Join Early Retirement Today

eyelid twitch
Old 07-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

eyelid twitch

About a week ago, I developed this somewhat annoying twitch on my right upper eyelid. Didn't even know that one was possible.

At first, I thought it was maybe a stye or something. Then over a few days, I do notice the twitch would last longer. As of today, I'd be fine for hours, then the eyelid would twitch (sometimes as much as about 15 seconds) before stopping. No pain, just slow twitching.

I did do a search on webmd which says possilble causes can be caffiene (which I don't drink much of at all) or lack of sleep (I've been having decent amount of sleep each night).

Thoughts and first hand experiences are welcome.

Hopefully, it'll just run it's course soon.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
About a week ago, I developed this somewhat annoying twitch on my right upper eyelid. Didn't even know that one was possible.

At first, I thought it was maybe a stye or something. Then over a few days, I do notice the twitch would last longer. As of today, I'd be fine for hours, then the eyelid would twitch (sometimes as much as about 15 seconds) before stopping. No pain, just slow twitching.

I did do a search on webmd which says possilble causes can be caffiene (which I don't drink much of at all) or lack of sleep (I've been having decent amount of sleep each night).

Hopefully, it'll just run it's course soon.
Caffeine and lack of sleep are my triggers. It doesn't happen very often but those two things are present when it does.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #3

I've had similar occasional twitches for at least 15 years. Never often enough or severe enough for me to mention it to a doctor so I have no idea what the cause is. I used to think it was stress-related but now that I'm living the carefree ER life and still have them (although less frequently) I really have no idea.

Hope yours resolves soon and decides not to come back!
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #4

Well, that's a relief. I was beginning to wonder why you kept winking at us.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Glad to see that I'm not alone. This was the first time ever for me on the upper eyelid. I'd had on the lower a few times in the past.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Well, that's a relief. I was beginning to wonder why you kept winking at us.
Ha-ha. Somehow the post will seem funnier when the twitch stops! Or not .
Old 07-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If I need new glasses, I sometimes get a twitch like that, too.

At other times, occasionally a little more calcium in my diet seems to help - - maybe a glass of milk with dinner.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #8

Cold compresses sometimes help. On larger muscles I've used an ice pack with success, though ice may be too cold for use near one's eye.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer

Ha-ha. Somehow the post will seem funnier when the twitch stops! Or not .
It isn't funny at all. I hate it when my body starts acting up. I have no experience with this, but I do hope it clears up for you soon.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

At other times, occasionally a little more calcium in my diet seems to help - - maybe a glass of milk with dinner.
I do use an older pair of glasses instead of a more recent one. The newer one I use primarily just for driving at night as it feels a little too sharp though.

The irony is I've been eating healther recently (more fruits, plus been drinking more milk than usual).
Old 07-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My other thought is perhaps the twitch is caused by the vapor mask I wear when cleaning out the cat litter box. The mask is pretty tight on the face. I've switched to another mask that isn't so tight starting this morning. But I've been using that tighther mask for some time prior without a twitch.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Stress & fatigue.

Especially if you have to keep your face squinched up into some sort of "professional manner" appearance.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Stress & fatigue.

Especially if you have to keep your face squinched up into some sort of "professional manner" appearance.
+1
This is always what I attributed it to. I rarely have an eye twitch since retirement.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #14

used to have this happen when I w*rked. Always chalked it up to being tired and/or stressed. Your post reminds me that I haven't had it since I hung em up three years ago!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Stress & fatigue.

Had the same problem back in my w*orkin' daze....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eye twitch.jpg (31.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Probably another eye fatigue situation.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I had that frequently a year or so ago. Researched eye fatigue and that is when I bought some readers for my eyes. It went away almost immediately and never returned. I was straining my eyes to read and didn't notice that I was. The eye muscles from what I have read are very weak muscles. Lack of rest and sleep can cause this too.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:23 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was working, I had such eye twitches (upper and lower). Sometimes it gets so bad, I just put a finger on it so that it is not so obvious in meetings. It was mainly due to stress and eye fatique. The longest it stayed for was like 2 weeks. Since I retired (coming to 2 years), I've only had eye twitch once (lasted a few days). I know it was eye fatique (was playing too many games using my smartphone)! I have since stayed away from playing games on my phone. I find that using both palms to palm my eyes for a couple of minutes bring a lot of relief and relaxation.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

easysurfer, have you recently started or increased dosage of any supplements or medications?

Pete
psweath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psweath View Post
easysurfer, have you recently started or increased dosage of any supplements or medications?

Pete
No. I don't do either. Medicine and supplement free. Thx for asking.