Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I think it's interesting that the current ACA policies for the over 60s aren't much cheaper than the recently departed high risk pools. It must be the maternity benefits
Premiums for ACA compliant policies are similar to large group rates. The outliers are individual underwritten policies, the rates much lower as a result of all the exclusions.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
This healthcare economist doesn't think the changes amount to much:

Impact of the “like it/keep” extension likely small and self-limiting | The Incidental Economist

The "kickbacks" are called "risk corridors" and were quite successful when Medicare Part D was implemented by the last administration. Currently, the economists and policy analysts who work in the field are also projecting that they will probably result in money flowing in the opposite direction. I don't think that Kudlow and the WSJ are good sources of information on healthcare policy. I prefer Uwe Reinhardt and the Kaiser Family Foundation as their interests are not political.

Informative article AllDone, and thanks. My only concern from the article is that it basically states things will be better because the penalties will change behavior by 2016 and force purchase. It appears now for several years into the future there will be no penalty for noncompliance as the article I assume was written prior to this or was unaware of it. The section of the article I also found interesting was the problems of predicting human behavior. Many of us here follow logical thought process in our minds and assume health insurance to be critical. Many people may not or would not have it, if it meant not having an iPhone. My favorite anecdotal example was an reporter asking people about their health insurance. A well dressed lady about 30 was asked the question and her response was she didn't know if she even had health insurance or not. But I would have bet every penny in my bank account she knew the model of her cell phone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
That was the situation in my state, a healthy 50 yr old forced into a high risk pool. The insurer that controls the state market is also involved in underwriting the high risk pool. So they reject you for regular insurance and force you into the risk pool where they charge a lot more for a lot less insurance. Very high deductibles with annual and lifetime caps.
Yeah, I was always suspicious of this. Seemed like a serious conflict of interest.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
You're the only one I've heard of and I've heard of dozens of people that didn't make it. I'm assuming you went from employer coverage to COBRA and then to private insurance.

I've known people taking no meds, had no known issues, were of reasonable weight for their height and didn't get any regular private insurance. I think it's interesting that the current ACA policies for the over 60s aren't much cheaper than the recently departed high risk pools. It must be the maternity benefits
Well at least the policies for those in their 50s are quite a bit lower.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
This healthcare economist doesn't think the changes amount to much:
Impact of the “like it/keep” extension likely small and self-limiting | The Incidental Economist

The "kickbacks" are called "risk corridors" and were quite successful when Medicare Part D was implemented by the last administration. Currently, the economists and policy analysts who work in the field are also projecting that they will probably result in money flowing in the opposite direction. I don't think that Kudlow and the WSJ are good sources of information on healthcare policy. I prefer Uwe Reinhardt and the Kaiser Family Foundation as their interests are not political.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJob View Post
My educated guess is that there will be no limit on premiums.

Remember health insurance premiums have been regulated for decades by the state insurance commission. Companies have not been free to say Joe was pay $400/month last year I think will jack up the rate to $800, unless they go the insurance commission to go along with premium increase.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Remember health insurance premiums have been regulated for decades by the state insurance commission. Companies have not been free to say Joe was pay $400/month last year I think will jack up the rate to $800, unless they go the insurance commission to go along with premium increase.
FL's insurance commissioner is MIA and has been since I moved here almost 5 years ago. I understand that other states have active commissioners.