Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is my fear (the sunshine skyway bridge ) . I do drive on it if absolutely necessary but otherwise I avoid it like the black plague . It scares the crap out of me .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skyline%20Bridge.jpg (96.5 KB, 5 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
This is my fear (the sunshine skyway bridge ) . I do drive on it if absolutely necessary but otherwise I avoid it like the black plague . It scares the crap out of me .

My FIL, who used the bridge on occasion, told me once that fairly frequently people have to be "talked through" driving the bridge. Sometimes people get part of the way over the middle span and just can't go any further.

I drove over it a couple of times. It is disconcerting to go up and up like you are going to go off the top edge. Gives me a bit of the willies but not enough to have avoided the bridge.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
....Then after a flight, her luggage broke open on the carousel, and people saw her underwear.
One of my "clean out the closet" techniques is to take my oldest undies on a trip and throw them out as I go along.
-----
I have a problem when seeing no visible support under me. That FL bridge would do it. I donít panic but yes, talking myself through it is very effective. I sometimes go up, or worse, down this staircase either because thatís where I want to go and as a desensitizing attempt. It can be embarrassing because I hang on to both railings. People come along and are very kind; they say the stairs in next block are scarier. But look, Iím not alone, there is a warning on a staircase!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4350.jpg (761.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #64
Administrator

I had to drive over the Sunshine Skyway bridge unexpectedly when I was flown out there for a job interview years ago. I had no idea what I was getting myself into but was just trying to get to the hotel. The map said nothing like "incredibly scary, high bridge!" on it.

I didn't like it one bit! But you've got to do what you've got to do. I was utterly terrified but made it to the other side.

One time when driving west over the big "New Bridge" over the Mississippi in Baton Rouge on I-10, I was stopped by traffic. There had been an accident, and I was stuck right at the top for over a half hour. That was really scary, too. I could feel the bridge flexing up and down with the wind, and with the traffic going the other way. It did not feel one bit solid. All I could think of was, "Why, oh why did I do this?"

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
My FIL, who used the bridge on occasion, told me once that fairly frequently people have to be "talked through" driving the bridge. Sometimes people get part of the way over the middle span and just can't go any further.

I drove over it a couple of times. It is disconcerting to go up and up like you are going to go off the top edge. Gives me a bit of the willies but not enough to have avoided the bridge.
The weird thing is it does not bother me as much going from sarasota to St. Pete because you hit the awful part quickly and then it is done . I can not drive it from St.Pete to Sarasota because you see the awful part coming for awhile before you get to it and by then I am in a panic mode . Even going over it when my SO drives I close my eyes for the top part . The reason the bridge is this high is because the old bridge was hit by a freighter . It knocked out a section and a lot of people drove off the bridge and died .
Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's a lot of fun on a motorcycle. If you are not too busy covering your eyes and screaming, the view is gorgeous.

There are two huge fishing piers at either side of the bridge where people have caught almost anything including tarpon, grouper, sharks.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yet it's the undramatic Minnesota bridges that are deadly.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

There is a bridge In California on the Pacific coast highway that just extends out from the mountain so it looks like nothing is supporting it . I drove over this once at the end of the bridge my husband had to peel my hands off the steering wheel and give me a paper bag because I was having a panic attack . The Pacific coast highway is breathtaking but scary .
Old 10-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yet it's the undramatic Minnesota bridges that are deadly.
I can't even guess how many times I went over that bridge before its collapse. The last time was only a few days before the collapse. Friends of mine had just driven under the bridge on river road minutes before the failure. I course we never gave it a second thought. Now I drive over the new bridge and after the first couple of crosses I don't think about the collapse anymore.

In contrast, I have gone over the San Francisco Bay bridge a few times and get the willies thinking about earthquakes.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

In contrast, I have gone over the San Francisco Bay bridge a few times and get the willies thinking about earthquakes.
Reminds me of an old friend when she wanted to go from SF to Oakland, was terrified going though the BART tunnel. Somehow she calmed down when I told to think of it as a train. I knew she loved trains and moving slowly in general.

Any distraction might help. Seems to me on planes, there is a distraction every few seconds. Coffee cart coming, peanuts being thrown at passengers, ear phones, movies, and on and on.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Some years ago I was assaulted on a bus while seated in a window seat, surrounded by five or six large delinquents, one of whom sat next to me in the aisle seat and leaned against me. Long story but eventually he said, "I'm tired of leaning on you" and he and the others got off the bus. I've always had some claustrophobia but that event created a problem for many years.
Sorry to hear about this, CJ. Reminded me of the case of Bernhard Goetz. How I would love to be a juror in his case, just to do the same that the actual jury did: found him not guilty of all charges except an illegal firearms possession count.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Sorry to hear about this, CJ. Reminded me of the case of Bernhard Goetz. How I would love to be a juror in his case, just to do the same that the actual jury did: found him not guilty of all charges except an illegal firearms possession count.
Thanks, NW-B. In an unrelated incident SO and I were on a bus. Bunch of teens got on dressed like they just came from Sunday School. One of them stole a bag from SO, (bag contained mainly photos and some clothes). It was literally a rip-off, SO threw the bag handle in the gutter in disgust a few blocks later. One kid ran straight into a plain clothes cop who ran him down and made an example of him. Kid made a deal on the morning it was to go to trial so we didn't have to testify. After SO moved out of that neighborhood, we stopped riding those bus lines.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The reason the bridge is this high is because the old bridge was hit by a freighter . It knocked out a section and a lot of people drove off the bridge and died .

