Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Filing for medicare while still working
Old 06-11-2015, 02:05 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Filing for medicare while still working

Can someone explain there experience of applying for Medicare while still working and receiving employer healthcare coverage. I would think that you'd only apply for Part A, but I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Generally you sign up for A/B at age 65 and pay 104.90/mo base premium for part B. But if you're working and covered under an employers group health plan, or you have coverage through a working spouse you can decline part B and sign up at a later point during a special enrollment period. Typically working folks don't sign up for B because it rarely gives additional value over what the employers group health plan. In all cases I've seen Medicare is second payer to your work insurance. Your actual benefit from having B in addition to work insurance is usually nil. You can file online for part A only.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
nate2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just helped my mom sign up for Medicare online. I was there "just in case" she needed backup. She was a little worried about signing up online. Very easy but a strange experience, they must have asked her if she was blind or if someone was helping her at least 3 times.
You have 7 months to sign up for Medicare at 65. You can sign up 3 months before 65, the month you turn 65 and 3 months after you turn 65. My mom's still working so she just did the Part A.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks folks for the informative responses! I feel much better about the 65/Part A only approach.😀

Old 06-12-2015, 12:26 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

My DH worked until 68 and had full insurance benefits so he did not sign up for Medicare at all until he retired. When he called Medicare they told him he already had Part A and sent him a backdated card. Who knew?

He was on my Federal BCBS insurance by that time instead of Part B so he didn't sign up for Part B until I left Federal employment. This was considered a qualifying event without penalty.

iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:40 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by iac1003 View Post
My DH worked until 68 and had full insurance benefits so he did not sign up for Medicare at all until he retired. When he called Medicare they told him he already had Part A and sent him a backdated card. Who knew?

He was on my Federal BCBS insurance by that time instead of Part B so he didn't sign up for Part B until I left Federal employment. This was considered a qualifying event without penalty.

Just curious, how did your DH get Part A without out applying for it? Does he already get social security?

Old 06-14-2015, 10:50 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

DH didn't file for SS until he retired at 68. They told him then that Medicare Part A was active and was automatically included. When he got the Medicare card it was backdated to his 65th birthday. His Medicare, even Part A, was secondary to my Federal BCBS though.

iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

That's very interesting. Thanks!