Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #21
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I've read that it isn't so much how much fat you have but internal (visceral) fat
around the organs that is the real danger.

Thin people might be fat on the inside - Health - Fitness | NBC News

Well, I almost killed myself today working out on a manual treadmill That may be an over exaggeration, but pushing things a little too hard, I was starting to feel faint
From the linked article:

The good news is that internal fat can be easily burned off through exercise or even by improving your diet. “Even if you don’t see it on your bathroom scale, caloric restriction and physical exercise have an aggressive effect on visceral fat,” said Dr. Bob Ross, an obesity expert at Queen’s University in Canada.
Back in the 80's we used to watch a program called "Your Life in Their Hands" which was a documentary series showing actual surgeries, commentated by another surgeon looking on. One time they were operating on a man who had had a heart attack and in the footage they showed of him prior to surgery he did not look fat at all, but when they opened up his chest cavity the surgeon pointed out the thick layer of fat surrounding the heart. That was the first time I realized that there was more to fat than what the eye can see.

Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Having worked for 15 years as a nurse in a hospital I think how this report has been reported in the press is seriously flawed. All you have to do is go from one room to the next in a hospital to see how many of the patients are obese. On the orthopedic floor where I worked there were 22 rooms. On some nights every one of our patients was obese.

CW4, USA-(ret)
RN, BSN-(ret)
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote