Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Concerning the electric blanket idea: Did the doc think it was the sudden change in temperature? Not the electric field, right?

It can get just as warm under a heavy comforter -- maybe you should keep the room warmer?

I'd recommend getting your bedroom and bathroom carpeted, and choose a thick pad underneath.

Also, can you learn to recognize the signs of an impending episode?

I've passed out about 4-5 times in my life, almost all occurring when sick. Last one happened on a gig -- I did a slow meltdown onto the keyboard.
Theory is elevated body temperature from electric blanket + dehydration, not EMF. Scary part was that there was no warning before I hit the floor - no chance to grab something or even slump rather than keel forward. Good suggestions on carpet, the corners on sink, and furniture scare me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Glad you are OK and that no serious causes were found. But I must admit that the electric blanket theory sounds like a bit of a stretch (it's always nice to attach some kind of explanation when no cause is found).

I posted a bit about syncope here a few weeks ago - might find it of interest. After prolonged lying-down, some people get orthostatic syncope. Maybe that is playing a role. Bottom line is that you're OK and the usual potentially important causes have been excluded. Your solution shows good common sense: get up in stages lasting a minute or two each: sit up, then dangle, then stand and get settled, then walk.
Thanks for the link Rich. I had read it with interest when first posted.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
And... the cello player asked for a raise.
You should have offered to show him your snakebite pictures instead.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
You should have offered to show him your snakebite pictures instead.
She probably wouldn't be interested. :confused:
Old 01-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sounds like an interesting experiment! What's the worst that could happen-- a demand for a second raise?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My DW has low blood pressure. She is prone to slight fainting spells (does not completely black out) when she gets up real quickly. Not all the time and we can't figure out when it will happen. She has been advised to do what Rich said... get up slowly in stages. She forgets so every 6 months or so she has another instance where she gets up quickly and has to knee down momentarily.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
sit up, then dangle, then stand and get settled, then walk.
Thanks Rich, I must remember to take time and dangle when getting out of bed

Seriously, very interesting thread, thank you all for posting. A 60 yr old friend of mine had a nasty fall when he passed out while having a pee in the middle of the night. He now sits down to pee at all times, and his wife says that also reduces her time cleaning the toilet
Old 01-03-2008, 11:13 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oooh! More GIS on the way!!!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
My DW has low blood pressure. She is prone to slight fainting spells (does not completely black out) when she gets up real quickly. Not all the time and we can't figure out when it will happen. She has been advised to do what Rich said... get up slowly in stages. She forgets so every 6 months or so she has another instance where she gets up quickly and has to knee down momentarily.
I have had the same problem all of my life. I was told when I was 12 or 13 that it was due to low BP and growing too fast, though the problem has persisted for many years and my BP is about 132/72 now that I am approaching 60. I have done what Rich said for the past 45 years and it works for me very nicely.

Sitting and dangling becomes a habit and I just can't imagine bolting from my bed in the middle of the night like I did in my early teens. If/when I have done that (just a couple of times due to extreme digestive upsets), I faint. Personally I think sitting and dangling for 10-20 seconds might not be a bad idea for most people, even if they don't faint. It gives your body a little time to adjust to the change in position. Springing out of bed from a sound sleep and walking immediately has got to be a big challenge to one's circulatory system.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Sitting and dangling becomes a habit and I just can't imagine bolting from my bed in the middle of the night like I did in my early teens. If/when I have done that (just a couple of times due to extreme digestive upsets), I faint. Personally I think sitting and dangling for 10-20 seconds might not be a bad idea for most people, even if they don't faint. It gives your body a little time to adjust to the change in position. Springing out of bed from a sound sleep and walking immediately has got to be a big challenge to one's circulatory system.
It is also something I was told to do after my lower back surgery 18 years ago, and to do it for the rest of my life. Roll onto your side, swing your legs off the bed and wait a few seconds, may be even a gentle stretch or 3 to warm the muscles.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Roll onto your side, swing your legs off the bed and wait a few seconds, may be even a gentle stretch or 3 to warm the muscles.
Forget anything about fainting, that routine just sounds like it might feel good, kind of like a cat stretching.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

If this happens suddenly and always when you have just stood up, there's a good chance that you have postural hypotension (which happens when blood pools in your veins while lying down, and your autonomic nervous system isn't up to the job of squeezing them to attention when you suddenly assume the vertical position).

