Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
102. I didn't pay much attention to the recommendations to tweak that. I might eventually start taking aspirin some day.

kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:12 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
97 to 101 for me. I hope not! My body parts are already wearing out and causing pain so why endure that for 40 more years?

Cut out 3 months longer....not likely...I would have been killed by falling downs the stairs while being sound asleep after getting out of beg.

Add exercise of 30 mintues per day for 4 days a week. That works out to be 12 years of exercise over 45 years at 39 minutes per day 4 days a week. 12 years to gain six months seems to not be worth it.

My diet is and has been pretty controlled for fats and cholesterol. I have been on Statins for over 20 years. My genes want me to make lots and lots of the stuff regardless of what I eat so that one is a real bear.

Increase sleep (don't I wish). I have had chronic insomnia and sleep apnea for years...decades. Years of experts and various drugs have not helped. My body does not want to sleep more than 5-6 hours now (it was 4-5 before ER).

I have a few ticking time bombs that will most likely make all of this quite unnessary. If I make it to 82 I will be amazed. If I make it to 90 I will be miserable.

Work? I don't have time to work....I'm retired.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:04 AM   #23
96 here because I haven't had blood work for cholesterol and diabetes in a while. Said I could also add more for the same reasons as Alan - live near family, cut my 2 cups of coffee and take aspirin every day.

Living near family, especially parents, would definately decrease my longevity. I have a good support system here which is all that really refers to, but with a few execption (late weekend afternoon for a drink) having anyone "drop in" makes me crazy.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
My results was 90 and like the rest I could make it till 97 if I improved my died and exercised more. I play a music for Nursing Home residents and while they are great people, I don't really care for their lifestyle. I know several people over 90. Only one lady has what I would call "good quality of life". My mom lived to 92 but the last three years of her life were not good.

I would prefer to live one of my uncle's life. He lived to 86 fully active and then suddenly died with a heart attack.
James Otis
James5v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #25
My grandfather (Mom's Dad) died just shy of 102, after declining surgery for a small tumor in his chest wall. He died with his mind intact and great story telling ability. After 90 he deeply missed his friends. He's my role model and what I picture for aging. My two grandmothers died in their early 90's, but the last few years weren't so good. Mom and Dad are now in their late 70's with few complaints, none new.

So my family set the bar high, as they did/do in all things, high achievers. This is one situation where there's no pressure. Whatever will be, will be.

P.S. Grandpa had two Molson's every night, Scotch on holidays.

kat is offline   Reply With Quote