Join Early Retirement Today

Experience to share - Moved DM to Assisted Living
Old 02-15-2019, 02:40 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Experience to share - Moved DM to Assisted Living

My 81 year old mom has dementia. It has gotten to a point of being dangerous to live by herself. She can't retain her short term memory unless it has significant emotional content. She can't manage her medicine. Her apartment is full of things she kept buying/bringing in b/c she can't remember if she has the item or not. Once in our visit (360 mile drive), we found 6 different bag of onions bought at different times. The oldest one has turned into a rotting mushy thingy. She started get lost while driving so we took away her car. Number of her neighbors, friends begin to shrink and I suspect she was spending most of her time alone. I also suspected that she was being taken advantage of by people close to her.

But I knew it was going to be a battle to make her move. She has been fiercely independent all her life, and despite being aware of her "memory" issue, she believes she is well enough to live by herself. We visited multiple assisted living places with her. None met her approval. Instead, she was insistent on how she is fit to live by herself. This went on for a few months until we found an assisted living place where one of her friends live. She became a spokesperson for the place and my mom finally agreed to move. We submitted an application for DM and returned home.

Some two weeks later, we got the notice that the place is ready to receive DM. When I told DM that we are coming to move her to her friend's "apartment," she went "huh?" Of course, she (her dementia) forgot all about the assisted living place she visited, and her friend who is waiting for DM to join her there. In essence, I had to start the battle all over again. A few days before the move, I took DM to the place again. Unknown to DM, I prearranged her friend to be there to meet her. This worked and before my mom's memory of this 2nd visit faded, we mover her into the new place.

The 1st month was tough for all of us. DW and I spent two weeks away from home, setting up her new place, visiting her every day to help her get adjusted, cleaning out her old apartment, .... All the while, DM resenting the move, worrying about stuff she left in her old place, etc..

It's been two months now and DM is happy in the new place. She has new friends, more activities, and definitely less lonely. She became physically healthier, too. Things worked out well, knock on wood.

Moving her to the assisted living place was one of the most stressful thing I had to go through since I retired 3 years ago. The finality of my mom's condition hit me hard. The fact that I have to move her to a place where the main gate is locked from inside hit me harder. But I've come to terms with it. Special thanks to DW whom I could not have done the move without.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 02:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
My 81 year old mom has dementia. It has gotten to a point of being dangerous to live by herself. She can't retain her short term memory unless it has significant emotional content. She can't manage her medicine. Her apartment is full of things she kept buying/bringing in b/c she can't remember if she has the item or not. Once in our visit (360 mile drive), we found 6 different bag of onions bought at different times. The oldest one has turned into a rotting mushy thingy. She started get lost while driving so we took away her car. Number of her neighbors, friends begin to shrink and I suspect she was spending most of her time alone. I also suspected that she was being taken advantage of by people close to her.

But I knew it was going to be a battle to make her move. She has been fiercely independent all her life, and despite being aware of her "memory" issue, she believes she is well enough to live by herself. We visited multiple assisted living places with her. None met her approval. Instead, she was insistent on how she is fit to live by herself. This went on for a few months until we found an assisted living place where one of her friends live. She became a spokesperson for the place and my mom finally agreed to move. We submitted an application for DM and returned home.

Some two weeks later, we got the notice that the place is ready to receive DM. When I told DM that we are coming to move her to her friend's "apartment," she went "huh?" Of course, she (her dementia) forgot all about the assisted living place she visited, and her friend who is waiting for DM to join her there. In essence, I had to start the battle all over again. A few days before the move, I took DM to the place again. Unknown to DM, I prearranged her friend to be there to meet her. This worked and before my mom's memory of this 2nd visit faded, we mover her into the new place.

The 1st month was tough for all of us. DW and I spent two weeks away from home, setting up her new place, visiting her every day to help her get adjusted, cleaning out her old apartment, .... All the while, DM resenting the move, worrying about stuff she left in her old place, etc..

It's been two months now and DM is happy in the new place. She has new friends, more activities, and definitely less lonely. She became physically healthier, too. Things worked out well, knock on wood.

Moving her to the assisted living place was one of the most stressful thing I had to go through since I retired 3 years ago. The finality of my mom's condition hit me hard. The fact that I have to move her to a place where the main gate is locked from inside hit me harder. But I've come to terms with it. Special thanks to DW whom I could not have done the move without.
Nice one Rob. Well done.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:32 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Been there, done that. You did well and your Mom is much better off for your prompt actions.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:46 AM   #4

Sorry that you and your wife had to go through this stressful time.
It sounds like it was the right move. I know you said she agreed to the move originally but when someone has dementia can you just move them? I wonder when I read posts like this if you have to have them declared incompetent if they won't move.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:54 AM   #5

Robnplunder, I think you handled this very difficult situation extremely well.
Lewis Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:24 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

