Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
They don't have to completely end or repeal anything. just "tweek" it. Give everybody a $1500.00 voucher and remove the requirement to cover existing conditions. Sounds draconian. And that'll do. I am not assuming the floor will cave in but I do expect the attempt.
But again, you're assuming that some consensus would be reached on a tweak with today's Congress. There is no consensus within the repeal side of the debate on what to replace it with.

Basically I look at this just like what happened with Medicare and SS - yes there's a lot of initial blowback and attempts at repeal/reform for the first few years but in the end what you see is basically what you get. Entrenched entitlements at this scale are VERY hard to dislodge.

Not to mention that there are more and more states that initially decided not to expand Medicaid that now realize it was bad business to turn down all that fed money when rural hospitals start closing. My state is a perfect example.

With the ACA I am much more concerned about restricted networks/coverage, limited exchange markets and pricing over time than I am with repeal.
GTFan is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
But again, you're assuming that some consensus would be reached on a tweak with today's Congress. There is no consensus within the repeal side of the debate on what to replace it with.
Ney ney. I am assuming the attempt with a future, enhanced GOP (Sorry to get political here, but it can't be helped) congress and/or a GOP White House. With "today's" anything we just stay where we are.

Quote:
Basically I look at this just like what happened with Medicare and SS - yes there's a lot of initial blowback and attempts at repeal/reform for the first few years but in the end what you see is basically what you get. Entrenched entitlements at this scale are VERY hard to dislodge.

Not to mention that there are more and more states that initially decided not to expand Medicaid that now realize it was bad business to turn down all that fed money when rural hospitals start closing. My state is a perfect example.
Doesn't mean they won't still try to kill it. They'll just have to pace themselves. If at first you don't succeed....

And by da way... they are still trying to kill SS and medicare. But they know they can't just push a button and make it go away. So they keep trying these "boil the frog" tactics. I am sorry but it permeates everything they say they stand for. If they could kill them they would. The end. We all know it.

Quote:
With the ACA I am much more concerned about restricted networks/coverage, limited exchange markets and pricing over time than I am with repeal.
Hey if it becomes sufficiently restricted it effectively kills it for those people. Just like the previous "system".
razztazz is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #103
Administrator

Closed Thread