Join Early Retirement Today

Fat Warriors Take Another Hit
Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fat Warriors Take Another Hit

Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease -- Siri-Tarino et al., 10.3945/ajcn.2009.27725 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Pass the Bacon !
Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pass the Bacon !

Ah Contraire HaHa:

<From the article>
Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Disclaimer: I'm not a scientist... I've been on the Atkins Diet eating virtually no carbs and eating a lot of dietary fat. My blood work is always better when on the diet. I think there's way more to it than what you eat = more cholesterol in your blood.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...Supported by the National Dairy Council...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Ah Contraire HaHa:

<From the article>
Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.
I don't understand your point. It seems just what the study suggests- fat is a non factor in heart disease and stroke.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #6

HaHa:

Oh my mistake, I assumed that your thread lead-off title was suggesting the opposite.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
Administrator

I can see it now - - - the BACON diet!

"I'd like some bacon with my bacon, please, and sprinkle that with with bacon bits and lots of bacon dressing."

Next they'll be telling us that treadmill time is bad for the heart.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nice pick-up, Ha.

There is biologic plausibility for that study's conclusions, and it seems to be reasonably well done. You could postulate that when fat intake is reduced, carb intake rises disproportionately in the typical North American diet, and they (carbs) are the culprit. By eating more fat you eat less carbs.

I was slow to adopt the carb theory at first, kind of brainwashed by decades of incorrect theory and research. But I now give it credibility.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

"I'd like some bacon with my bacon, please, and sprinkle that with with bacon bits and lots of bacon dressing."

As CFB might say, "Broccoli - the silent killer"...

Old 01-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Oh, but I have read that! Too much exercise is also a bad stressor. Remember all those marathoners that dropped dead of heart attacks?

We probably are designed to eat meat, veggies, some fruits, walk a lot, carry/move heavy things and sprint really hard now and then. Your basic caveman lifestyle.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #11

They need a new study on what saturated fat does to the pancreas. I'd really like to know. No more high saturated fat from this gal.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #12

Quote:

About 10 years ago, SO went on the Atkins diet. I couldn't believe what I witnessed him eating. My joke was "I'll have some cheese with a side of cheese, please". It never looked like a healthy diet to me, but he did lose weight.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll buy it. Now, time for a hot dog and med.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
About 10 years ago, SO went on the Atkins diet. I couldn't believe what I witnessed him eating. My joke was "I'll have some cheese with a side of cheese, please". It never looked like a healthy diet to me, but he did lose weight.
When I first went on the Atkins diet in 2002, I had blood work done just before it. I had blood work done during it. I forget what the changes were, but basically it improved my various cholesterol tests. It certainly feels bizarre, but with all that dietary fat, I'm not hungry as I am on a low-calorie/low-fat diet to lose weight.

I've lost 10 pounds since early December (with time out for New Year's parties when I went off the diet). The only thing is I really love bread :-) But that's a small sacrifice to lose weight.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #15

The results of the new study don't surprise me, and when DW or I have dieted it has always been to reduce calories with an aim to lose weight. I think that the fat you carry around your chest and belly is a lot more important than the fat you consume.

Growing up we ate HUGE amounts of saturated fat - "dripping" sandwiches and the like were very common, and we could only afford the cheapest fattiest cuts of meat. However, despite the high fat diet we were skinny and my Dad never changed his high fat diet his entire life but was always skinny and died at 84. (It was the cigarettes that eventually did for him )
Old 01-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Sooo- Jimmy Johns or a cheeseburger and fries - ya got me in the mood.

I ate mixed veggies/drank Fusion/bana/orange - and muti vitamin. ok ok so so I woke up hungry at 2 am - Munster cheese/original Saltines at least with diet iced tea.

So who makes the best high fat cheeseburger - I'm ready.

heh heh heh - memories of Mother's, Lee's Hamburger(Slidell), Sirloin burgerSouth Side(Slidell) and New Orleans Hamburger and Seafood Company are floating through my mind. .
Old 01-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Deleted

Old 01-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
So who makes the best high fat cheeseburger - I'm ready.
This has to rate up there:

Clearfield, Pennsylvania - World's Largest Hamburger
I knew Denny's Beer Barrel Pub would not let Fudruckers hold the World's Largest Hamburger record for long... Denny's is still the Hamburger Capital of the World. Their new 50 pound burger is a permanent addition to their menu and a heck of a deal at $179 and change. [David Waters, 09/03/2006]
Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

While I post this the History channel (local cable) remarked that last year 23 orders of cheeseburger/fries were sold for every man woman and child in America.

Is this a great country or what?

heh heh heh - nuts and twigs still have long row to hoe. Money talks/B.S. walks - speaking drippy fat juicy cheeseburger wise. . Reading good is one thing - eating good has perhaps a different twist. After my Dec physical - Berkley Lab sent me my 'diet package' and an on-line 'coach' starting Feb 1 - I'll chat with them while I'm eating my John Wayne 'Duke Burger'.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

My tango partner is Swedish. Recently a Swedish friend of hers lost her husband and not long after hooked up with her old high school flame. This guy had become very fat (I guess there are fat Swedes too) and he went on a hi-fat, lo-carb eating plan. Uffe Ravnskov, a Swedish MD promotes this diet. Anyway this older man who apparently had become pretty fat, has lost 40 kilos and his weight loss continues. His success may have earned him a new love.

Ha