Join Early Retirement Today

Fainted Last Night
Old 11-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fainted Last Night

Last night I fainted and fell, but after researching it on the internet, I think it is nothing serious. I'm throwing this post out there in case anyone has some insight that would indicate a more serious follow up is warranted.

Last night I was doing a middle of the night bathroom run. Still half asleep and feeling stiff, I decided to stretch a bit by doing a couple of toe touches and a head roll. I had finished the toe touches and just started the head roll, when I dropped like a ton of bricks. My thought is that the fainting was caused by the rapid change in elevation of my head, exacerbated by the pit stop.

My blood pressure is a steady 120/70 and I had a full stress test 2 years ago.

TIA
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not a doctor but it sounds like your abrupt up and down while nearly asleep is all we're talking about.

Are you taking any medication? I believe an ace inhibitor would make the scenario you just described more likely.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
I'm not a doctor but it sounds like your abrupt up and down while nearly asleep is all we're talking about.

Are you taking any medication? I believe an ace inhibitor would make the scenario you just described more likely.

The only medication I take is Clariton D for allergies.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #4

A friend of mine was a diabetic and fainted from low blood sugar in a Home Depot. He hit his head on the concrete floor and died a few hours later from the blow to the head. He was about 52 - 53 years old. I was shocked that a fall from less than six feet could kill a person.

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
A friend of mine was a diabetic and fainted from low blood sugar in a Home Depot. He hit his head on the concrete floor and died a few hours later from the blow to the head. He was about 52 - 53 years old. I was shocked that a fall from less than six feet could kill a person.

Mike D.
Ouch, that is really sad. Fortunately I fell without hurting myself, but I can see where something much more serious could happen.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That happened to my Dad back sometime around 1996. Got up in the night to go tinkle, and fainted. He was out like a light! An ambulance carted hime to the hospital ER, and while they were checking him he came to. Since he had been 'out', he had NO idea where he was or what the heck was going on. He was looking to get out of there.....fast! They had to put restraints on him, until they could get us there from the waiting room. Once we explained what happened, he calmed down.

They kept him over night, ran a load of tests, and finally determined that he had simply fainted. Never had anything like that happen again!

I also had a friend that the same thing happened to while aboard an Amtrak train in the middle of the night on his way to the west coast. He came to in a hospital ER in Arizona. He said that freaked him out a bit. He'd gotten up to go to the restroom, but fainted enroute. 2 days in the hospital, a battery of tests, and the conclusion was that he fainted. Had follow up test done after returning home, and nothing unusual was found.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Something very similar happened to me when I was 15 or so. I was on vacation and after I woke I went to use the bathroom. I peed and remember reaching to flush the toilet and the next thing I know, I am waking up on the bathroom floor. There was a doctor in the family on vacation with us who said that it was nerve misfiring or something like that. Said it was common in teen boys during puberty.
RedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpatt View Post
Said it was common in teen boys during puberty.
Travelover,
Just how EARLY retired are you?
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Travelover,
Just how EARLY retired are you?
I think puberty was about 40 years ago for me, give or take.
Update
Old 01-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Update

I'm updating this thread to share my experiences in hopes of helping others.

3 weeks after I posted originally, I had another episode of fainting in the middle of the night and did a full face plant on a hardwood floor. Black eye, split open forehead, injured wrists - not pretty.

I had a full spectrum of tests including a 24 hour Holter monitor which all indicated that I am in great shape. It appears that the cause for fainting was use of an electric blanket. The room was cold and I had my blanket side on a high setting. The combination of high body temperature and dehydration, with rapidly standing up seems to be the best explanation.

So given the severe dangers of falling suddenly, I've gone to a down comforter, am fully awakening myself and flexing my legs to ensure adequate circulation before standing (slowly). This sounds kind of pathetic for a 55 year old in good health, but the last fall really got my attention.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There was a doctor in the family on vacation with us who said that it was nerve misfiring or something like that. Said it was common in teen boys during puberty.
Interesting...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #12

Travelover, thanks for the update and glad to hear you're in great shape. Sorry you had to forfeit the blanket.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've fainted before, when taking antihistamines and being dehydrated. It is more common in teenagers (I was 18 at the time). Glad you figured yours out not to be something serious!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #14

I'd see a doctor just to confirm that these feinting spells wont happen while you are driving..
Old 01-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it was nerve misfiring or something like that. Said it was common in teen boys during puberty.
Hmm, theres a joke in there somewhere...now...what could it be?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd see a doctor just to confirm that these feinting spells wont happen while you are driving..
Yes, that was why I updated this. Initially I did not see a Doc and it reoccurred, resulting in some nasty injuries from a second fall. Lesson learned, see a Doc.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
So given the severe dangers of falling suddenly, I've gone to a down comforter, am fully awakening myself and flexing my legs to ensure adequate circulation before standing (slowly). This sounds kind of pathetic for a 55 year old in good health, but the last fall really got my attention.
I would hope so. Similar circumstances to what you describe are what killed my mother nine years ago. She was 85 at the time and did have some other health issues that made her unsteady on her feet. She fell, hit her head on the corner of a nightstand, and died 12 hours later.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Concerning the electric blanket idea: Did the doc think it was the sudden change in temperature? Not the electric field, right?

It can get just as warm under a heavy comforter -- maybe you should keep the room warmer?

I'd recommend getting your bedroom and bathroom carpeted, and choose a thick pad underneath.

Also, can you learn to recognize the signs of an impending episode?

I've passed out about 4-5 times in my life, almost all occurring when sick. Last one happened on a gig -- I did a slow meltdown onto the keyboard.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Concerning the electric blanket idea: Did the doc think it was the sudden change in temperature? Not the electric field, right?
Glad you are OK and that no serious causes were found. But I must admit that the electric blanket theory sounds like a bit of a stretch (it's always nice to attach some kind of explanation when no cause is found).

I posted a bit about syncope here a few weeks ago - might find it of interest. After prolonged lying-down, some people get orthostatic syncope. Maybe that is playing a role. Bottom line is that you're OK and the usual potentially important causes have been excluded. Your solution shows good common sense: get up in stages lasting a minute or two each: sit up, then dangle, then stand and get settled, then walk.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've passed out about 4-5 times in my life, almost all occurring when sick. Last one happened on a gig -- I did a slow meltdown onto the keyboard.

I have also had this happen at a show - only once. We were playing outside in 104 degree weather. The second set did me in. Fortunately I landed on my cello player... and didn't really hit the deck hard. Just sort of slowly oozed down. Highly embarrassing.

And... the cello player asked for a raise.