Fed Open Season

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have been drilling down on their offerings this year. Did anyone else notice that folks with Medicare can suspend participation if they enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan? I couldn't find any practical way to do that on the website and the Kaiser Perm. NW Medicare Advantage family plan for Feds is more expensive than GEHA so I will not pursue it. However, if each of us could enroll in the non-Fed Kaiser NW medicare Advantage plan it would be significantly cheaper.

IMHO the OPM Open Season website is not user friendly at all.

Brat,

I am shooting from the hip here, but IIRC, if you choose Advantage, you can't go back later.

Unrelated to your question, I gather that expats can opt-out altogether if they can show that they are participating in another plan and do not live in the US. I gather that they can return later and join without penalty.

But then again, I believe in Truth, Justice and the American Way.

My understanding of what I read online is that you can suspend participation, that implies that you can return, but the website page provided no information about how to do that.

Still several years away from medicare but my understanding is that you can suspend your FEHB and go back to it whenever you want.

I have had GEHA for years, and this year I am switching to their HDHP option so I can have a HSA (and get a tax break). My plan is to stay with the HDHP/HSA until medicare time (when you can no longer contribute to the HSA).

It is a little late now to make a judicious move but I will tee this up for next year.

Back
Top Bottom