Join Early Retirement Today

Experience with Pre-Packaged Food Diets
Old 08-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Experience with Pre-Packaged Food Diets

Has anyone had any experience, good/bad with using something like Nutrisystems/Jenny Craig for weight loss?

I low carbed for years, lost and maintained a 30lb loss for years, but when I started nearing menopause, it gradually went down hill from there.
I tried strict low carb again for 2 months and actually gained 4 lbs .
It seems no matter what I do, or how much I exercise, I continue to gain weight. I've kept months of food journals, seldom going over 1000 cals/day and STILL steadily gain weight every month. Dr's are at a loss and basically say "sometimes that's just the way it is.. deal with it.. at least you are healthy"... NOT something I want to hear.
Thought i might give Nutrisystems/Jenny Craig a try, but it's seems pretty expensive... but then again.. my last option of Lipo isn't cheap either!
Save
KimInWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #2

I have not personally, but have two friends who had excellent success with Ideal Protein, which is a doctor-prescribed and medically supervised program:
Our Doctor Derived Weight Loss Program Provides You with a Diet that Really Works
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have they done a full thyroid panel?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yes, panel was "normal". They also did a metabolism test.. and get this.. it's actually a bit HIGHER than normal! ??
Old 08-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

DW did Nutrisystems years ago. She lost some weight, maybe 10 lbs. As soon as she quit paying for the expensive, not so tasty food, it all came back. Of course it does, it taught her nothing other than eat the expensive not too tasty food.

Last year we started doing MyFitnessPal, free version. We invested $15.95 on a food scale. Together we are down 107 pounds, she's lost 52 of those. We've been maintaining for about 8 months, still logging our meals, with no weight gain. We actually have calories to enjoy a serving of Ben and Jerry’s every night.

We both learned to eat differently. MFP allows you to see the mix of carbs, fat and protein(macros) you're eating and we've found that higher protein and fat(fat does not make you fat) keeps us full. I learned different types of food to eat that I enjoy more and are lower in calories.

FYI, DW is 59 and on a medication that causes weight gain! She gained 35 pounds when she first went on it. I feel sad we were both obese for so long when the answer was very simple. YMMV.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #6

To my dismay, since all they do is portion control, DW often buys the Jenny Craig meals and that seems to help. But it makes her happy and she doesn't spend much on other junk stuff so I just keep quiet about it.

But be warned, the "Silver Dollar Pancakes" really are about the size of a silver dollar. I could eat a dozen of those meals and then sit down and die of starvation.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What worked for me was to eat a lot of protein, vegetables, and fruit and lift heavy weights. My weight stayed the same but my body fat plummeted and my jeans went from size 34 to 32.

Make sure you are getting stronger each week and eat clean.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have never been one to eat junk food, candy, desserts, etc.. I seldom eat between meals. Never deep fry things (found the wonderful kitchen gadget the Air Fryer!), normally baked or grilled, red meat once a month or so. Lots and lots of chicken without skin. Cut out all things labeled "diet", low cal, low fat, no fake sweeteners, no soda's.. no fake anything anymore.
Drink gallons (over exaggeration, but still) of straight water.
I've measured, weighed, eyeballed, calculated proper % of fats, cals, proteins, sugars, etc... and STILL gain weight each month.
My one indulgence is 2 Scotch/Rocks after work.
I retire Sept 2017 and I really want to lose at least the back/hip fat rolls before we start traveling to beaches!! I can hid the fat tummy a bit easier!
Old 08-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #9

This well written essay is slightly off-topic, and may or may not be helpful, but that is the intent -

Quote:
If weight were a matter of calories in and calories out, we’d all be the weight we choose. Everyone’s gotten the memo. We all know the ‘eat less’ principle. Losing weight should be as easy as choosing a shirt colour. And yet, somehow it isn’t, and the United States grows heavier. It’s time to consider the problem through an alternative lens.
https://aeon.co/essays/hunger-is-psy...makes-it-worse
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimInWis View Post
If I had two drinks most days I would gain at least a pound a week. Have you tried cutting that out for 2 weeks? I've never found I can drink at all and lose weight - like even once a week some wine - undoes DAYS of good work.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #11
gone traveling

Tracking calories consumed vs burned is not necessarily that easy to measure, so maybe the answer lies there, although I suspect some health related issues could also play a role. That said, I do think having a proper macro and micro nutrient diet will at least play a role in avoiding food cravings.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You don't specify but if it's 100 proof and you have two ounces per drink then that would be 320 calories per day x5 days a week x4 weeks a month=
6400 calories per month=>1.8 pounds per month. That's around 20 pounds per year. May want to cut back.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

It's actually 80 proof and 90 cals/shot, so 180 cals a day.

And yes, I've cut out the alcohol for 2 months and still gained weight.

And as I've said.. I've tracked my eating and drinking for 3 months (with a dietitian) , at or below 1000 cals/day and still gained weight. She then tried acupuncture in my ear to reduce food cravings even when I told her cravings weren't my problem. And when I still gained weight she sent me back to my Dr who then sent me to get my metabolism checked..and that came back to slightly above average.

I alternate between aerobic type exercise, weights and core strengthening 5 days a week for 45 mins per day (at home during my extended lunch hour). I live in the boonies, so the closest gym is over an hour a way, so I make do with what I can.

