Join Early Retirement Today

FIRE, napping, and SWR
Old 02-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

FIRE, napping, and SWR

I may need to ask in Firecalc whether you nap or not -- here is something that seems really profound:

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddly...35458820070213

Excerpt:

Those who made it a practice of napping at least three times a week for a minimum of 30 minutes had a 37 percent lower risk of dying from heart disease compared to non-nappers.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: FIRE, napping, and SWR
Old 02-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wake me up once you make the change to FC.

Here's the journal abstract:

link

I wonder if they considered the total time spent sleeping.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

It doesn't look like they controlled for one major confound - personality type. Those who nap are likely not the aggressive go get 'em type A's. Thus, being of a more relaxed nature, less stressed -- could be that better cardiac outcomes follow.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Would be interesting to read the whole article, rather than just the abstract or the news reports.

Sandy -- did you see the whole article? The abstract says "After controlling for potential confounders..." but does not list them.

But in a peer reviewed research journal, I certainly hope they controlled for personality type -- a first year grad student wouldn't get away neglecting such an important factor.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #5

Quote:
It doesn't look like they controlled for one major confound - personality type. Those who nap are likely not the aggressive go get 'em type A's. Thus, being of a more relaxed nature, less stressed -- could be that better cardiac outcomes follow.
Good point. Might also be that they have jobs that ALLOW napping and are more restful / less stressful to begin with.

You know... security guards, mattress testers, supreme court justices... that kind of thing.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great example of how the press misrepresents scientific studies.

The results from the study:

"...siesta [napping] in apparently healthy individuals is inversely associated with coronary mortality"

Results according to news article:

"Regular naps are good for your heart, researchers said on Monday.

A six-year study of nearly 24,000 Greek adults found those who regularly took midday naps lowered their risk of dying from heart disease by more than a third."

Those are two very different things. Study said that napping was associated with lower chance of heart disease. Article said that napping causes you to have lower chance of heart disease.

An equally reasonable (perhaps more probable) interpretation is that Type A, high stress individuals, who tend to have more heart problems, don't take naps.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy
DING! DING! DING!

Cause and effect are often mistaken for each other...

I used to count on that in my former career as a bullshitter marketing guy.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline

You know... security guards, mattress testers, supreme court justices... that kind of thing.
Don't for get sleep researcher! When I did sleep research they let us take naps whenever we wanted!

Dory, no I didn't see the whole study, but I would hope they controlled for personality, but you never know. And Al nailed it - who knows what we get reading the distilled version.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

BTW, the only way to prove causality would be to do an "experiment" rather than a "study." That is randomly assign the people to the nap or non-nap group. The first would be required to take naps, the other prohibited from taking them.

Not going to happen, of course.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'll pull the article and give it a look if I find time this week.

There are those who believe (without solid proof) that "mindfulness meditation" does the same; perhaps blood pressure lowering is one factor. Most of this stuff is very hard to study due to unidentified variables, etc. A randomized controlled trial would be impractical, it appears.

There is biologic plausibility here. Evolution-wise, most primates nap after eating. Physiologically, your catecholamines fall with sleep, and these affect heart rate, blood pressure, blood sugar.

Most importantly, I love to nap on weekends at least, and plan to explore that hobby actively in retirement.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:50 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

What are catecholamines?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by califdreamer
What are catecholamines?
Adrenaline (and related chemicals); think Jolt.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Rich. Now I'm going to take me a nap and lose some of those catecholamines.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
There is biologic plausibility here. Evolution-wise, most primates nap after eating. Physiologically, your catecholamines fall with sleep, and these affect heart rate, blood pressure, blood sugar.
But most people die in their sleep, right? I've heard one theory on this: sleep apnea, which causes all sorts of interesting side-effects, including an increase in corticosteroids.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
But most people die in their sleep, right? I've heard one theory on this: sleep apnea, which causes all sorts of interesting side-effects, including an increase in corticosteroids.
I don't know if most people die in their sleep. I'd bet at least 8/24 of them do .

Sleep apnea is a whole other issue. Most are morbidly obese, and spend good portions of the night with dangerously low oxygen levels. They get arrhythmias, high blood pressure, and lots of other nasties (if untreated). They die a lot.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:35 PM   #16

Here's a different study that looks at mortality vs time asleep (including naps):

link

This one says you're more likely to die if you sleep more than 8 hrs/day.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
... or people that have underlying but unidentified chronic conditions need to sleep longer, or the longer sleepers contained more sleep apnea patients who slept poorly but longer, or the longer night sleeping group had higher cholesterols (they did, in the full article). The study is very flawed - won't bore you with the details.

Maybe there's a reason it got published in the Croatian Medical Journal instead of the Annals of Internal Medicine, or the New England Journal .

Old 02-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #18

OK, here's one with a million data points published in the US

link

I wasn't looking for these studies per se -- I was actually looking for the percentage of deaths during sleep for a baseline, but I can't easily find it via google....
Old 02-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
So per Rich's Theorum, that would make the odds 9/24 or 10/24?

Good one Rich...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #20

Rich's theorem makes sense, but I can't find any data to back it.

On the subject of sleep apnea, apparently 30 million or so suffer from it, and most go undiagnosed. And Rich only described OSA, but there is also a CNS type of apnea that probably becomes more common with age.

My guess is that the odds of sleep-related death is much higher than 8/24.

Aim to grow old and die peacefully in your sleep? Be careful what you wish for.