Fidelity RIP 2018 methodology changes

DEC-1982

Full time employment: Posting here.
I asked Fidelity RIP to estimate our (2 person) medical expenses yesterday. I saw their estimate of (Medical+Dental+Vision) jumped from below $2100 at the beginning of the year to around $2750 now. I was definitely surprised. The jump was mainly due to medical insurance cost estimates ($1165 per person now).

I downloaded the methodology document, and saw they had dropped healthcare inflation rate to 4.9% (used to be 5.5% at the beginning of the year, and 7% in earlier years).

I should study their document more and see what else they changed in their methodology.

where did you find the "requested estimate" on the website? Is it built into their planner?

Yes just ran the calculator and agree they changed it to 4.9%. They also took it off the front page and replaced it with E Money which I am not interested in.

where did you find the "requested estimate" on the website? Is it built into their planner?

Yes, it's in the planner. There are two ways of entering expenses:

Option 1. 2 numbers, fixed and discretionary expenses

Option 2. detailed expense worksheet
Using option 2 allows for entering data in some detail. In the healthcare area, you can ask the system to come up with a healthcare cost estimate. That removes the need for us to put in separate expenses before medicare, after medicare, vision/dental, long term insurance etc This also allows the planner to have health care inflation different (4.9%) from overall inflation (2.5%).

I thought the healthcare cost increases were becoming more stable ie no more 25% jumps, so I was definitely surprised.

Back
Top Bottom