So everyone has basically washed their hands of me, and as I'm not having any health issues, they are reluctant to look any further.

I've never been skinny, but I've never had fat rolls either and THOSE are what are really bothering me.. uncomfortable and gross.

I'd even be ok with the weight I'm at if I just STOP gaining more...
Old 08-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

For most of history, people were slim basically until they died. Look at street scenes in movies from the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Look at photos of your ancestors, I never had a fat ancestor, male or female, old or young. But all 3 of my sibs were fat, so something is profoundly different. It can't be gym time, because until I was 18 or so my fairly large city had only two public gyms each with several locations. One with YMCA sponsorship, and one with a Roman Catholic sponsorship. There were also some racquet clubs which were private. Some of my ancestors had physical jobs, others not, and this reflected the population at large. One thing is different from the past for almost all Americans, and that is time spent in cars.

This could be the issue for you also. I do think that at least half of post-menopausal women tend to have more padding than before menopause. Still, I look at those old photos, and although the older men tended to be slimmer than many of the older women, not by much.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
I have never been one to eat junk food, candy, desserts, etc.. I seldom eat between meals. Never deep fry things (found the wonderful kitchen gadget the Air Fryer!), normally baked or grilled, red meat once a month or so. Lots and lots of chicken without skin. Cut out all things labeled "diet", low cal, low fat, no fake sweeteners, no soda's.. no fake anything anymore.
Drink gallons (over exaggeration, but still) of straight water.
I've measured, weighed, eyeballed, calculated proper % of fats, cals, proteins, sugars, etc... and STILL gain weight each month.
I retire Sept 2017 and I really want to lose at least the back/hip fat rolls before we start traveling to beaches!! I can hid the fat tummy a bit easier!

That is probably the number 1 problem, that is approx 200 calories per day, which is 1400 / wk = 1/2 lb of fat.

Besides which it probably relaxes you , so you sit down and take it easy, and not burn off calories by pacing the floor
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Yes, panel was "normal". They also did a metabolism test.. and get this.. it's actually a bit HIGHER than normal! ??
Did the panel include antibodies rather than just T4 and T3 (free and bound) test?

Thyroid T4 and T3 can be normal but antibodies high and unless antibodies (for Hashimotos and Graves) are run, one wouldn't know it. Typically a GP just runs T4 and T3 (free and bound).
I ask because I had subclinical Graves. Normal T3's and T'4s but slightly high antibodies.....not out of the roof. But enough to make me feel fatigued, slow, could not build muscle easily and weight gain. (yes even with subclinical Graves as it is usually the other way around). Endocrinologist decided to not treat with medications (bless her). It took about 2 or 3 years to go into remission. I can pinpoint to the day (almost!) when it reversed.

My twin sister had Graves (killed her thyroid) and older sister has Hashimotos.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:51 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
As to your question, the prepared foods will cause you to lose weight, IF you don't eat ANYTHING else, and eat 1 per meal.

It worked for my sister, lost approx 60 lbs, then she stopped it and gained it all back over a year.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The key phrase is menopause. Even people who haven't been heavy ever, like my sister, seem to gain wait around this time. My weight is at its highest ever, and perimenopause is at the heart of it, between the lack of sleep and no energy combined with a general lack of enthusiasm for exercise.
I've used meals and smoothie powder a while ago from one of those online places, but can't recall the name, but honestly you could do the same with decent healthy frozen dinners from the grocery store if you wanted the same effect.
You might also consider trying phentermine for a couple of months if your doctor is amenable. The effect fades, but it gives you a decent boost in energy and also less appetite, though you said that wasn't really your issue.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Did the panel include antibodies rather than just T4 and T3 (free and bound) test?

Thyroid T4 and T3 can be normal but antibodies high and unless antibodies (for Hashimotos and Graves) are run, one wouldn't know it. Typically a GP just runs T4 and T3 (free and bound).
I ask because I had subclinical Graves. Normal T3's and T'4s but slightly high antibodies.....not out of the roof. But enough to make me feel fatigued, slow, could not build muscle easily and weight gain. (yes even with subclinical Graves as it is usually the other way around). Endocrinologist decided to not treat with medications (bless her). It took about 2 or 3 years to go into remission. I can pinpoint to the day (almost!) when it reversed.

My twin sister had Graves (killed her thyroid) and older sister has Hashimotos.
Not sure about the antibodies, I will ask next time I go back.
How did your issue reverse?
Old 08-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
The key phrase is menopause. Even people who haven't been heavy ever, like my sister, seem to gain wait around this time. My weight is at its highest ever, and perimenopause is at the heart of it, between the lack of sleep and no energy combined with a general lack of enthusiasm for exercise.
I've used meals and smoothie powder a while ago from one of those online places, but can't recall the name, but honestly you could do the same with decent healthy frozen dinners from the grocery store if you wanted the same effect.
You might also consider trying phentermine for a couple of months if your doctor is amenable. The effect fades, but it gives you a decent boost in energy and also less appetite, though you said that wasn't really your issue.
Yes, I used those frozen dinners (and still do) making sure none were over
300 cals, that's how I was able to fairly easy keep track of my calories during the day (always under 1200, normally 1000). I figured I could do the same with those type of meals as the Jenny Craig stuff, but it didn't work... that's why I thought, maybe their plan was better since they claim they have right ratio of fats, proteins, fiber, nutrients, etc... to lose weight.