I was there in May, 1980 and I'll never forget it. DH and I were vacationing in Florida and stayed the night in St. Petersburg, planning to drive down to Naples the following morning. I remember reading the AAA guidebook and telling DH that he was going to have to drive over this bridge because it was really high and in sections you could see all the way to the water, which was terrifying to me. When we work up that morning, it was raining really hard and we decided to wait awhile before heading south. So instead of getting on the road at about 7 am, we drove around St. Pete and stopped for breakfast. While we were having our third or so cup of coffee, someone came in and said they heard on the radio that a freighter hit the Sunshine Skyway bridge. It was a real "do you remember where you were when?" moment and after watching some of the rescue efforts on tv, we decided not to even attempt to go south. Headed over to the Orlando area, but the whole sad experience clouded the vacation and we decided to cut it short and head back home. To this day, when I see a Greyhound bus on a bridge, I think of all those people who died when their bus went off that bridge.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #74

Airline travel is hours of boredom interrupted by moments of stark terror-AL BOLISKA.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
I was there in May, 1980 and I'll never forget it. DH and I were vacationing in Florida and stayed the night in St. Petersburg, planning to drive down to Naples the following morning. I remember reading the AAA guidebook and telling DH that he was going to have to drive over this bridge because it was really high and in sections you could see all the way to the water, which was terrifying to me. When we work up that morning, it was raining really hard and we decided to wait awhile before heading south. So instead of getting on the road at about 7 am, we drove around St. Pete and stopped for breakfast. While we were having our third or so cup of coffee, someone came in and said they heard on the radio that a freighter hit the Sunshine Skyway bridge. It was a real "do you remember where you were when?" moment and after watching some of the rescue efforts on tv, we decided not to even attempt to go south. Headed over to the Orlando area, but the whole sad experience clouded the vacation and we decided to cut it short and head back home. To this day, when I see a Greyhound bus on a bridge, I think of all those people who died when their bus went off that bridge.

It is really scary when you miss being involved in something tragic. I knew several people who survived 911 by being late for work or sick . My nephew was supposed to be on the plane from Newark that hit the towers but he changed for a later flight since they were travelling with a newborn .
Old 10-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a pilot

Quote:
I want to go to the Galapagos Islands. I want to go birding off of Antartica. I want to see my sister in California more than once a year. I want to visit my friends in NYC.

I wonder if the flight simulator might be helpful. You folks are talking me out of the try the small plane thing.
Martha, I'm in SoCal, not sure you are very close. But I'm a private pilot and would be willing to do a very short flight if you are in the area.

If not you could just fly here.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I had no idea I had mild claustrophobia until I tried to sleep in the lower bunk of a tiny cramped boat cabin. I couldn't stay there the first night. I eventually got used to it. I was in my early 40s - so it took a long time to discover this phobia.

I still get a bit of that creepy feeling if I need to get under a low crawl space - like when I was trying to help my husband find that thing under the car.

Audrey
I had no idea I was claustrophobic until I went for an MRI three weeks ago. I had difficulty breathing and I almost pushed the panic button they put in my hand but decided to overcome my fear and managed to get through it.

I'll go for the open MRI next time or close my eyes and go through my relaxation techniques earlier in the process.

BTW never had any fears of flying or being in a confined space.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
I had no idea I was claustrophobic until I went for an MRI three weeks ago. I had difficulty breathing and I almost pushed the panic button they put in my hand but decided to overcome my fear and managed to get through it.
FWIW, my patients (babies) just sleep like a baby and enjoy their MRIs. As I said to a baby's nervous mom last week: if he can have an MRI and enjoy it, you can!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy View Post
Martha, I'm in SoCal, not sure you are very close. But I'm a private pilot and would be willing to do a very short flight if you are in the area.

If not you could just fly here.
That's sweet. I am way up in Minnesota. But I am going to visit my sister in LA this winter sometime. Driving the good old MH.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now I drive over the new bridge and after the first couple of crosses I don't think about the collapse anymore.
I'm impressed by the height and view from the Bong bridge in your hometown Martha. How do you do driving over that one?