Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Good idea meierlde. There should be technology out there now that could do this.
In my above instance my wife and her sister check on her every couple days. Also her nephew lives next door and checks on her also.
Actually you could do it with a Raspberry Pi which has a motion sensor device (the computer runs about $100 full equiped). Essentially the motion detector would reset a timer every time motion was detected. The systems can be networked with wifi. The motion detector looks for a heat source and sends a signal to the computer when a heat source is found.
I am really suprised no alarm company which has all the tech has yet put this together. Alarm.com has pieces of the tech, such as motion detectors, bed sensors etc.
In the full idea you would monitor activity in the kitchen such that if no one entered there for say a day (a changeable time limit) an alarm as well as the bathrooms. It is is likley that the Japanese may have such tech but it has not made it here yet since they have a bigger problem with older folks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 11:37 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleana View Post
Well, of course not, but neither do the other devices. You have to be conscious and have use of your arms/hands to even press a button or dial a phone.
No, the one mentioned would sense a fall and do something.... what people responded to was if it would do something when it should not...

This seems like the best option, but IIRC it was connected to a smart phone... since mom would never know how to use one it is not for her... if there was one that would work with normal phone or some other device then it might be good for her...

Another problem we have with my mom is that sometimes she fails to hang up the phone... I have had to go to her place and hang up two handsets that had been on for 8 hours.... so the device would need to be able to handle that situation also....

Old 01-08-2016, 12:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
No, the one mentioned would sense a fall and do something.... what people responded to was if it would do something when it should not...

This seems like the best option, but IIRC it was connected to a smart phone... since mom would never know how to use one it is not for her... if there was one that would work with normal phone or some other device then it might be good for her...

Another problem we have with my mom is that sometimes she fails to hang up the phone... I have had to go to her place and hang up two handsets that had been on for 8 hours.... so the device would need to be able to handle that situation also....
It looks like at least one device includes a cellphone (greatcall splash). Since cell phones now fit on wrist watches it would be no problem to put the guts of one in a pendant, thus eliminating the need for any real cell phone or land line. Now if the device includes an accelerometer and a gps accurate down to the foot level, it could alarm if the device while being worn does not move more that x feet in y hours.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
It looks like at least one device includes a cellphone (greatcall splash). Since cell phones now fit on wrist watches it would be no problem to put the guts of one in a pendant, thus eliminating the need for any real cell phone or land line. Now if the device includes an accelerometer and a gps accurate down to the foot level, it could alarm if the device while being worn does not move more that x feet in y hours.

This is an accurate description of the Phillips medical alert device we set up our MIL with. It will alert the call center on any fall, in or out of the house, provide GPS location, and the monitoring service will try to contact her through the built in speaker and microphone. This particular device uses the ATT network outside the home and WiFi in the home.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #25

Perhaps Amazon could develop a wearable app for falling or remaining motionless for an hour that communicates with Echo. They seem to be jumping on board the "subscription" bandwagon already.