Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
DH's regular eyeglasses (he has a separate pair for computer use) have a break in one stem and he wanted to get them repaired. We went off to Costco and found, not surprisingly in this throwaway world, they can't be repaired. And, because of a state law, new frames means a new vision exam and, probably new lenses. It's illegal to use a prescription more than a year old and he's probably had those glasses for 3 years.
it's the law in ID - eye doctor lobby I'm guessing

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Where did you get them, and why are the frames not guaranteed ?
We got them at one of the big box optical places. Just to decide whether it's worth going there first since they're a 45-minute drive from where we now live.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Everywhere I've ever lived, the law was that the prescription could only be filled if it was less than two years old.

What I always did was to scan the original prescription into a pdf file, alter the date, then print it (cutting to the original size). Nobody ever questioned it, since it appeared to be an original.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Everywhere I've ever lived, the law was that the prescription could only be filled if it was less than two years old.
That's what my optometrist said in CA -- that by law the prescriptions only last for two years. And that's what any optometry site online seems to say for California.

But the actual code seems to say the opposite: that two years is the minimum time:

Quote:
The expiration date of a spectacle lens prescription shall not
be less than two to four years from the date of issuance
unless the
patient's history or current circumstances establish a reasonable
probability of changes in the patient's vision of sufficient
magnitude to necessitate reexamination earlier than two years, or
presence or probability of visual abnormalities related to ocular or
systemic disease indicates, the need for reexamination of the patient
earlier than two years.
from CA Codes (bpc:2540-2545)

It wouldn't surprise me if my optometrist was purposely putting the minimum two year expiration and then blaming the "law".
Old 08-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #25

Quote:
I wonder if that's really the law though. When I dug into it earlier today, I found that the laws were actually worded such that expiration dates can be "no less than" a certain amount of time (i.e., two years). So apparently the industry can set its own standards and practices and can respect those standards and practices as they see fit, except they cannot effectively force people to get new prescriptions more often than is reasonably necessary.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:24 AM   #26

I haven't done this, but it might be cheapest just to buy an extra set of frames when you get new lenses & change them out when the frame breaks. With my gradual transition bifocal lenses, they are by far the biggest part of the cost & have been more resistant to breakage than frames.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #27

Since the frame arm is already broken, I would try in order to satisfy my self sufficient frugal nature (cheap nature to some):

1) go to small old fashioned eyeglass place, not a chain, and see if they know how to fix it (repair or order an arm for it).
2) super glue it together, after cleaning it with rubbing alcohol.
3) buy a frame that closely matches just to take off the arm and use on your glasses.
4) buy a replacement frame, which could be hard to find, but would be perfect solution. (old receipt may say frame type, or on frame itself)
5) order new glasses online or at a store
Old 08-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #28

Quote:

What I always did was to scan the original prescription into a pdf file, alter the date, then print it (cutting to the original size). Nobody ever questioned it, since it appeared to be an original.

Guilty of this same subterfuge.
I had a 3 year old Rx and altered the date before I faxed it to Walmart for my last pair of eyeglasses. My prescription hasn't changed in 15 years and I needed the new glasses ASAP, as my others had broken.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No surprise.... there are outlaws among us.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I just had to renew my drivers license in WA and for the first time I didn't have to go to DOL. I could renew online and just say my eyes are OK. Couldn't beleive my luck. I could well imagine they want to have laws about prescriptions to force people to be current. Still costs $50+ to get the license of course.
Good for me because I have this eye tracking problem that means it was hard for me to pass one of the tests (the split vision thingie they had)! Of course the doctors say I am fine to drive.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:45 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
2) super glue it together, after cleaning it with rubbing alcohol.
Consider www.sugru.com

Scroll down and click on "Gallery" to see all the things people repair with Sugru.