However, there might be a few other clues:

First time, you were rolling your head. Could you have inadvertently stretched, or otherwise obstructed, blood flow in the basilar artery Basilar artery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (which is the principal blood supply to the back of your brain)?

A related, but less likely possibility is that you have some atherosclerosis in one of the arteries supplying the brain and that this was a TIA (transient ischemic attack). Transient ischemic attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I'm glad you are getting your cardiac rhythm evaluated. Meanwhile, all the practical advice is recommended!

Meadbh

(disclaimer: I'm just a pediatrician)
Old 01-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #32

I find this thread very useful. There have been a few times when I get up and I am on my way to the bathroom, that I have felt lightheaded and had to stop for a couple of seconds to steady myself. My blood pressure runs low. I will make sure that I sit up for a couple of seconds before I start walking from now on. Boy, the things that you can learn on this site!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I find this thread very useful. There have been a few times when I get up and I am on my way to the bathroom, that I have felt lightheaded and had to stop for a couple of seconds to steady myself. My blood pressure runs low. I will make sure that I sit up for a couple of seconds before I start walking from now on. Boy, the things that you can learn on this site!
Good isn't it? Even when it is the same advice - before either leaping out of bed/buying that stock/signing up for insurance .... wait a moment and think about it
Tall and fainting
Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Tall and fainting

When younger, I used to faint fairly regularly. I'm 6' 8" and upong getting up from a chair or bed, I'd take a few steps and fall (usually face forward), as my heart couldn't pump enough blood to my brain to prevent it. I had to learn to get upright & moving in stages.

That pretty much meant no sports.

The same pattern got me dismissed from the Aikido Dojo. That martial art requires a lot of falling, rolling, and bounding back up. I could fall, but I'd get back up and instantly black out. Bye-bye martial arts.

Now that I'm an old fart, it nearly never happens.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #35

I find this thread interesting. As a young person I would frequently get dizzy by standing up quickly. It seems to have went away with age. Maybe Im not as spry as I once was and get up alot slower
Old 01-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post

Dreamer, I had this same experience a month or so before I fell the first time. I have come to the conclusion that I was on the ragged edge and other added factors (hot electric blanket, dehydration) put me in danger when I stood up quickly.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I find this thread interesting. As a young person I would frequently get dizzy by standing up quickly. It seems to have went away with age. Maybe Im not as spry as I once was and get up alot slower
It has become a lot less frequent for me, but it will still happen if I jump out of bed and run towards the bathroom in the middle of the night (which is why it only happens with extreme digestive upsets for me, now).

Overall, it's not even an inconvenience, normally. I like sitting on the bed anyway for a few seconds before standing, because it allows my dreams to recede so that I don't find myself borderline sleepwalking and running into things (ouch!).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterGuy View Post
When younger, I used to faint fairly regularly. I'm 6' 8" and upong getting up from a chair or bed, I'd take a few steps and fall (usually face forward), as my heart couldn't pump enough blood to my brain to prevent it. I had to learn to get upright & moving in stages.

That pretty much meant no sports.

The same pattern got me dismissed from the Aikido Dojo. That martial art requires a lot of falling, rolling, and bounding back up. I could fall, but I'd get back up and instantly black out. Bye-bye martial arts.

Now that I'm an old fart, it nearly never happens.
Q: Why do giraffes not have this problem?
After all, its a long way up for the blood to go!
A: Because they develop hypertension instead!
Old 01-05-2008, 02:04 AM   #39

This 'dangling' sounds so 'sensual'... hmmm where's my DW?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:30 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Oh, one more thing....

Another reason could be an atonic seizures, also known as drop attacks. Atonic seizure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This most commonly begins in childhood.