Join Early Retirement Today

Finger-stick Fasting Blood Cholesterol
Old 02-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Finger-stick Fasting Blood Cholesterol

I'm not clear on this. I'm going to go to a health fair and get a cholesterol test to see how 5 months of low carb (and high fat) affect my levels.

I talked to one of the organizers, saying I was going to fast, and he said "Oh no, we don't do the fasting cholesterol test, only the total."

Now, I had the feeling that those finger stick machines gave you all the numbers, HDL, LDL, and Triglycerides. So I figured that if I fast, then I can get all the information I need to calculat HDL and LDL.

Correct?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The LDL is calculated from the total and the triglycerides; the latter is greatly affected by eating. HDL is measured directly, so fasting is not necessary. If you don't fast, throw out the triglycerides and LDL.

FWIW, the "non-HDL" cholesterol (total - HDL) gives you the prognostic information very well.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
gone traveling

I get the finger stick total every eight weeks, when I contribute at the local blood bank and only get the total count.

However, since I'm a T2 diabetic, I do go to a heart care clinic every six months and get the fasting test which does the full breakdown of the three indicators (HDL, LDL, Tri's).

BTW, I do get elevated Tri's, but this has been traced back to possibly my slightly elevated ingestion of my daily infusion of wine ...

I have a blood test scheduled for next Monday and have not had a glass of vino for at least the last three weeks. Let's see how that works out

At least the wine gets the fats off the wall and well circulated (the doc dosen't buy that theory...)
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do those machines always give the level of the triglycerides?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Do those machines always give the level of the triglycerides?
No; it varies.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote