rate increases have dropped this year from years past. Hopefully you will have a smaller increase, too!

Yes, it's an existing and an individual policy that I will continue to have. And I declared every little freckle when I applied for it.

I have had several removed including one last week and it has never affected my insurance premiums

SkisALot said:
Yes, it's an existing and an individual policy that I will continue to have. And I declared every little freckle when I applied for it.

I just read an interesting but useless statistic,that I have in common with you. Only about 5% of Americans have an individual health insurance policy. It's by far the smallest slice compared to group plans, Medicare, and even uninsured which is way more than that. I didn't realize the individual market was that dramatically small.

I didn't realize the individual market was that dramatically small.

It appears that we belong to the "anomoly" group (and I know I spelled that word wrong). You know, the group that I guess is outside of the group of the "real" human beings; otherwise, we'd have group insurance.Or maybe it's the other way around: those with "group" insurance aren't individuals.
I knew "our" group was small, but not that small. Now I feel like I'm really out in left field.

Back
Top Bottom