If your mom was whole, she would be proud. Nice job.
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:35 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Tough but the right choice for all concerned.
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:40 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

good job, we lived through this with DW's uncle. DW was the love of his life, BUT he had become a mean/nasty man to her. Broke our hearts to see the change that this horrible THING does to a brain... This will bring a nice change to your life !!!!
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:45 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for sharing your story. My mom is 77 with Lewy Body Dementia, so I think we'll be doing this sooner rather than later as well. It helps to know that it gets better.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:10 AM   #10

Mom went into assisted living for a couple of years until she started wandering. Then into memory care and finally an adult foster home. About eight years total. It was really tough. Can't imagine those who take care of their parents at home in these situations.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Went through this last year with my 86 yo mid-state dementia DM. She has no spouse. I have no siblings so it was all on me.

She actually was living alone up until early last year. She fell at night then wanted to go to the hospital the next morning. Alcohol consumption was involved.

I took her in and they said her muscles were very deconditioned and that PT would help.

5 weeks later, at the end of the hospital/rehab facility stay, they said that she wasn't ready to live alone yet and prescribed further PT/OT.

I looked at this as a temporary need for an AL facility. There was one 2 miles from my house, so I thought all things being equal, lets check this one out. They allowed her to stay on a 'respite' status for up to 90 days which she did. After that she would need be converted to a normal resident with the associated up front, non-refundable community fee ($1500).

I said Mom, if you want to try to move back home and see how you like it now would be the time. We tried this, but within 10 days she was ready to go back to the facility (yeah!). It was her decision and she liked the idea of being near me instead of on the other side of town (yeah!).

This setup the course to shut down her existing apartment and establish a permanent room at the facility.

While clearing out her apartment, I had to make many choices of what to keep and what to let go. My 2nd cousin is an interior designer and female so she was also very helpful in the process.

What I decided to do was to retain a storage locker for things that she may still want. Recall that I was making the initial sort but we could switch thing. She was much more comfortable with this decision as opposed to have to sort everything up front.

All in all there are ongoing challenges with a DM with dementia, but over all I think it went okay.

The four key things from this experience were:
- a trip to the hospital can trigger a recommendation that she not live alone until further notice (ie. Dr's Orders).

- Some "temporary/respite" time spent at a facility will possibly allow her to make bonds.

- Allowing her to go back home for 10 days allowed her to make the decision to return to the AL facility.

- The use of a storage facility to ease the transition was worth it -- much cheaper than maintaining 2 residences.

Going forward, I am basically looking at this as a Journey and not a destination.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:46 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like you did everything right. My best wishes for your whole family.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

2011 through Sept 2018 my in-laws were in I/L, A/L, and M-I-L finally in memory unit. She was there longer than most, for a few years. I had an active roll with finances, while spouse had the extreme load of finances and emotional care.

It is a large relief to know they are safe. Many stories along the way...
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

It is a very hard decision to make but they are usually happier in their new abode .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #15

Well-handled, in my opinion. I hope the assisted living facility is close to you rather than close to your mom's former home 360 miles away. You will be visiting her frequently to ensure she is getting the proper attention and is thriving, and will need to be her spokesperson for the ever-increasing doctor's visits.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
Well-handled, in my opinion. I hope the assisted living facility is close to you rather than close to your mom's former home 360 miles away. You will be visiting her frequently to ensure she is getting the proper attention and is thriving, and will need to be her spokesperson for the ever-increasing doctor's visits.
Congrats for a great job to DW + you + DM.

Did a similar move of DM 4,5 years ago, then 85 y old but fortunately no dementia.
There is a wide spectrum between "incompetent to make decisions" and "better off allowing loved ones to push you to decisions you are afraid to take alone".
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good for you. My DM is 82. Lost the car last year when she had a stroke while driving but is still fiercely ensconced at home. The day will come when I have to do what you did; I only hope I handle it as well as you did.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I know you said she agreed to the move originally but when someone has dementia can you just move them? I wonder when I read posts like this if you have to have them declared incompetent if they won't move.

I wondered about it, too, and hoped that it didn't have to go that far. Luckily, she moved willingly. But without her friend in the facility already, I hate to think what I had to do.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My good friend got dementia in her 50’s. By 63 her husband died and I had to put her in a home. She always very social so I thought she would thrive. Instead within 2 months she no longer recognized anyone and the doctor said it cannot progress that fast. She barely ate and paced most of the time. We changed her medications etc but nothing helped. Within a year she was in diapers, being fed and non-verbal. Thankfully her cancer came back and killed her.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. We went through the same thing with my aunt when she was in her late 80's. She left behind a big house full of "Stuff" that took 3 huge Dempster Dumpsters to get rid of.

First she moved to assisted living. About age 96, she went on to full nursing home care after a broken hip. Expect the same for your DM. But Auntie lived to 3 months short of 100 years, and she was happy.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote