Join Early Retirement Today

Experiences with Rollator Walkers?
Old 03-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Experiences with Rollator Walkers?

I am looking into purchasing a rollator, or a rolling walker with a seat, for my mother, who has COPD and other health issues, and is 75 years old. She is getting almost no exercise today and is fearful of walking far without a clear place nearby on which to take a seat. If she is willing, I would like to provide a rollator to her in hopes it will provide her with a bit more mobility/sense of freedom.

There seem to be quite a few manufacturers, but I haven't found a good source for consumer reviews to help make a selection.

Has anyone here had experiences with particular brands/models that would help me to narrow the field? She will need a model that supports a user of 225 lbs and it will need to be folded up relatively easily to place in the back of vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is the kind I got my mom:
http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-...eywords=walker
It seems to be about the best type -- everyone else at her retirement community was envious of it.

But another consideration is its convenience. While that four-wheel rollator style is great, she eventually came to prefer a more collapsible three-wheel type like this:
Amazon.com: Drive Medical Winnie Lite Supreme Aluminum Three Wheel Rollator, Tan Plaid: Health & Personal Care
This style was far more maneuverable, and better for within her apartment.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-...eywords=walker
It seems to be about the best type -- everyone else at her retirement community was envious of it.

But another consideration is its convenience. While that four-wheel rollator style is great, she eventually came to prefer a more collapsible three-wheel type like this:
Amazon.com: Drive Medical Winnie Lite Supreme Aluminum Three Wheel Rollator, Tan Plaid: Health & Personal Care
This style was far more maneuverable, and better for within her apartment.

Thanks. I hadn't seen the three wheel type. Maneuverability will be a key issue in her home. Maybe one for in the home and another for trips to the store, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My mom has the four wheel style with the seat . She loves it . She's 98 and gets tired when walking any distance .
Old 03-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Choice depends...
Best to get advice from a person familiar with the person using the walker.
Weight, strength, or symtoms of dizzines, or muscle strength has a lot to do with the type and kind of support. Often the professional will advise, based not on what is wanted, but what is safe.
My oldest best friend who is 90, was reluctant to dive up his wheeled/seat walker, but the therapist recommended this style, for more support.

http://www.amazon.com/Ez2care-Deluxe...eywords=walker
Old 03-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #6

Make sure it is easy to lock the wheels. The last thing you want is for her to fall as she tries to sit down.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Amazon.com: Drive Medical Four Wheel Rollator with Fold Up Removable Back Support, Red: Health & Personal Care
It seems to be about the best type -- everyone else at her retirement community was envious of it....
I have a relative with one of these, it gets a lot of use, and is very stable, and handy as a chair to sit upon.
It folds up with 1 hand by me, and I can toss it into the trunk easily.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

As an alternative to a rollator you might also consider a Walkstool Comfort. These are handy at outdoor concerts, the beach, hiking, camping, a mall, waiting in a line.... where ever you might want to take a break.

Model Comparison | Walkstool

Walkstool Comfort | Amazon Product Search | camelcamelcamel.com
Old 03-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #10

I have seen quite a few folks with the 2 wheel type struggle when walking outside, vs the 4 wheel types.
The 2 non-wheel legs of a 2 wheel type constantly catch on things/cracks and have to be lifted to move.