Join Early Retirement Today

Experiences with Costco Optical?
Old 08-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Experiences with Costco Optical?

I am growing increasingly frustrated with my eye doctor. Everything was fine when things went well, but now that I am having problems with apparently defective lenses they are slow to respond, the office staff is much less pleasant to deal with, and I get the feeling they are getting ready to stick me with more exam fees for something that still has not been made right. At that point I am walking away and may be carpetbombing them on yelp as well.

Has anyone used Costco optical? Good, bad, indifferent? I generally get flawless service from Costco, so I wonder if the optical services are good as well. If it matters, I have a high minus prescription and an up to multifocal contacts.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
Administrator

Consumer Report has written nice things about them, and I recall a couple of threads with multiple favorable posts on the glasses and customer service.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ain-71817.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ses-81139.html
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I used them and they were fine. In fact, I cheaped out and had them put my new prescription in a pair of existing frames... I later had a problem with the frame (rolled over on them while napping)... I went there forgetting that I had not bought the frames there and the lady adjusted them for me anyway (admittedly it was a slow night... no body else was there).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm not sure if you are asking about using them to fill a prescription for glasses, or using the local optometrist that is based inside the store for an eye exam.

I have been filling my prescriptions for contact lenses and glasses with Costco for over 20 years. I can't imagine ever going anywhere else. Their service is fantastic, and the prices are lower than anyone else around.

As for the optometrist, I think it would just come down to the specific individual in the store and whether you like the way they handle your exam. I don't know how relevant feedback from others will be unless they have specifically gone to your store and seen the same doctor.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
gone traveling

I have found their frames and lenses to be good quality and reasonably priced. I am not sure their lenses are quite as good as what I have gotten at Lenscrafters, but they are half the price. Anyhow, I will definitely buy from Costco again.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been buying my glasses from Costco for many years now. The quality is excellent and the prices much lower than either my optometrist or chain stores such as Lenscrafters.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I'm not sure if you are asking about using them to fill a prescription for glasses, or using the local optometrist that is based inside the store for an eye exam.

I have been filling my prescriptions for contact lenses and glasses with Costco for over 20 years. I can't imagine ever going anywhere else. Their service is fantastic, and the prices are lower than anyone else around.

As for the optometrist, I think it would just come down to the specific individual in the store and whether you like the way they handle your exam. I don't know how relevant feedback from others will be unless they have specifically gone to your store and seen the same doctor.
Ditto on getting prescriptions filled. We have used a couple different optometrists--some are really competent doing the tougher fittings like multi-focal contacts whereas others refuse to even try. Like any other professional provider, personal chemistry varies but you can count on the exam price being very reasonable. I believe you can get price with a call to the store you would use.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #8

We use them. Quality is good, but not excellent (IMHO). The price is very good.

DW's latest pair of sunglasses needed adjustment: she'd go in and have it done. Great for a while, then they would go back to not fitting. Rinse and repeat. So there's that.

I haven't had this problem, but they do wear out after a couple of years of use. But did I mention the price is very good...
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #9

We used Costco for eye appointments and contact lenses. Best prices around. No longer need as we had our eyes fixed to better than 20/20.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We have used Costco Optical and the affiliated optometrist who is actually independent of the store. You can take any glasses or contacts prescription to Costco, you don't have to use the affiliated optometrist. The optometrist has been OK. Costco is a delight to deal with in filling any optical prescriptions.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I have used Costco for glasses and experienced no problems with the lenses. My frame cracked after a few months and they replaced it for free.

I would use them again.
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #12

DW got glasses and sun glasses from them. Good service, reasonable price no problem with the glasses. Not as cheap as Zenni, but she is happy.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #13

We use them for the eye exams, glasses and contact lenses and have been very pleased by the experience, cost and quality. We've had issues with their lenses a couple of times and they addressed them to our satisfaction.

For progressives, they only offer one kind of lens. Talk to them about it if that's what you're going for and see if that suits you.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:36 AM   #14

Only one experience so far. It went well and I will be going back.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #15

I've used Costco optical for over a decade with no issues. Mostly for contacts, but I've had a few pairs of glasses over the years. I also use the affiliated optometrist. My prescription is straightforward (nearsighted) and hasn't changed for ages. If I had more issues, then maybe I'd consider a different optometrist, or at least I'd do more research.

It doesn't hurt to try them out. It's not expensive and if it doesn't work for
you, you can go elsewhere next time.

As a side note, I ended up at the Costco optometrist after my last experience with an optometrist in a private clinic. During the entire appointment, she kept talking about making sure that she was going to get paid and if my insurance was current (it was). She was also trying to get me to order contacts through them, at a ridiculous markup. When I made the appointment, I was clear that all I wanted was a prescription which I'd have filled elsewhere (Costco). It was a nutty experience. I left there with only a prescription and the following year went to the Costco affiliated optometrist.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:59 PM   #16

Love them. Have used them for many years. Never a problem. Got contacts from them as well. Finally got DW to change from the fancy optometrist to them and she now admits that it isn't necessary to pay all that extra money to be happy with your eye wear.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:00 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

We are both extremely happy with Costco optical. Great service, great product, and great prices.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #18

Bought this pair there.
Good quality Ecco frames and progressive lenses at less than half my last pair.
The Optician was very good and had up to date equipment, but did upsell me to the dilation exam that I hadn't done for 5 years.
Only complaint so far is they don't carry Burberry frames, my one fashion splurge.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-31-2016, 05:24 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

That's where I'm headed the next time I need new spectacles. The 'real' office that I just went to took three tries to get my right bifocal where I could read with both eyes open. Wow. Then I wander through the Costco optical dept and see how much I could have saved.
Turn_the_Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:30 AM   #20

I have VSP eye insurance through work, and my annual eye exam costs me $10. Costco isn't in the VSP network, so I use the eye doc we've always used. However, I did get my glass prescriptions filled at Costco this year, and got TWO pair of no-line bifocals, one pair with transition lenses, and the other pair were computer glasses, for WAY less than one pair cost me at the eye doctor in years past.

The selection of frames was more limited but I saved hundreds of dollars, even with the very limited VSP coverage since Costco is out of network.

They are great about doing adjustments, and if you buy their eye glass cleaner, you can take the bottle anytime and refill it for free.

One of the many reasons I love Costco.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote