Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry to read this. Take care.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I'm sorry to hear of the diagnosis. A Gleason of 3+3 has excellent prognosis and the 3+4 is only very slightly worse.

The most excellent thing is that your caught it.

Going to Sloan for treatment is fantastic. My DH was diagnosed 4 years ago (PSA went from 1.2 to 2.4 in three months !) and is now great with PSA readings of 0.00.

Hang in there. I know what you're going through. Soon you will be in Hawaii !

What caused your DH to get another PSA test within 3 months of the first one. Was he feeling other symptoms? I am asking because the test is usually done yearly.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Certainly the worst news and best news,

Worst that this has happened to you, Best (weakly said) that you know, and take measures. Those who don't are at great risk.

Best to you & your family !

Editorial: I wish all money spent on Ethanol, Wind-Solar Energy, Electrical cars was directed to conquering cancer.
Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about the diagnosis. Sounds like you're in good hands. Take care, research, and heed the advice of your clinicians.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
What caused your DH to get another PSA test within 3 months of the first one. Was he feeling other symptoms? I am asking because the test is usually done yearly.
Lucky coincidence. He started a Statin and his doctor ordered bloodtests to check for liver functions; he threw the PSA test on there out of habit.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #26

mystang, sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Just happens that I played golf today with two guys that had prostate cancer. They are just going about their normal lives. Also, last fall my brother was diagnosed with PC and he went through the surgery using the Davinci robotic method. Three days and he was up and about. No chemo. Best of luck to you.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Davinci Robot
Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

The Davinci Robot

Is the cat's meow. I attend a head and neck cancer survivor group and had occasion to see a doctor demonstrate this thing as it pertains to HN cancer. If it is an option for you do not hesitate or question it's effectiveness. I'm sorry for your diagnosis. Don't take any type of cancer lightly, let a tumor Board evaluate and recommend a suitable plan of action. Sloan is world known for HN cancer treatment BTW, a great place to be.
ratface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #28

So sorry to hear that you have PC, but I am so glad that you are going to such a good medical institution. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Grasshopper. Good luck to you also.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Yeah... fear and depression... the very toughest parts. After the consult, the uncertainty is gone, and it's easier to deal with. Time for the shock to wear off, and more familiarity with the options helps.

I recall my own colon cancer... unexpected in 1989, which led to the decision to retire early. Not a pleasant time, but a c section, over and done and cancer free now, for 24 years.

Then, a year later, a 29 PSA led to urgent biopsies (12), with negative results ... (bad PSA reading). At the time... 1990, PSA testing was still in its infancy (approved in 1986), and there was great uncertainty and division among doctors as to treatment. A week of waiting builds anxiety, and the biopsy punches (needles) left memories. Even this procedure has now improved, thank goodness.

On the leukemia part... My next door neighbor just turned 80 and has been living with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia for almost 20 years.

Its ugly stuff no matter what, but we deal with it, and life goes on.
Best wishes for a good outcome... Hopefully this will just end up as a blip on the memory, many years from now.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #30

Sorry to hear of the diagnosis but you'll be fine at Sloan. I do not advocate watchful waiting due to my dad's pc. Doc in his case diagnosed cancer in 3 of 9 cores (17 years ago) and was told it was a mild form, not aggressive form. He opted for the surgery, which took place three months after the biopsy was taken. In that short period of time, a cancer that was not supposed to be aggressive had fully overtaken his prostate. Thankfully it had not breached the prostatic shell, which, after the surgery, the doc indicated would have happened given the rapid progression of the disease. You know this already, but C is not to be taken lightly, and since you are young it is best to treat early and aggressively. If you were 80 or 85, watchful waiting may be a course of action, but based on what I saw in dad's situation, I would treat it aggressively if in my 50's or 60s.

Not medical advice, just my opinion based on family experience. Dad, by the way, had RP and while he has had some issues related to the RP, he is cancer free, alive, and still pretty active for age 77.

R
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #31

Update

UPDATE - Just in case anyone is curious:
Had prostatectomy May 31. Cancer confined to the prostate, no spread. My recovery has been excellent, and the "usual" post-op effects have been minimal to non-existent. I resumed running and swimming 5 weeks post-op, and this past weekend resumed cycling. As long as training goes well, I expect to do a sprint Triathlon on September 8.
Didn't do that Hawaii vacation, but had a glorious time in Fort Lauderdale instead. And, along the way continue to really love the ER lifestyle!
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #32

That's excellent news! It sounds like you'll be enjoying life for many more years.

Coach
Old 08-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #33
Administrator

Good news indeed.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great news! For you, of course, but also a good story for those who get the cancer in the future. Thanks for reporting back on this.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #35

That's good news! May you enjoy many more retirement years in good health.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

All right!

Congratulations on your speedy recovery.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #37

Great news!
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Great to hear! And congratulations!
chilkoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah baby....great news!
Old 08-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #40

Good news all around, glad to hear that surgery went well and you are back to your active life.

I had my results from Julys PSA test, with a sugar free diet, weight loss, and a bit higher exercise level. Drum roll please, my PSA went from 4.5 to 2.8, doc says DRE suggests a little shrinkage of my prostate. I will continue active surveillance.