Find out if you can live to 100 here!

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I saw this on CNN this morning, and thought I would share it with you folks. On the front page of this (scroll down) is the calculator for both US citizens and also for people who are living outside the US, which I found unusual for these things.
Personally, I think this is the best calculator I have done so far for those of us 49 & OVER:

Living To 100 Life Expectancy Calculator

Mine said 89 to 101, but told me to lose weight and I would gain 6 years, exercise more is one year and I could gain another year if there is no iron in my vitamins (interesting); but the biggest surprise--since I only drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day--is that I could gain .25 or 3 months of living longer if I cut out coffee!!! Now, that WAS a surprise.:confused:

Last edited:
I get to live until age 94 . . . which is (interestingly) within two years of the age three of my four grandparents lived to (the other died in his early 80s of heart disease).

I'll have to increase my projected burn rate. 150 years doesn't sound realistic anymore.:D

Says I'll live to be 90 and if I dot my "I"s and cross my "t"s (cut back on red meat, sweets, fast food and take an aspirin every day), I might live to be 98. I sort of thought that 85 would be long enough...hmmm. My nest egg spreadsheet goes to 100 and still has a nice chunk of change left for the kids. Geez, Louise...98...that's older than dirt! :eek:

I could gain .25 or 3 months of living longer if I cut out coffee!!! Now, that WAS a surprise.:confused:

Not even remotely worth it!

"They" keep going back and forth on the merits of coffee...it's full of bad stuff...maybe not...has antioxidents in it that make up for its shortcomings. Go figure. I have pretty much switched to tea..."they" pretty much all agree that it's beneficial. I have found that Tazo Awake (black tea) is just as effective as coffee in the mornings for me...and there's no acid coffee-mouth when you finish it.

I could live to be 104 or even longer if I moved near my Mother or maybe it would just seem longer .

I came out at 96 - 99, my biggest gainers being stop drinking caffeinated coffee +1 yr, start taking daily calcium supplements, +0.5 and live near family +0.5.

Living near to family is a tough one - children live in Texas, the rest of the family live in England, Scotland and Australia.

I was surprised my actual age was not requested, other than over 49.

I just love how these sort of tests always assume that it's healthy to interact with family members. They don't seem to realize that there are reasons people live 400 or more miles away from relatives.

Why is it healthy to interact with individuals (because they are 'family') when you wouldn't consider hanging around with those folks if they weren't relatives? Am I being coherent here?

Can't imaging anything worse....

than living to 100. Luckily the calculator reassures me that I will be off this mortal coil some time before then!

I just love how these sort of tests always assume that it's healthy to interact with family members. They don't seem to realize that there are reasons people live 400 or more miles away from relatives.

Why is it healthy to interact with individuals (because they are 'family') when you wouldn't consider hanging around with those folks if they weren't relatives? Am I being coherent here?

Yes, very. Some people have great families. It never occurs to some of them that others have dysfunctional or otherwise less than great families. They are walking around with blinders on.

95 for me. Kind of hard to believe considering the number of family members that died with cancer. But a couple of those were grand parents who simply hid their problem to long. Also my brother died at 56 with cancer. But my mother and her sister are 90 and 96, so a mix bag with my family.

The results said I could gain another 6 months if I got married. :LOL: I thought married people are suppose to live a lot longer than singles. Maybe that is happily married. :-\

Orchidflower,

Good Website thanks for the tip !

Did everyone get 2 numbers? I got 89 then a big arrow pointing to 101, which, I assume, means I could live to 101--just long enough to make my son's life a living hell, I guess--if I worked at it? I thought my point spread was big, and, now that I read your posts, I have no idea WHY my point spread was so big?
Amazingly, seems we all got varied answers as to what would help us live longer. Cool! I thought this website was alot of fun, and glad you guys did, I guess, too.
And, if I lived near family, I wouldn't have to worry about my drinking coffee or losing weight. I'd hang myself, so the problem would be solved...ha!

Mine was 88/96. My problem was mostly coffee and sweets. I guess I enjoy both of those vices too much to give them up. I feel that I should enjoy some pleasures in life (coffee/sweets) instead of just adding more time - time that may or may not be of good quality. I think 88 is a pretty good life span.

92 -> 97 for me.

Sounds like a curse.

One suggestion was to be more positive about aging.

"The good news is arthritis doesn't kill you.

The bad news is arthritis doesn't kill you."

My results 97 ----> 101 if I lose weight and lower my cholesterol and take aspirin. For some reason, living to 97 doesn't sound very appealing to me. :rolleyes: Most people that age are in nursing homes or disabled in some way.

102. I didn't pay much attention to the recommendations to tweak that. I might eventually start taking aspirin some day.

97 to 101 for me. I hope not! My body parts are already wearing out and causing pain so why endure that for 40 more years?

Cut out coffee...life 3 months longer....not likely...I would have been killed by falling downs the stairs while being sound asleep after getting out of beg.

Add exercise of 30 mintues per day for 4 days a week. That works out to be 12 years of exercise over 45 years at 39 minutes per day 4 days a week. 12 years to gain six months seems to not be worth it.

My diet is and has been pretty controlled for fats and cholesterol. I have been on Statins for over 20 years. My genes want me to make lots and lots of the stuff regardless of what I eat so that one is a real bear.

Increase sleep (don't I wish). I have had chronic insomnia and sleep apnea for years...decades. Years of experts and various drugs have not helped. My body does not want to sleep more than 5-6 hours now (it was 4-5 before ER).

I have a few ticking time bombs that will most likely make all of this quite unnessary. If I make it to 82 I will be amazed. If I make it to 90 I will be miserable.

96 here because I haven't had blood work for cholesterol and diabetes in a while. Said I could also add more for the same reasons as Alan - live near family, cut my 2 cups of coffee and take aspirin every day.

Living near family, especially parents, would definately decrease my longevity. I have a good support system here which is all that really refers to, but with a few execption (late weekend afternoon for a drink) having anyone "drop in" makes me crazy.

My results was 90 and like the rest I could make it till 97 if I improved my died and exercised more. I play a music for Nursing Home residents and while they are great people, I don't really care for their lifestyle. I know several people over 90. Only one lady has what I would call "good quality of life". My mom lived to 92 but the last three years of her life were not good.

I would prefer to live one of my uncle's life. He lived to 86 fully active and then suddenly died with a heart attack.

My grandfather (Mom's Dad) died just shy of 102, after declining surgery for a small tumor in his chest wall. He died with his mind intact and great story telling ability. After 90 he deeply missed his friends. He's my role model and what I picture for aging. My two grandmothers died in their early 90's, but the last few years weren't so good. Mom and Dad are now in their late 70's with few complaints, none new.

So my family set the bar high, as they did/do in all things, high achievers. This is one situation where there's no pressure. Whatever will be, will be.

kate

P.S. Grandpa had two Molson's every night, Scotch on holidays.

Back
Top Bottom