Join Early Retirement Today

Feel like a pinball
Old 11-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Feel like a pinball

When I woke up this morning and stood up I started to fall over. All day I have been bouncing off the walls because my balance is all off. I could understand if I had been drinking but all I have had the last few days is my morning tea. I know it is an inner ear malfunction but I have never had this problem before. Moving or raising my head up to quickly makes me feel like I'm going to tip over even when I am sitting. I don't know what could have set this off or what to do about it other than go see a doctor on Monday.

Has anyone had this happen? Did it just go away or did you see a health provider?

I have to drive tomorrow so I hope it goes away on it's own.

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you have vertigo? As in the room spinning around as you change your head positions?

I have that (more precisely, Benign Positional Vertigo (BPV ) if I have too much sodium intake and get careless and don't drink enough water.

Hope you get better soon.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if you have an ear infection that is affecting your inner ear. Good idea to see your doctor on Monday. Not such a good idea to drive tomorrow, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My MIL recently had a bad case of vertigo and they found out it was actually a mini stroke. She is fine now, though - hope this doesn't apply to you.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I wonder if you have an ear infection that is affecting your inner ear. Good idea to see your doctor on Monday. Not such a good idea to drive tomorrow, though.
+1. Could be something pretty simple, and it might clear up on it's own. But I'd find out for sure on Monday if it's not gone by then (or sooner if it gets markedly worse), have someone drive you...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
When I woke up this morning and stood up I started to fall over. All day I have been bouncing off the walls because my balance is all off. I could understand if I had been drinking but all I have had the last few days is my morning tea. I know it is an inner ear malfunction but I have never had this problem before. Moving or raising my head up to quickly makes me feel like I'm going to tip over even when I am sitting. I don't know what could have set this off or what to do about it other than go see a doctor on Monday.

Has anyone had this happen? Did it just go away or did you see a health provider?

I have to drive tomorrow so I hope it goes away on it's own.

Cheers!
Both DH and I have had very occasional sudden bouts of vertigo. They went away on their own - usually in a matter of an hour or one time it took a few hours for me. Something is congested in your inner ear?
Old 11-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Several years ago, when I was a teenager, I had vertigo which lasted several days. OTOH I'm still stuck at home trying to recover from a stroke a few years ago, in which balance (in more forms than you might think of) seems to have taken the major hit. It feels like I'm moving like a drunk.

So my advice would be to get to a doctor ASAP and get some peace of mind. Don't wait for Monday.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilkoot View Post
Several years ago, when I was a teenager, I had vertigo which lasted several days. OTOH I'm still stuck at home trying to recover from a stroke a few years ago, in which balance (in more forms than you might think of) seems to have taken the major hit. It feels like I'm moving like a drunk.

So my advice would be to get to a doctor ASAP and get some peace of mind. Don't wait for Monday.
+1 This makes a lot of sense, Badger. Maybe you should go to the emergency room immediately. I think immediate treatment is pretty important if it is a stroke.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #9

In my case, it was Orthostatic Hypotension. It's a symptom of one of many hidden issues - minor stroke, ear infection, .... My doctor could not identify what is causing OH other than perhaps, I was suffering from stress (which I was). Anyway, it persisted and I went to a chiropractor based on a suggestion from one of my relatives. After about 6 - 8 sessions, the OH went away. I can't say for sure if the chiro sessions fixed the OH. It has been OK so far.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #10

Thanks for all the responses. It hasn't been quite as bad today with the room spinning or wobbling when I move my head. I guess I'll check with the doctor on Monday if it doesn't clear up. An ear infection i can deal with but I really don't like the idea of a mini stroke. I sure appreciate all your help.

Cheers!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #11

Badger, did this clear up?
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Badger, did this clear up?
It took a few days and slowly went away to where it's not as noticable this morning.

I'm still not entirely sure why it happened but I don't think it was due to a lack of anything in my diet with all that was consumed during the holidays. I didn't go to the doctor but the best I can come up with is something called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo that can come and go without any treatment. Some recommendations to reduce frequency are to limit salt, alcohol, caffeine and stress. The first three affect water balance in the body that could influence the semi-circular canal balance mechanism. This didn't apply since the way my balance was affected had more to do with a different inner ear balance mechanism that relies on calcium carbonate crystals. More simply put I had a "rock slide" in my inner ear. There is a simple proceedure called the Epley Maneuver that I may have inadvertently done and seems to help most of the time.

This type of vertigo appears to effect folks over 50 and may be the main cause of balance problems for many as they get older.

Thanks for asking. This is more than you wanted to know but may be helpful for others to keep in mind as we enjoy retirement.

Cheers!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
gone traveling

I've had this happen and attribute it to some fluid build in the ear. Sure there are possibly other causes, and if it recurrs too frequently or lasts more than a few days, I'd see a Dr.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote